E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Higher mileage E91 325D auto 197K buying advice

11-03-2021, 02:15 AM   #1
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Higher mileage E91 325D auto 197K buying advice

Hi,

I’m looking at purchasing a 2008 e91 msport 325D auto with 197K miles tonight. Mainly as I’m looking at getting a “cheaper” estate which will still be a bit fun that I can run into the ground. This has come up close to me.

It has FSH up until 3 years a go when the new owner started servicing it himself every 8-10k, there are receipts to prove the items were at least bought.

I was curious to know the main things I need to look out for seeing as it’s higher mileage? Also if 197K is a lot for the M57 and the ZF 6HP 26 gearbox?

The things I have been made aware if is that there is a slight scraping noise coming from front driver side (offside front) wheel, doesn’t get hot or affect driving but can hear a slight scrape when no music on and window down. The owner thinks it may be a stuck calliper. So if it was a stuck calliper that would mean rebuild the calliper or get a second hand one and fit it. Could it be anything more sinister in that area? I have been told the hub/bearing, pads, discs, sliders and clips have been changed so it won’t be that.

Next thing is the tyres need replacing soon, not much to say there. Finally, DPF light is coming on after 10-15 mins of driving, apparently it doesn’t go into limp mode or affect driving but it does come on. So I was thinking options would be try to manually regen, i guess that probably won’t work especially if it’s the original DPF so then the options are take off and clean, have it professionally cleaned, replace with a new/secondhand one or have it gutted refitted and mapped out.

In the last year it’s had both thermostats replaced, Sachs rear shocks, all glow plugs replaced and glow plug controller and oil service with all filters changed roughly 2/3k ago/ 3/4 months ago.

I have been told the 325D M57 doesn’t have swirl flaps, is this true? Just I had a M57 2006 330D and it did have swirl flaps.

Then the only other things to check for I guess is see if the gearbox has been serviced, see if it’s jerky, get it done if not. Check to see if water pump has been changed, see if original turbo, see for any leaks, excessive smoke out of exhaust. Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:37 AM   #2
allex29
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M47

if it's the M57, you are set, tank of an engine, forget the mileage, it's all about maintenance and luck
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

yeh that dpf will be clogged up for sure. the car will have probs attempted regens but it might be a case of just too far gone.

so either clean it out or just gut it and run it without.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:29 AM   #4
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Thanks guys, picked it up last night.

Slight oil leak (will be fun to find), possible replacement front offside calliper, tyres and sort the DPF out.

Does anyone know if the 325D 2008 has swirl flaps or not? I have been told it doesn’t but am not sure
Appreciate 0