BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
Ldstern
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 m40i

I have a new 2022 m40i with 500 miles and decided to replace Alenza run flats with Continental EC+ tires. I have 20 inch wheels. Ride seems quieter but steering feels lighter and ride seems somewhat more bouncy. Set tire pressures at 33 front and 36 rear.

Interestingly, car tracks straight but steering wheel now slightly off center. Does the latter indicate I need a 4 wheel alignment?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:41 AM   #2
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
On a previous car after having the tires changed my steering wheel was off centre. Took it back twice and they did alignment and said it was ok. Took it to another place that also said the alignment was fine but the steering wheel position had definitely changed.
It bugged me but I ended up just having to live with it.
      01-12-2022, 05:38 AM   #3
Ldstern
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun170 View Post
On a previous car after having the tires changed my steering wheel was off centre. Took it back twice and they did alignment and said it was ok. Took it to another place that also said the alignment was fine but the steering wheel position had definitely changed.
It bugged me but I ended up just having to live with it.
Thanks Shaun. I will probably have an alignment done by my BMW dealership if I keep the new tires. Not totally happy with the new Continental tires. The Alenzas were not as smooth but driving & steering feel were better.

Thinking of switching to Michelin PS 4s tires. Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #4
TJay74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 Audi S4, 19 Corvette Z06

As a owner of Continental tires and Michelin tires, the Continental tires have a much softer sidewall compared to the Michelin tires. I always used the Continental DWS06 All Season tires and they drove and rode amazing. When i went to replace the Summer Only tires on our 19 Audi S4 I went with the Continental DWS06+ tires, I hated them. The float on them was horrible.

I swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, world of difference. Granted they are not as responsive as a true UHP Summer Only tire, they are about 85% of what the Summer Only tire offers.
Appreciate 1
Ldstern27.50
      01-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
Ldstern
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
As a owner of Continental tires and Michelin tires, the Continental tires have a much softer sidewall compared to the Michelin tires. I always used the Continental DWS06 All Season tires and they drove and rode amazing. When i went to replace the Summer Only tires on our 19 Audi S4 I went with the Continental DWS06+ tires, I hated them. The float on them was horrible.

I swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, world of difference. Granted they are not as responsive as a true UHP Summer Only tire, they are about 85% of what the Summer Only tire offers.
Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldstern View Post
I have a new 2022 m40i with 500 miles and decided to replace Alenza run flats with Continental EC+ tires. I have 20 inch wheels. Ride seems quieter but steering feels lighter and ride seems somewhat more bouncy. Set tire pressures at 33 front and 36 rear.

Interestingly, car tracks straight but steering wheel now slightly off center. Does the latter indicate I need a 4 wheel alignment?
Was the steering definitely on center before the tire change?

If so, can you swap wheels side to side, to see if the 'rolling' tires are causing the issue? Would be my first call, if the tires are not directional.
Appreciate 1
Ldstern27.50
      01-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
Ldstern
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldstern View Post

Was the steering definitely on center before the tire change?

If so, can you swap wheels side to side, to see if the 'rolling' tires are causing the issue? Would be my first call, if the tires are not directional.
I'm pretty sure the wheel was centered. I'm very attuned to this since I had a previous car with similar non-centered wheel that drove me crazy. The car is now 3 weeks old. Thanks for your suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:26 PM   #8
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

When a wheel alignment is performed the steering wheel should be centered by the mechanic. If the steering wheel is off-center when the alignment is completed, then the car's wheels will be true but the steering wheel will remain off-center and the car will move straight. So wheel alignment is correct BUT steering wheel is off-center. This is a failed wheel alignment.

If the wheel is off-center after mounting the new tires, and wheel centering was correct before the new tires, then the wheel alignment has to be wrong.

The fix is to repeat the wheel alignment with the steering wheel CENTERED. That's the only appropriate solution.
Appreciate 1
Ldstern27.50