BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

11-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I did a search....

...but couldn't locate a definitive answer to my question.

What do you guys wash your cars with? I'm looking to purchase some car care products that aren't overly expensive, and I am looking for suggestions. I've read the multiple threads about how to clay, wax, etc. the car, but I haven't found anything about basic washing.

Specificially, I'd like some inexpensive soap recommendations as well as washing material recommendations. Microfiber is the obvious drying material of choice.

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
drZ
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: black sapphire e92

hmmm..very specific question for a very variable answer..its all down to personal preference i'd say..some use menzerna's wash,mother's,zymol's etc etc..i specifically use the meguiar's nxt body wash..not too expensive,nice mild fragrance,doesnt wash off wax and easily washes off the body during rinsing..but i'm no expert though..the detailers on this forum will definitely chime in soon..wait for it..
You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drZ View Post
hmmm..very specific question for a very variable answer..its all down to personal preference i'd say..some use menzerna's wash,mother's,zymol's etc etc..i specifically use the meguiar's nxt body wash..not too expensive,nice mild fragrance,doesnt wash off wax and easily washes off the body during rinsing..but i'm no expert though..the detailers on this forum will definitely chime in soon..wait for it..
I do realize that the responses will vary based on preference, but I'm just looking for some general opinions on products to use. Thanks for the Meguiar's reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

I use zaino Z7. It's like 8 bux 16 fl. ozs. Last week a truck drove into a mud puddle and sprayed my car with mud that dried. I took it to wash it, water only and you could still see the spots. Some Z7 and ran my sponge over it (without pressing, just used sponge's weight) took it right off with no spots. I could see my face on my car in shock lol (jet black). 2 bottle caps per gallon of water and you get suds pouring out of the bucket like crazy. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

I use Meguiars Gold Class soap with a microfiber mitt and a 2 pail system with grit guard

After that a mf to dry and then a leaf blower to take care of the tough spots
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I use Meguiars Gold Class soap with a microfiber mitt and a 2 pail system with grit guard

After that a mf to dry and then a leaf blower to take care of the tough spots
Can you please explain your 2 pail system with grit guard?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Can you please explain your 2 pail system with grit guard?
Not meaning to steal your question man but what he means is he uses 2 buckets. One bucket you put your washing soap in and fill with water and the other you just fill with clean water. the grit guard is placed in the water only bucket. When you wash, Dip your sponge in the soapy water and wash then wring it and clean it in the water only bucket, wring it, then place it in the soapy water bucket again. That way your soapy water bucket will always stay clean and you wont be reusing dirty water to clean your car over and over. The grit guard keeps small debris at the bottom of the water only bucket so you dont scratch your car. There you have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Chemical guys

I've started using this product from chemical guys:
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Car_Wash..._p/cws_107.htm

It works very nice, only takes a capful per gallon, so should last a long time. It enhances the gloss, doesn't take off whats there, suds & washes nice. I'm happy with it thus far.

Technique wise, there are some good videos and instructions around you can find (that is what I used).

I use microfiber wash mitts and the two bucket with grit guard method. Two buckets is where one bucket has your sudsy water, the other just clean water. You dunk the wash mitt in the suds, wash, rinse in the clean water. Using the grit guard at the bottom to help scrape off any particles, etc. Basically so you don't end up swirling around particles against your paint adding swirls.

I have one mit I only use for lower half of the car, and another for the upper. Don't want all the road grime from the lowers being used against the hood. I also usually change the rinse water at least once during.

Drying is also critical, and of course big microfiber is important. Don't wipe, just flop on car and soak up standing water. I then finish with a detailing spray so there are no water spots... results are great on Jerez Black. It sounds elaborate, but it really doesn't take long. I go slow, and I can do it in an hour.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

the groits garage wash is great, p21s is my second choice.
http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=10420

try p21s wax, it is the best stuff out there.
      11-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Sheep Skin mitt and P21S Auto wash is all you really need. If you want to go all out then get a foam gun some Poorboys soap and suds, mix it with some P21S dilute both with water and voila you got a concoction that will provide an amazing foamy wash. I also recommend a water filer like the CRSpotless if you want to go all out. Oh and get two buckets with two grit guards! One with the soap and one with just plain water where you can squeeze the dirt off in.

Another mitt good to use are the microfiber ones. Good luck to you in your detailing! Need more help I am only a PM away!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

sheep skin mitt is the key isn't it? i use two.
      11-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
DICKER 1
That Dr. DICKER to You
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 11.5ZCP Coupe'/ /Ducati's

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
I will change from my Microfiber to Sheep Skin

My current setup includes:
2 Buckets
Microfiber mitt(from Target) 1 for the wheels/ 1 for the Body
Quick Detail
Quick Wax
NXT Wash &
Meguiar Deep Crystal wash(btw love the smell)

---Interior---
Lexol

_--Wheels---
Hot Wheels All Wheel Cleaner

What are you guy's opinion on the gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner?
Im need something to make the tires shine, without the messy residue.
Does anyone see anything i should change in my setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I definitely have enough info to begin my detail process. One additional question however........Is sheepskin better (..or worse) than microfiber?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

My favorite is Einszett Glanz shampoo, followed by Poorboys and then P21S. Two buckets, grit guard, etc.

I had been using sheepskin mitts but found the inner liner dries out pretty quickly in my climate and gets very stiff after a month or two - I was constantly having to buy new ones. I have since switched to a microfiber mitt from Griot's and like it so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Chemical Guys is the way to go. Check out this package, I think it is great package for anyone!

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Detaili..._p/spi_151.htm
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #16
Z06_7.0l
Rep
Drives: slow truck

Give Optimum No Rince(ONR) a try. With the two bucket system it cant be beat!

Appreciate 0