F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Ambient Temp Sensor Ripped - Engine Light
GetBMWParts

09-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
alpinene
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Ambient Temp Sensor Ripped - Engine Light

Hey folks,

I'm a new guy in the forums and have only done cosmetic stuff to my 13 328ix.

Just this morning my undercarriage shield and left (driver side) wheel splash guard partially ripped away on the highway. I managed to drive home and take them off... but I noticed that my ambient temp sensor cable (blue) ripped right at the end of the sensor itself. And I think that triggered the check engine light.

Is that a possible light trigger?

If not, the other probable cause for the engine light could be that I've been notified that I'm due for service for about 1-2 weeks now - through the screen module, so perhaps an overdue message triggers the light. Otherwise, my car is in great mechanical shape.

More importantly, I'm just concerned about what happens if I decide not to get the ambient temp sensor rewired/fixed.

Does you have knowledge or experience with that? What sort of issues I could face in the future, for ex. my AC system malfunctioning..

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Unlikely to be that which gives you the engine light but you never know. Bearing in mind the damage you describe, I would check that the lambda sensor (O2 sensor) on the exhaust and its wiring are ok as anything wrong with that will throw and engine light immediately. It also may impact the engine efficency as it helps manage the fuel ratio and emissions etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The only way to perform a diagnosis is with an OBD diagnosis and repair tool. With BMW they're essential.
Appreciate 0