BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Ghoffner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Winter or All Season Tires

In a bit of a predicament here. Live in Texas and recently picked up my m50i. I travel back to Pennsylvania during the holiday season and feel like I should put on a different set of tires. Ideally, I want to avoid a full winter rim/tire set just to make this annual trip up north, but would like to put on some tires that make this a bit safer from a cold weather or snow perspective.

I have the 22” black 742 wheels with the 275/35 fronts and 315/30 rears. Are my only options the scorpion winter tires or the continental contact 6 all season tires? I’ve read a fair amount of reviews that don’t sound too great in regards to the continentals.

Putting on a set of all seasons and running them year round is the perfect solution, then I can get rid of my summer set.

Appreciate any input
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Many winter tires don't do well in your summer heat of Texas, so if you want only one set of tires, probably all-seasons would work best for you. If you ran into a nasty storm in PA, if you had to travel, they may not be enough, though. If you have the option to just stick around, the roadways generally get back to a more reasonable state and they should work just fine.

Hassle is, there aren't all that many options in those sizes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
mustangv6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang, Mazda CX5,BMW X5

forget about getting scorpion winter tires. They are sold out everywhere at least the rear one's
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Many winter tires don't do well in your summer heat of Texas, so if you want only one set of tires, probably all-seasons would work best for you. If you ran into a nasty storm in PA, if you had to travel, they may not be enough, though. If you have the option to just stick around, the roadways generally get back to a more reasonable state and they should work just fine.

Hassle is, there aren't all that many options in those sizes.
Yeah I definitely wouldn’t run winters year round. I would keep my summer tires if I went this route.

If I put in all seasons, I would just run them year round though and sell the summers.

The problem I’m see is the reviews on the continental all seasons. I’m reading a lot of people have experienced hydroplane issues with them. In all reality, I wouldn’t even drive in any snow storms in PA, would just let the car sit. I think the issue is more related to the cold. Can you safely run summer tires in sub 30 degree temps?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoffner View Post
Can you safely run summer tires in sub 30 degree temps?
No...the colder it gets, the harder the rubber, and your traction goes way down for both stopping and cornering, and, you risk cracking a chunk of rubber out of them. Maybe not the first year, but the rubber gets harder from the day they're made naturally and less resilient. Plus, summer tires generally have almost no sipes, which are what really help with traction when things turn funky. ON a dry road, a slick puts the most rubber to the road, but the slightest moisture, big problems ensue!

The depth and shape of the channels affect how well they can evacuate the rain water, and the wider the tire, the harder that is, as it puts less weight/sqin on the surface, plus, it has to go further to the sides to get out from underneath.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
No...the colder it gets, the harder the rubber, and your traction goes way down for both stopping and cornering, and, you risk cracking a chunk of rubber out of them. Maybe not the first year, but the rubber gets harder from the day they're made naturally and less resilient. Plus, summer tires generally have almost no sipes, which are what really help with traction when things turn funky. ON a dry road, a slick puts the most rubber to the road, but the slightest moisture, big problems ensue!

The depth and shape of the channels affect how well they can evacuate the rain water, and the wider the tire, the harder that is, as it puts less weight/sqin on the surface, plus, it has to go further to the sides to get out from underneath.
What about just general cold weather, assuming dry roads? With the lack of options and supply chain, I may have to just watch the weather and drive up/back when things look clear and let the car sit in the garage up north.

Do you recommend or know of any other all season options?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #7
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Quote:
Can you safely run summer tires in sub 30 degree temps?
No, no, no.
Appreciate 1
Killramos312.00
      11-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Check if you can find a set of used 740ms or just buy a set and run them in the winter. They come with Michelin ALPIN 5s if you do buy the package through bmw. If you check Facebook marketplace you might me able to come across a used pair for a good deal. I was going to buy all seasons but just didn't want to remove the brand new contis so I just bought the 740 spare set ( also the 2,000 plus for all seasons plus removing the current tires and then mount and balance will run around 2300 total maybe more )

Last edited by G07xG80; 11-08-2021 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post
Check if you can find a set of used 740ms or just buy a set and run them in the winter. They come with Michelin ALPIN 5s if you do buy the package through bmw. If you check Facebook marketplace you might me able to come across a used pair for a good deal. I was going to buy all seasons but just didn't want to remove the brand new contis so I just bought the 740 spare set ( also the 2,000 plus for all seasons plus removing the current tires and then mount and balance will run around 2300 total maybe more )
What all seasons were you considering?

I like the idea of just getting all seasons and running them year round and then just selling the continentals it came with.

Buying a full winter setup just doesn’t make much sense considering I only make this trip once a year and have the ability to garage the car if needed, when in PA.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Now I know TX is big...but don't you all get a fair amount/frequency of ice storms in the winter - at least one a year? That tells me that you should be driving at least an all season - if not a winter - tire for 3-4 months. Summer tires, with consecutive days of temps under 40 deg, aint the best.

