E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Leaky strut E93 M Sport, upgrade or oem replacement? Newb!

09-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Benjiman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
2009 E93 335i  [0.00]
Leaky strut E93 M Sport, upgrade or oem replacement? Newb!

Hello everyone, my front right strut has failed and is leaking so replacements are needed asap. It's an E93 2009 335i M Sport with RFT on at the moment.

I'm a total newb to suspension upgrades so not sure if I want an upgrade or oem replacement. I can't even figure out what the oem strut brand is and I'm usually good at that stuff, I have narrowed it down to either Sachs or Bilstein however. Does anyone know which?

My RealOEM part numbers are as follows;
31316785591 Front Left
31316785592 Front Right
33526780199 Rear

I live in London and there are a lot of pot holes and speed bumps! From my research I know that ditching the RTFs for non RTFs will make those a little less harsh, so I plan to do that when I next need tyres.

The current suspension setup is all oem but I'm not sure if I'd like to lower it slightly in the future, nothing silly considering the pot holes and speed bumps, I don't want to be going over speed bumps at crawling pace!

I love the oem bmw smoothness, I want to keep as close to that as possible. Is this even a possibility once lowered?
I plan to track the car maybe 1-2 times a year. On one hand I have never driven on a track before so won't be going crazy, on the other hand I have never driven on a track before so maybe I'll end up wanting to go more than 1-2 times a year.

I also briefly read about the 335i M3 upgrades for steering / suspension, would these upgrades affect the oem smoothness feel? I haven't driven any other E9x models let alone an M3 so I don't know how they feel.

I plan on keeping the car forever really, I'll be doing almost all the maintenance myself.

So basically I'm not sure if I should just replace with OEM and possibly need to replace them again in the future, or just upgrade now?
If I wanted to upgrade now what options do I have? Would I be best getting an adjustable setup or just trying to make a decision once I have a bit more info?
With an adjustable setup, does that mean you need to change springs each time you adjust them? I was under the impression that the springs change the ride height not the struts? As I say I'm a total newb so could be wrong.

Kind regards,

Benjamin
Appreciate 0