Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Drivetrain Malfunction Came Back After Repair

02-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Drivetrain Malfunction Came Back After Repair

I have a 2020 M340i with less than 10,000 miles and it's stock except for my winter tire set up. It has been problem-free for the first year and a half of ownership although I admit I don't drive it much. On the way home during a road trip during the holidays, I got a drivetrain malfunction that said the car could be driven with reduced performance. I took it to the dealership as soon as possible and they replaced the turbo waste gate. Car seemed fine afterwards but again, I don't drive it very much. After leaving it in my garage for nearly a week on a battery maintainer, the drivetrain malfunction returned yesterday when I started the car and hasn't gone away. It felt somewhat sluggish while driving. I buy gas from the same Shell location and only use 93 Octane. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the BimmerLink app but haven't been able to it connect to my G20.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Do you put the car in diagnostic mode before trying to connect BimmerLink?
(3 fast press on the START button and "Diagnostic Mode" shall shortly be displayed in the instrument cluster. If I'm too fast to tap Connect it needs a second tap.)
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
Do you put the car in diagnostic mode before trying to connect BimmerLink?
(3 fast press on the START button and "Diagnostic Mode" shall shortly be displayed in the instrument cluster. If I'm too fast to tap Connect it needs a second tap.)
Yes, I put it in diagnostic mode but I still wasn't able to connect. The developer suggested updating the iOS on my phone so I'll try that. BimmerLink worked well when I had an F30 so I'm hopeful I can get it figured out.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
DarrylW
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4(deceased)2018 M5

I had a similar warning on my F90 M5. Ended up being leaking charger coolers causing the intake temp sensor to malfunction. Pricey repair, luckily under warranty. HTH
Appreciate 0