Add your trip to PA into this...I'd get either a solid all-season tire (Michelin) and fingers crossed for the PA trip, or bite the bullet for a winter tire like a Vredestein Wintrac Pro - which actually can take a little bit of 'heat', according to GrussGott who drove them in SoCal for 9 months...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:17 PM   #11
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Now I know TX is big...but don't you all get a fair amount/frequency of ice storms in the winter - at least one a year? That tells me that you should be driving at least an all season - if not a winter - tire for 3-4 months. Summer tires, with consecutive days of temps under 40 deg, aint the best.

Add your trip to PA into this...I'd get either a solid all-season tire (Michelin) and fingers crossed for the PA trip, or bite the bullet for a winter tire like a Vredestein Wintrac Pro - which actually can take a little bit of 'heat', according to GrussGott who drove them in SoCal for 9 months...
Yeah, a fair amount of Texas can actually get pretty cold during the winter but I’m in Houston so it’s usually pretty mild for us but then the summer months are insanely hot.

I haven’t seen a Michelin tire that fits my wheel size. Which ones are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, if you ever did want to drive in snow, narrower, taller tires cut through better than wider ones with short sidewalls.

A little bit of snow or ice with summer tires, and if you're lucky, you won't end up in a ditch, but you may not be moving, either. Forget about stopping or turning.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post

Vredestein Wintrac Pro - which actually can take a little bit of 'heat', according to GrussGott who drove them in SoCal for 9 months...
yeah, I'm tellin ya, those wintracs on an M4 in 80 degrees are hoon magic
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
In a bit of a predicament here. Live in Texas and recently picked up my m50i. I travel back to Pennsylvania during the holiday season and feel like I should put on a different set of tires. Ideally, I want to avoid a full winter rim/tire set just to make this annual trip up north, but would like to put on some tires that make this a bit safer from a cold weather or snow perspective.

I have the 22” black 742 wheels with the 275/35 fronts and 315/30 rears. Are my only options the scorpion winter tires or the continental contact 6 all season tires? I’ve read a fair amount of reviews that don’t sound too great in regards to the continentals.

Putting on a set of all seasons and running them year round is the perfect solution, then I can get rid of my summer set.

Appreciate any input
I have the exact same problem, except I live in DC and travel to the mountains of West Virginia; where we do get a lot of snow.

I'm probably going to remove my OEM, and get some 20" all season with some Vossen rims.
Appreciate 1
CGG171.50
      11-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Quote:
What all seasons were you considering?

I like the idea of just getting all seasons and running them year round and then just selling the continentals it came with.

Buying a full winter setup just doesn’t make much sense considering I only make this trip once a year and have the ability to garage the car if needed, when in PA.
I was considering the Nittos but couldn't find enough of reviews on them. I also debated the Pzeros but the fronts were back ordered. Mine is also a lease so I have to bring it back with the oem tires that it came with ( as far as I know ). See if you can find a used pair of rims on FB
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #16
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, if you ever did want to drive in snow, narrower, taller tires cut through better than wider ones with short sidewalls.

A little bit of snow or ice with summer tires, and if you're lucky, you won't end up in a ditch, but you may not be moving, either. Forget about stopping or turning.
Is there an all season you recommend for my wheel size? I’m considering the continental premium contact 6 CSI…then just running them year round.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #17
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post
I was considering the Nittos but couldn't find enough of reviews on them. I also debated the Pzeros but the fronts were back ordered. Mine is also a lease so I have to bring it back with the oem tires that it came with ( as far as I know ). See if you can find a used pair of rims on FB
What size rim are you running? I wasn’t aware of pzeros that fit the 22’s…

The only all seasons I’ve come across are the nittos and continental. The continentals are available, so I’m leaning towards getting these and running them year round.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
Ghoffner
Rep

Now I’m a bit confused.

I have the continental premium contact 6 tires on my m50i. According to tire rack, they are “grand touring summer” tires, but discount tire has them as “all season”. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

If it were me and I lived somewhere where it says warm or mild all year. I would just keep the summer tires on there and rent a car for my annual trip to the north. Or just fly up....
Appreciate 1
FCX52406.00
      11-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #20
Ghoffner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
If it were me and I lived somewhere where it says warm or mild all year. I would just keep the summer tires on there and rent a car for my annual trip to the north. Or just fly up....
Can’t fly because I take my dog and never really considered just renting something…good idea to consider.

I’m leaning towards getting the Nitto NT420V’s and just running them year round.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #21
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Can’t fly because I take my dog and never really considered just renting something…good idea to consider.

I’m leaning towards getting the Nitto NT420V’s and just running them year round.
Probably not a bad idea. I prefer the performance of a summer tire over an A/S tire. Living here in New England I cant run them all year round so I have a second set of rims 20 inch with dedicated winter tires that I just put on... I already miss my 22's but we will be reunited in May.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #22
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

Appreciate any input
I live in the DC area and I use all season year round now and it's fine. I used to have Summers on my last Cayenne S and they were unusable in the winter here. One year I decided to skip switching to winter tires since it was a mild winter and towards the end we got caught in an unexpected storm and it was the scariest experience ever since the car was skidding all over the place. The Cayenne was fully loaded with all the handling options available. So I would not drive around with Summer tires around here in winter. All seasons like Continental DWS might work well for you.
Appreciate 0