BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

I purchased a car to order and it was delivered with 70 miles on the odometer. This means the car that was built for me and paid by me was used by someone for 70 miles. Can't think of any other reason other than joyriding or showing it to customers.

My BMWFS documents state 15 as initial mileage, added as a precaution in case they had to move the car for anything.

I don't think the number itself it's a big deal (really), but as a matter of principle it really pisses me off. Am I exaggerating? Would you be pissed to? Would you ask for something to make things right?

Need a sanity check.

EDIT: I purchased the car out of state. I closed on the car. They put on the paperwork that I had 15 miles. They held it in storage for a few days until the trucking company picked it up and then the truck drove it down to South FL.

EDIT 2: same people have asked for further clarification. Here it goes. I bought two cars at the same time. Both ordered to spec, new. Both delivered to the same dealership. Both transported by the same truck from PA to FL. Both manufactured in the same factory in SC.

The truck picked up both cars at the dealership.

I saw them come down of the same flatbed at my home.

The X5 had 7 miles in the odo. The X3M, 70.

I want the dealership to account for that difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

I would be pissed.

But you did accept the delivery without asking reason for this from the sales guy? Why's that?
Or if you did say something, what kind of answer you did get?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 12:54 AM   #3
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman_fin View Post
I would be pissed.

But you did accept the delivery without asking reason for this from the sales guy? Why's that?
Or if you did say something, what kind of answer you did get?
It's more complicated in my case. I purchased the car out of state. I closed on the car. The held it in storage for a few days until the trucking company picked it up and then drove it down to South FL.

Theoretically the trucker could have done the driving, but I doubt he would unload the car, do 70 miles and put it back on…

In any case, there is paperwork signed when the car is picked up. If they didn't do the miles, they'll provide that to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:27 AM   #4
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Yeah I’d be a bit annoyed. Somebody has had themselves a nice few trips somewhere in a very nice car. I’d be concerned how they’d driven it and looked after it seeing as it’s not their car to worry about.

I’d be asking the dealer to explain.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:30 AM   #5
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I'd be furious. Aside from the principle, you KNOW they drove that thing like a race car, totally disregarding the break-in period. From zero miles, no less! I would be livid.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:48 AM   #6
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Zero is not possible for the cars that are build in US but need to be shipped to Europe. They drive the car to the factory parking lot, transport them to the harbour where they are also parked and then driven onto the RORO ships which transport them to the destination harbour and it's parking area.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:53 AM   #7
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Not sure if its doable one a BMW but on a Porsche you can check if it was rev of the redline.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #8
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Not sure if its doable one a BMW but on a Porsche you can check if it was rev of the redline.
Friend of mine works at the Harbor, and he said that lots of car manufacturers are installing specific software to cars when they leave factory. Some kind of "transport software".
It limits rpms and speed to very low. So impossible to over rev those.
After dealership gets the car, they will reinstall the software.

Cannot remember the brands what he named.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:21 AM   #9
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
Zero is not possible for the cars that are build in US but need to be shipped to Europe. They drive the car to the factory parking lot, transport them to the harbour where they are also parked and then driven onto the RORO ships which transport them to the destination harbour and it's parking area.
I purchased two cars st the same time from the same dealership. The X3M had 70 miles. The other one had 7 miles… I didn't want it to have 0 miles, but a reasonable amount
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:21 AM   #10
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Every new vehicle I have purchase has no more than 5 to 8 miles on the odometer. I believe BMW uses transport mode software, but you have now idea what could have been done to it in 70 miles. The purchase document stated 15 miles and the car has 70 that is fraud and you probably could have refused or asked for something in return. If you signed for your X with the vehicle not present to verify that is absolutely fraud and you have a case unless you signed a waver?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:42 AM   #11
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

I don't want to build a legal case to be frank.

I want them to say they are sorry and throw in something to compensate me for my troubles. I don't like to be treated like this as a customer, it is simply a dishonest practice.

I know it was probably driven hard. That's ok, I don't think they can do much damage to the car. It's not my biggest concern, but I was the one supposed to give her first spanking 😂
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      08-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #12
Drothgeb
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, M40i

I’d be pretty pissed, and would definitely want to get to the bottom of it. Our new M40i had 7 miles on it when we picked it up. If it was already prepped by the dealer before the trucking company received it, it would not have any software limiting rpms. They should be like our new boat. It restricted the rpms at first, then allowed them to gradually increase as the engine was broken in.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #13
V8MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CxD IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
I purchased a car to order and it was delivered with 70 miles on the odometer. This means the car that was built for me and paid by me was used by someone for 70 miles. Can't think of any other reason other than joyriding or showing it to customers.

My BMWFS documents state 15 as initial mileage, added as a precaution in case they had to move the car for anything.

I don't think the number itself it's a big deal (really), but as a matter of principle it really pisses me off. Am I exaggerating? Would you be pissed to? Would you ask for something to make things right?

Need a sanity check.

