E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Having problems with 328i

10-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
Cuckooface
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Having problems with 328i

Alot of the modules are not responding and I have no idea on why they are not and the car does not start its weird because one day to the next it stopped working I just need somebody's help because I am currently a new owner of bmw and really trying to learn more about the car and maybe someone could help me out TeamViewer I got ista both I need somebody's experienced help
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckooface View Post
Alot of the modules are not responding... and the car does not start its weird because one day to the next it stopped working ... I got ista...
Questions:
1) You have 2006 328i?
2) You have ISTA working?

Please post ScreenPrints of the following ISTA Screens:
A) Control Unit Tree
B) Fault Memory Display

If you don't know how to save ISTA ScreenPrint as a jpg file to attach here, see the steps in the attached INPA Tutorial Quickstart (procedure same for ANY screen in ANY Windows Program. If you need any help on HOW to display those two screens, OR how to save ScreenPrints of those Screens and attach them here, please let us know.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 22 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #3
Cuckooface
Rep

:mad0260:
Quote:
How do I post picture on here
Attached Images

Last edited by Cuckooface; 11-13-2021 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Always check the battery voltage first

Always check the battery voltage first
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
A lot of the modules are not responding and I have no idea on why they are not and the car does not start...
Questions:
Does the Starter Crank the Engine when START button pressed w/Brake/Clutch?
If Starter Cranks engine, does engine sputter or attempt to fire?
On your ISTA "Control Unit Tree", what color is the JBE Module (can't tell from your photo attachment)?

Suggested "Next Steps":
1) Read Paragraph II (C) at bottom of first page of "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf which I attached to Post #2 above. That explains HOW to save ScreenPrint of ANY Windows Computer Screen. That pdf relates to INPA, but procedure is SAME for ISTA.

2) View, Save ScreenPrint, and ATTACH ScreenPrint (jpg format) of the ISTA Screens: (A) Control Unit Tree, & (B) Fault Memory Display.

You already viewed the "Control Unit Tree" and took a "Selfie" in your computer screen. To see the Fault Memory (list of fault codes in ALL Modules), just click the button "Display fault memory" at the Bottom-Right of the Control Unit Tree screen.

That Fault Memory list may be MORE than ONE screen. If so, make/save ScreenPrint of 1st screen; scroll down to start of 2nd screen; Make/Save ScreenPrint of 2nd screen, etc.

I realize it is frustrating to learn new stuff, particularly when there are NOT clear instructions or videos available to see how easy it really is. If the steps above are NOT clear, please let me know.

With 9 or 10 Modules suddenly NOT communicating at all (Red on Tree), 1st thing to check is the JBE which is the "Gateway" for all Bus/Communication Activity in vehicle. Did it get wet? Is/Was there water in passenger footwell?

Diagnosis of an issue like this takes time, patience, getting ALL the "Clues" from ISTA, and properly evaluating those clues. Please just take it a step at a time, and we'll LEARN together.
George
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Alot of the modules are not responding and I have no idea on why they are not and the car does not start its weird because one day to the next it stopped working I just need somebody's help because I am currently a new owner of bmw and really trying to learn more about the car and maybe someone could help me out TeamViewer I got ista both I need somebody's experienced help
Check your COM port settings in "device manager" Windows has a bad habit of automatically changing these settings when doing "windows update" and the end result is several modules not communicating exactly like you have here.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
Cuckooface
Rep

So what are you willing to help me via TeamViewer I just got k dcan I don't have icom will still be able to be used to fix or try to fix it and well the engine will turn over but there is no spark or fire to the plugs
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #8
Cuckooface
Rep

Help me somebody
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you are running ista and getting results as listed your interface is working.
The ICOM is only required for Most Bus programming and en mass updates
on the car.

Did you measure the battery voltage?

Instead of trying to take a picture use the windows utility's like Snipping tool to take
screen shots .
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:44 PM   #10
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So what are you willing to help me via TeamViewer I just got k dcan I don't have icom will still be able to be used to fix or try to fix it and well the engine will turn over but there is no spark or fire to the plugs
Im not talking about an ICOM. When you installed ista did you configure the COM port settings on your laptop properly and set the latency timer to 1??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:59 PM   #11
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Guy has a printout of ista working why do you think there is something
wrong with the interface?

