BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Auto Transport Question

12-15-2021, 12:09 AM   #1
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Auto Transport Question

Hey peeps. I wanted to know if anyone here, in the US, has shipped a car across the country? What did it cost and what company would you suggest...I may need to use some services in the coming month or so. Just curious of your experience.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

I used Acme car shipping for the Porsche when I moved from OH to SC. Was an independent driver with an enclosed trailer and only had one other car. Cost was around $980. Guy was pretty thorough with the pre-check list and confirmed everything with me before taking off. No issues with transit and the dispatch people were always helpful.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I shipped my 3/4 ton truck (heavy, long) twice, in 2004 (ND to TX) and 2012 (TX to VA) and both times it was about $1,200. Most companies you find online are just schedulers, and the truckers are independent. The schedulers want to fill the truck, so you might have to wait for shipment until they get enough orders in your area.
- I picked a shipper online, requested a timeframe for pickup, and paid a % fee up front (10%, IIRC).
- in about a day I got contact info for the driver who would pick it up, and I got more detailed scheduling information. I was also told to have the rest of the payment ready in cash when it was delivered.
- driver called me a day before delivery and asked for specific place I wanted to meet for delivery. The haulers are often not huge (e.g., F450 with a two level car hauler), but you need a space long enough for truck, trailer, ramps and your car.
- My truck was delivered and I paid in cash. Made me uncomfortable, but he explained that the money was used directly to buy gas for his truck, so that’s why they did not want checks. That delivery payment was his cut of the total fee.

I’m sure you pay quite a bit more for a closed car hauler, since it fits fewer vehicles. IIRC, the car haulers I used could handle about 4 vehicles on the trailer.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 06:52 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Do a site search - there have been at least 2 long postings that cover this topic well. TLDR is use a covered carrier that operates its own fleet (not contractors or indie truckers), or bite the bullet and drive it yourself. Any money you save on a cheaper option is likely to be repaid many times in paint correction or body work. The company with the big orange trucks is best, but I DK thier name (Reliable?).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

***Be very careful***
Most online searches end up sticking you with a broker situation. Your route gets put up on the line for a bid between carriers and you have no clue who you are dealing with.
Working for car dealers all my life I have found the best method is ask the used car manager at a dealership you trust. These guys ship vehicles all over the country and only use ones that are reasonable and respect peoples properties. I imagine prices are WAY up right now but I havent shipped a vehicle in years. Flexibility with time frames saved me a lot of money. When my wife (then GF) moved from WI to NJ I already had an extra car and did not need her vehicle in any hurry. The drivers pack a truck full of multiple stops all over the country and if you don't need it there by a specific date it may get you a much better price.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Used all america auto transport, from DC to LA in late 2019, cost 1k. Was satisfied
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:57 AM   #7
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
I used Acme car shipping for the Porsche when I moved from OH to SC. Was an independent driver with an enclosed trailer and only had one other car. Cost was around $980. Guy was pretty thorough with the pre-check list and confirmed everything with me before taking off. No issues with transit and the dispatch people were always helpful.
I'll look them up...thanks. I have heard of them before. I'll be going from Cali to Florida so it will be a little more than $980 but thats cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Do a site search - there have been at least 2 long postings that cover this topic well. TLDR is use a covered carrier that operates its own fleet (not contractors or indie truckers), or bite the bullet and drive it yourself. Any money you save on a cheaper option is likely to be repaid many times in paint correction or body work. The company with the big orange trucks is best, but I DK thier name (Reliable?).
I am more than likely gonna use a covered carrier. Driving is out of the question because we'll have to drive my wifes car across...can't drive em both. Big orange trucks...Roadway or Roadrunner? I'll have to look those up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
***Be very careful***
Most online searches end up sticking you with a broker situation. Your route gets put up on the line for a bid between carriers and you have no clue who you are dealing with.
Working for car dealers all my life I have found the best method is ask the used car manager at a dealership you trust. These guys ship vehicles all over the country and only use ones that are reasonable and respect peoples properties. I imagine prices are WAY up right now but I havent shipped a vehicle in years. Flexibility with time frames saved me a lot of money. When my wife (then GF) moved from WI to NJ I already had an extra car and did not need her vehicle in any hurry. The drivers pack a truck full of multiple stops all over the country and if you don't need it there by a specific date it may get you a much better price.
I never thought about the timeline...but that is a good tip. I don't want the broker situation, I definitely want a real company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Used all america auto transport, from DC to LA in late 2019, cost 1k. Was satisfied
That is a good price...I'll also check them out

Thank you guys for the responses, this is a new situation for me and I wanted to get some experiences from others who have gone through it. I appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Buddy of mine ships his vehicles all over pretty frequently with great experiences. Just bought a truck and shipping from California to Florida as I type. Florida to Idaho and back, lots of cross country deliveries.

TQL Logistics. Worth a check.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Ive used Montway Auto Transport, From IL to AZ in 2017 and then back in 2020. They are a broker but had good experiences each time. Cost ranged from 650-850.

I looked into Uship once which is basically and Ebay for freight/vehicle transportation. You post what you are shipping and to where with a deadline and people bid on the job. Personally I did not have a good experience when I did use it, but I was shipping a decent sized toolbox. But the bad experience was with the shipper not the company themselves. Uship took care of me and the situation very professionally.
      12-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You can also message zeeman335 on here, he helps arrange vehicle shipping for people

https://www.m3post.com/forums/member.php?u=49103
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #11
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the help people! I greatly appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

I've shipped my car to and from ca/tx a few times now with auto box express. Always enclosed. Always on time. Very reasonable.

mike@autoboxexpress.com

They have their own trucks and also use third party. I've used their third party options given time constraints and I've been entirely satisfied.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #13
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I have used Intercity before but was pricey and I wanted enclosed top load and car was non-op and I had an in so they were great.
Appreciate 1