BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
Joe Gro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

Sunroof UV protection?

Does anyone know if the tint on the sunroof blocks UV, both UVA and UVB? I think regular glass blocks UVA but not B.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Regular glass blocks B and some A. Laminated glass and those with various coatings can block A to a much greater degree.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

When I close the sunroof glass, there's a noticeable heat reduction, so I'd say yes.
      08-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
When I close the sunroof glass, there's a noticeable heat reduction, so I'd say yes.
Don't confuse IR with UV energy...
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      08-28-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Unless you are going through life doused with sunblock and carrying a golfers sized umbrella deployed above you at all times then I wouldn't be too concerned about your sunroof glass panel's ability to hinder UVA or UVB.
I understand that some people enjoy their open hole in the roof for a medley of reasons but have never gotten the point of just having the glass panel closed with the blocker retracted. What does that do for anybody?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Personally, if offered, I'd opt to NOT have the glass panel up there...it's heavy, expensive, and that weight is all in the wrong place!

Glass will block some UV rays...I don't know how well it blocks all of them. If that's an issue for you, 3M's Crystalline Tint is the only one recognized by the Cancer Society to block UV rays. I'm not saying some others might, but they've not gotten that endorsement that I've seen.

If you leave the blind open most of the time, the amount of UV could become an issue to damaging some of the interior materials. I haven't heard of that being a problem, but the G05 hasn't been out all that long in the scheme of things where it would be readily apparent to most.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #7
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you leave the blind open most of the time, the amount of UV could become an issue to damaging some of the interior materials. I haven't heard of that being a problem, but the G05 hasn't been out all that long in the scheme of things where it would be readily apparent to most.
I don't think G05 is somehow different from the previous models that have had similar glass roofs for the last XX years. I agree that they have their disadvantages being heavy, mechanically complex, requiring maintenance and always being a risk of water leaks into the cabin. In my E61 it's caused 10K in damages for me when (after the warranty expired) a drain pipe got clogged and rain water flooded the trunk burning all electronics that were located there. And it rattled wildly before that and the dealer kept saying it was normal. It was driving me mad. So I hated it wholeheartedly and said to myself I'd never order that option ever again. That being said, I didn't have any issues with the cabin materials being damaged by the sun because of the glass roof being constantly open.

However, a glass sunroof also changes the cabin ambiance completely. For me it makes driving even more pleasant. So after many years I've ordered it again (in my country it comes as a paid option). I'm almost certain that by the time I change cars, I will hate it again and my next car will again not have it but for the time being I'm enjoying it. And I will have my dealer do the regular maintenance - blow and clean the drain pipes, clean the sealing and service the opening mechanism.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15589.00
      08-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
UV primer. UVA, UVB, UVC: 100-400nM wavelength electromagnetic energy. Shorter wavelength UVC - for practical purposes - never reaches Earth's surface because of our ozone layer. Because otherwise everybody fries, and everybody dies thing. Ordinary glass blocks most UVB (about 5% of UV radiation reaching Earth - sunburn stuff). About 75-80% of UVA (the bulk of UV radiation reaching Earth - skin cancer stuff) is transmitted through ordinary, single pane glass. Laminated glass blocks almost all (99%) of all UV radiation wavelengths. So your windshield will protect you from all UV. If you have acoustic glass side windows, same. If ordinary tempered glass, most UVB, and some UVA. The BMW sunroof (as of 2018 still tempered glass), most UVB, some UVA. Tinting, depending, can reduce UVA by 99%. Depending.

Last edited by Paladin1; 08-29-2021 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #9
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
UV primer. UVA, UVB, UVC: 100-400nM wavelength electromagnetic energy. Shorter wavelength UVC - for practical purposes - never reaches Earth's surface because of our ozone layer. Because otherwise everybody fries, and everybody dies thing. Ordinary glass blocks most UVB (about 5% of UV radiation reaching Earth - sunburn stuff). About 75-80% of UVA (the bulk of UV radiation reaching Earth - skin cancer stuff) is transmitted through ordinary, single pane glass. Laminated glass blocks almost all (99%) of all UV radiation wavelengths. So your windshield will protect you from all UV. If you have acoustic glass side windows, same. If ordinary tempered glass, most UVB, and some UVA. The BMW sunroof (as of 2018 still tempered glass), most UVB, some UVA. Tinting, depending, can reduce UVA by 99%. Depending.
Thanks for this great, informative explanation: I had no idea. Very helpful.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15589.00
      08-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Unless you are going through life doused with sunblock and carrying a golfers sized umbrella deployed above you at all times then I wouldn't be too concerned about your sunroof glass panel's ability to hinder UVA or UVB.
I understand that some people enjoy their open hole in the roof for a medley of reasons but have never gotten the point of just having the glass panel closed with the blocker retracted. What does that do for anybody?
Makes the cabin feel much larger and open.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Makes the cabin feel much larger and open.
Yes, and brighter too: I love the sunroof! It feels kind of like being in a convertible without all the wind and the drag…
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      06-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #12
curiousbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

how much of sunlight is blocked with panoramic sunroof in 2022 X5 Model? Do they darken as the sun is brighter?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbmw View Post
how much of sunlight is blocked with panoramic sunroof in 2022 X5 Model? Do they darken as the sun is brighter?
I don't know the light transmission, but as far as I can tell, there's no photochromatic dimming of the glass. A good tint supplier will likely have a light meter that could tell you.
Appreciate 0