Wow man, WTF? Not to add to the fire here but that is absolute BS, I would be pissed if I received my car with even 10 miles on it! this is not a car that was on the lot at some dealership, this is your car that you ordered which that dealership was responsible for. I commend you for taking it in stride, because in the end, well, there are worst things in life, BUT, people need to be held accountable so this shit does not happen again because what happened is not normal in any way, otherwise, it will just continue to happen because no one gives a shit because there are no consequences....
      08-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #14
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post

Need a sanity check.

Wow man, WTF? Not to add to the fire here but that is absolute BS, I would be pissed if I received my car with even 10 miles on it! this is not a car that was on the lot at some dealership, this is your car that you ordered which that dealership was responsible for. I commend you for taking it in stride, because in the end, well, there are worst things in life, BUT, people need to be held accountable so this shit does not happen again because what happened is not normal in any way, otherwise, it will just continue to happen because no one gives a shit because there are no consequences....
Yeah, thanks for that. I needed that sanity check.

So, I don't think this is irreparable damage. But I do think it needs to be compensated. It is unacceptable and those miles added + the the inconvenience are worth money beyond the replacement cost if the miles.

Now I just need an apology and compensation. I am not an unreasonable man, but someone needs to be held accountable.

And by compensation, I am not expecting thousands of dollars or anything of the sort. A token of appreciation will do.

In the grand scheme of things, 60 miles is nothing. It will be long forgotten by the time. I hit 500 😁
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #15
Chevyguy2021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi A3 Sline

I would be pissed but then I wouldn't. Its 70 miles, not 700.
Sure you paid for a new car, you got a new car (unless its not in mint shape)

When I purchased a new car years ago, I went to test drive it and was surprised to see it had 300 miles on it. I asked about it. They said it went home a few times on a few different test drives. I gave it a very through inspection before I signed the papers. No scuffs, marks, stone chips, etc. It was in brand new shape. So it didn't bother me.
Sure I didn't know how it was driven in those 300 miles BUT it was a great car for the 30k miles I had it for 18 months. Never skipped a beat or burned any oil.

If its a dealership you will never see again, give a stink and see if you can get something free. If its a dealer you might do business with in the future, and there is nothing to claim (scratches interior, scratched door, paint chips, etc) just let it slide. You would have probably but 70 miles on it the day you got it? IDK. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #16
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy2021 View Post
I would be pissed but then I wouldn't. Its 70 miles, not 700.
Sure you paid for a new car, you got a new car (unless its not in mint shape)

When I purchased a new car years ago, I went to test drive it and was surprised to see it had 300 miles on it. I asked about it. They said it went home a few times on a few different test drives. I gave it a very through inspection before I signed the papers. No scuffs, marks, stone chips, etc. It was in brand new shape. So it didn't bother me.
Sure I didn't know how it was driven in those 300 miles BUT it was a great car for the 30k miles I had it for 18 months. Never skipped a beat or burned any oil.

If its a dealership you will never see again, give a stink and see if you can get something free. If its a dealer you might do business with in the future, and there is nothing to claim (scratches interior, scratched door, paint chips, etc) just let it slide. You would have probably but 70 miles on it the day you got it? IDK. Just my thoughts.
Well, the number of miles isn't a big deal. I agree with you.

But remember, the car wasn't on the lot. It was purchased by me from the factory. Nobody needed to drive it… it was sold. I finalized the paperwork the day it arrived to the dealership. The paperwork says 15 miles odo. I gave them like 10 miles of grace to move it around. Think about how far 67 miles is. Nobody puts that much in by mistake.

It really bothers me that they took my car, paid and signed for, and went on a joy ride or test drove it. Maybe it was one of the first they received and were curious. But isn't 10 miles enough to test it?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #17
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I'd be pissed. I usually go by the adage of "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar". So, I would call the sales manager, politely explain the situation, and ask why the miles were put on your brand new car. Let him do some investigating and come up with a way of compensating you for those miles.

Me, I'd probably expect a couple free oil changes outside of the provided maintenance period, or something like that.
      08-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
I'd be pissed. I usually go by the adage of "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar". So, I would call the sales manager, politely explain the situation, and ask why the miles were put on your brand new car. Let him do some investigating and come up with a way of compensating you for those miles.

Me, I'd probably expect a couple free oil changes outside of the provided maintenance period, or something like that.
Same here. I wrote a respectful email and explained it's an issue that can be fixed, but I want info about what happened and a compensation proposal. I also said I was disappointed in this, hopefully they can handle it well.

That's it.
Appreciate 1
jsh1391705.50
      08-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #19
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
Beside the point. Mine had three miles when delivered. 0/1200 or 3/1200, the idea remains.
Appreciate 1
f82fanatic1043.00
      08-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
montanaman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 Msport ..

Sadly this is the new world we live in. No one is accountable and certainly no apologizes for anything anymore. I have found when I corner someone with a wrong they have done me they just hang up or walk away.... and that's even when I am paying them for their products or services. I call it "post Covid lazy"
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #21
zukmeister
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm betting that the launch control was used less than 10 times.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #22
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukmeister View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm betting that the launch control was used lass than 10 times.
Haha. I don't care about that. I think people take the break-in period too seriously. 1, 10 or 100 times, that is not the problem.
Appreciate 0