E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need advice regarding exhaust, LSD

11-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Question Need advice regarding exhaust, LSD

Hi,

I’m a newbie here and I’ve got some questions.
I bought a ’07 E92 335i MT recently. A brilliant vehicle, but stock isn’t fast enough.
I’m thinking of installing catless DPs, catback, Vishnu V3 and LSD.
So, my questions are:
1) Which DP and catback manufacturer would you recommend? I was thinking of Riss Racing catless DPs, but I have no idea which catback manufacturer to go for… I really don’t want it to be very loud. And if it isn’t possible to keep the sound level on a “reasonable” level with these mods, I’d consider changing only the DPs.
2) Which LSD would you recommend? The only manufactured I know is Quaife
3) I really like the HP and torque curves (I’ve got the dyno run scans and can post it if someone is interested) and drivability of the stock car: plenty of torque from 2k rpm, no lag, instant response to throttle. Will the V3 change the drivability (for instance, shift the maximum torque to higher rpm)? What about lag?
Any other pieces of advice would be appreciated.
edo
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

There are quite a few choices for everything you looking for do a search and see what fits your needs the best. Here is a summary, I am sure others will add more comments:

Downpipes:
Ultimate Racing - First to market and is a 2.5" design. Haven't heard of any fitment issues. Have not heard of any customer support complaints.

Riss Racing - Different design than UR but people have reported fitment issues with their first generation pipes, they made changes to the second generation ones (looks like they just cut part of the pipe to address the fitment issues). Some have reported that customer support isn't up to par.

AR Design - 3" design and excellent fitment with great customer support.

LSD:

Quaife - ATB LSD Decently priced if you have a non-welded diff if yours is welded the price almost doubles and you need to do a complete rear end swap.

I believe there are others such as RDsport and Hamann, searching will give you more information.

Exhaust:
Many many choices, do a search and listen to sound clips since its a subjective thing. Some are true catbacks that replace the mid pipes and remove the secondary cats, others are just mufflers.

I have the Vishnu/Harman Motive exhaust which includes the mid pipes, it isnt very loud during normal driving and has a throatie note to it. It does get loud when you are WOT though. It sounds great with catless downpipes.

The Procede V3 is a great product, it will tranform your car in power and driveability. The latest maps and firmware really keep lag to a minimum while providing excellent throttle response.

Don't forget to look at intakes as well, there are several options for this. Many people are running either the AFE dual cone or the Vishnu/BMW/homemade dual cone intakes with success.

Which every route you go, you will end up with a monster for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
edo
Mexico
Rep

Thanks a lot for the fast and comprehensive reply!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Check as well the JB3 for tuning.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
downpipes - ar design def

exhaust - autobahn exotics seems best to me, very nice noise

and the v3 barely charges the power curve at all... i believe their max hp is at the same or +/- 100 rpm as the stock 5800... it doesnt even feel like its tuned... high rpms is where it really takes off
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Hi,

I’m a newbie here and I’ve got some questions.
I bought a ’07 E92 335i MT recently. A brilliant vehicle, but stock isn’t fast enough.
I’m thinking of installing catless DPs, catback, Vishnu V3 and LSD.
So, my questions are:
1) Which DP and catback manufacturer would you recommend? I was thinking of Riss Racing catless DPs, but I have no idea which catback manufacturer to go for… I really don’t want it to be very loud. And if it isn’t possible to keep the sound level on a “reasonable” level with these mods, I’d consider changing only the DPs.
2) Which LSD would you recommend? The only manufactured I know is Quaife
3) I really like the HP and torque curves (I’ve got the dyno run scans and can post it if someone is interested) and drivability of the stock car: plenty of torque from 2k rpm, no lag, instant response to throttle. Will the V3 change the drivability (for instance, shift the maximum torque to higher rpm)? What about lag?
Any other pieces of advice would be appreciated.
edo
Hi Edo,

1. Riss Racing's Downpipe is the way to go. If you don't want it to get overly loud, just add their mid-pipes.
2. I highly recommend either the AA or the Quaife LSDs
3. No
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

I am a big fan of our 3" Hi-Flo™ downpipes - proudly hand crafted here in the USA
      11-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
advice to op: don't listen to vendors... Obviously ar design won't tell you to get Riss and **********s won't tell you to get ar... Ask peopewho have the stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
thanks for the advice captain obvious
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quaife is currently the best solution for your vehicle. There are other options, but will be more expensive.

I'll let others tell you about tuning and exhaust options.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Quaife is currently the best solution for your vehicle. There are other options, but will be more expensive.