Can you measure the battery voltage?

Also can you perform the steps George asked for and reply .
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:07 AM   #12
F31B48
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Guy has a printout of ista working why do you think there is something
wrong with the interface?
Because this exact thing happens if the com port settings and latency timer are not configured after installing ista......... multiple modules not communicating with ista
Windows updates have also been known to reset the latency timer to 16 after an update which results in the same scenario......... multiple modules not communicating with ista
It happens to me sometimes. I have also seen George post about the issue before. Just something to check before diving into in depth analysis. Only takes 2 minutes to check.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ok I was under the impression that Ista wouldn't run at all but I could
be wrong. If George says this is true I would tend to believe it.
Next question is does he have Inpa.
I remember trying to run Ista and having it not work dropped back to Inpa
and the latency wasn't set to one, but it wouldn't run at all with that setting.
However I think if you haven't run either in awhile it is always better to
check Inpa is running.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:22 AM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Seems we've lost OP -- no post for 2+ days.
So that means we can get on the same page.
EvaBmw is correct (as usual ;-).

EITHER INPA or ISTA can show Missing/ NON-communcating modules when Latency is "Reset" to 16 (from 1 msec), as often happens when Microsoft "Takes Over" your computer and does "Windows Updates".

I've seen less than the normal 20 modules in INPA > Functional Jobs > F2, Identification where ALL Modules should appear. Sometimes repeatedly pressing < Enter > causes all the screen to appear.

I had similar thing happen with ISTA Control Unit Tree. NOT as many Red Modules as OP's Screen photo showed, but 3 to 5. Sure enough Windows had "updated" Latency to 16. Reset to 1 allowed normal Function.

So FIRST thing to check when there is ANY abnormal Screen Display, or when INPA "Stops" instead of "Running" is COM Port Latency. In OP's case, since he said car would NOT start, I was expecting a significant issue with Fault Codes in CAS or DME, and missed the fact that EvaBmw emphasized.

"OP, IF you're listening", please open the pdf attached to post #2 in this thread and follow the procedure at top of 1st page to check/reset Com Port = "COM1", and Latency Timer (msec) = "1". You will be greatly rewarded.
George
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #15
Cuckooface
Rep

https://ibb.co/8KbQszh
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Questions:
Does the Starter Crank the Engine when START button pressed w/Brake/Clutch?
If Starter Cranks engine, does engine sputter or attempt to fire?
On your ISTA "Control Unit Tree", what color is the JBE Module (can't tell from your photo attachment)?

Suggested "Next Steps":
1) Read Paragraph II (C) at bottom of first page of "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf which I attached to Post #2 above. That explains HOW to save ScreenPrint of ANY Windows Computer Screen. That pdf relates to INPA, but procedure is SAME for ISTA.

2) View, Save ScreenPrint, and ATTACH ScreenPrint (jpg format) of the ISTA Screens: (A) Control Unit Tree, & (B) Fault Memory Display.

You already viewed the "Control Unit Tree" and took a "Selfie" in your computer screen. To see the Fault Memory (list of fault codes in ALL Modules), just click the button "Display fault memory" at the Bottom-Right of the Control Unit Tree screen.

That Fault Memory list may be MORE than ONE screen. If so, make/save ScreenPrint of 1st screen; scroll down to start of 2nd screen; Make/Save ScreenPrint of 2nd screen, etc.

I realize it is frustrating to learn new stuff, particularly when there are NOT clear instructions or videos available to see how easy it really is. If the steps above are NOT clear, please let me know.

With 9 or 10 Modules suddenly NOT communicating at all (Red on Tree), 1st thing to check is the JBE which is the "Gateway" for all Bus/Communication Activity in vehicle. Did it get wet? Is/Was there water in passenger footwell?

Diagnosis of an issue like this takes time, patience, getting ALL the "Clues" from ISTA, and properly evaluating those clues. Please just take it a step at a time, and we'll LEARN together.
George
Appreciate 0