BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 - 530i passenger side front rattle

11-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
CarmeloLabadie
Registered
Rep
Drives: ford ranger

G30 - 530i passenger side front rattle

Hello guys,

I have a 2017 530i @ 28k miles with quite a loud rattling noise coming from the front passenger side suspension area. The rattle only happens when only the left wheel goes over a dent or drain in the road. If both wheels dip, noise doesn't happen. Higher speeds the noise goes away, but maybe because of wind noise masking it, still testing that. Would be good to confirm that as apparently could indicate anti roll bar drop links have worn out.

Partner said it sounds more like a rubbing noise, but personally think its more of a rattle. Noise doesn't happen when breaking or turning, only when going over bumps etc...

Got it booked in at bmw, but thought would be good to get some ideas of what it could be, before they rince me @ £130 an hour...!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Was then car jacked up recently (just before the noise started) either on a normal car jack or post jack?

The jack holder can come lose or the underbody panel pushed in slightly and rattle against the body.

Also were the wheels off recently as the brake disc shield can be pushed in slightly and rattle.

Try putting your hand through the wheel and pushing the brake disc cover away from the disc first (push it toward middle of the car) before giving BMW stealer rates.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Check what I just posted. I am running into something similar but only when hitting the passenger side front wheel first. Could be interpreted as a rattle but in mine sounds more like a clunk/clank. Dealership has replaced strut mounts. I was told it could be the steering rack. Going in Monday to have car re-inspected.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Check this out.

Front end bad surface rattle solved https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1876873
Appreciate 0