I'll let others tell you about tuning and exhaust options.
harold, just got my LSD but it is not installed yet.

just wanted to say thanks for the great and fast service, and the group buy discount
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB335 View Post
thanks for the advice captain obvious
thanks for the informative post

haha but seriously.. handle it

:finger:
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
edo
Mexico
Rep

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've watched all the exhaust videos.
I liked the Harman Motive / Vishnu Tuning exhaust sound. I wonder if it gets much louder with catless DPs?
I also liked the Autobahn Exotics exhaust sound.
Borla exhaust's sound is very nice, but with catless DPs it is too noisy... Other manufacturers' exhausts are too lould as well.

I'm confused. Maybe I should get catless DPs and leave the remaining parts of the exhaust system stock? But I want the max power whit min noise...

And could someone explain, what the difference between 2.5" and 3" DPs is?

One more question regarding Vishnu: whats the difference between "Rev. II Plug and Play PROcede Race" (http://www.vishnutuning.com/V3PNPRace.htm) and "Vishnu PROcede v3 PNP Computer" (http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_zero.htm)?. Which one should I get?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I liked the Harman Motive / Vishnu Tuning exhaust sound. I wonder if it gets much louder with catless DPs?
Borla exhaust's sound is very nice, but with catless DPs it is too noisy... Other manufacturers' exhausts are too lould as well.

I'm confused. Maybe I should get catless DPs and leave the remaining parts of the exhaust system stock? But I want the max power whit min noise...

I will give you advice, don't buy the Harman exhaust its not for you based upon you last statement...not wanting it too loud! Get either AE or the CPE exhaust...they both will be to your liking and taste!

One more question regarding Vishnu: whats the difference between "Rev. II Plug and Play PROcede Race" (http://www.vishnutuning.com/V3PNPRace.htm) and "Vishnu PROcede v3 PNP Computer" (http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_zero.htm)?. Which one should I get?
I think you should do a search of the exhaust before you purchase one...especially the Harman one because from what I hear it DRONES like a bitch...I see alot of OPs trying it without searching if indeed they want this exhaust and having to sell it because it sounds LOUD and Drones like I said a be-atch!!! V3 is indeed in my opinion the choice of tunes right now, but who know what next month will bring...If i were to buy DPs, base upon the fitment I would go AR!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
edo check this about vishnu http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181608

Quote:

E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #16
edo
Mexico
Rep

OK, could someone suggest, which way I should go:
1) get catless DPs, O2 sim and leave the remaining parts of the exhaust stock;
2) get catted DPs and aftermarket catbacks;
3) catless DPs, O2 sim + aftermarket catback.

Keeping in mind, that I want max power but I don't want the exhaust to be too loud (and, of course, no drone, rasp whatsoever).

The more I search, the more confused I get...

Last edited by edo; 11-17-2008 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #17
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
edo

if u will want more power u will need to get non resonated catback + catlles dp and it will be rasp
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
OK, could someone suggest, which way I should go:
1) get catless DPs, O2 sim and leave the remaining parts of the exhaust stock;
2) get catted DPs and aftermarket catbacks;
3) catless DPs, O2 sim + aftermarket catback.

Keeping in mind, that I want max power but I don't want the exhaust to be too loud (and, of course, no drone, rasp whatsoever).

The more I search, the more confused I get...
I would start out with catless downpipes and the stock cat-back. Sounds really nice, no rasp or drone. If its not loud enough, you can always get a resonated cat-back.

ar
      12-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
edo
Mexico
Rep

OK, guys,

I already have the RevII (havent installed it yet, as it is winter here in Lithuania).

Remaining items on "to buy" list:
Quaife LSD
Catless DPs (almost decided, which manufacturer to go for)
UUC Evo3 short shifter
Forge Motorsports Diverter Valve
Intake

I have some questions regarding last item. I did search the forum and got an impression that folks here prefer DCIs over CAIs. Why is it so?

Intake is one of the cheapest mods, but it doesn't make the choice easier... I really can't decide which one to go for.

DCIs have one negative aspect - there's no heat shield and AFe's "heat shield" seems to block the incomming air.

I had an open (not heat shielded) Green cone filter in my previous beemer (E39 528i) and the performance actually got a bit worse.

CAIs seem to be a better solution, but for some reason they aren't as popular as DCIs and the installation is more complicated.

I'd definitely go Gruppe M intake, but it's way too expensive...

Any suggestions?

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
BOOST3D
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2000,X5 2003,2008 335i

for downpipes ar is the way to go.
i have rr downpipes but a friend of mine has ar, the ar one looks like a better designed but about preformence i cant tell the difference.
catback id say get something with resonators.
v3 is a great choice for tuning.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
edo
Mexico
Rep

yep, I almost decided to go for ar DPs.

Appreciate 0