BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board New or old

03-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

New or old

Early last year when the rumors first started about Mazda making an NA inline 6, RWD, manual transmission with around 350 horses, I was all in even though I wasnÂ’t thrilled about the mild-hybrid part. I eventually came around to seeing it as a plus, a KERS to add extra power but hopefully wonÂ’t be too costly to maintain/replace when the time comes. Unfortunately, all of the reports lately are saying itÂ’ll only have an 8 speed auto which has me looking elsewhere now.

It would have been my “I’m keeping it until it blows up” car as I’m old school and prefer a sweet sounding smooth NA engine over FI and don’t want all of the tech on the new cars outside of a reverse camera, anything else is things I have no use for and is just something to break.

IÂ’m now contemplating if IÂ’m better of getting something from the late 2000s or early 2010s and just use the savings on a complete suspension refresh, engine tune up, updating the audio system, installing a reverse camera, etc. Anyone else feel the same as me that very little is out nowadays that theyÂ’re excited about? The list of manual cars is getting shorter every year and especially the days of the NA engine is almost gone, the ones that are left is either out of my price range(GT3) or are piddly economy engines(Civic/Corolla).

Also important to note IÂ’ve no interest in American cars, probably everyone here knows why we are driving BMWs instead of Mustangs and Camaros.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

That’s where I am, too. I’m old enough to remember a lot of cars when they were new, so old tech doesn’t scare me as much as new unreliability and complexity. Shiny new objects are always attractive, but something I can do most work on myself is more enjoyable. Also no trackers or other nonsense if you’re worried about such things.

I sold my S60 2021 and bought, for a lot less, a 2006 750Li. I have no qualms about tearing into it to make changes or updates. A Garmin is good for now for the nav, back up cam, and Bluetooth, better options can be researched and perhaps will follow. But keeping it low-tech is fine, too. I wonder if I can find a paper map anywhere?

Now the 2006 isn’t exactly uncomplicated, so I may go older - back to the 80s or even 70s. The 7 is for very long drives and is perfect for that, but I might prefer a 2002 for local drives, or even a still-older 2000cs!
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1709.50
cmyx6go15762.50
      03-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

The Vision Coupe? Is this the car you mean? Cuz I LOVE the look of this thing

Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      03-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post

It seems to be based off of this concept. I’m sure whenever the final look is it’ll be at least decent looking.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
It seems to be based off of this concept. I’m sure whenever the final look is it’ll be at least decent looking.
I hope so cuz this looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #6
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

Front view reminds me of my 2004 Mazda RX-8. I owned that car for 10 years and had a lot of fun with it (238 HP Wankel and 6-speed manual). Kind of sad the rotary/Wankel is gone, but to be honest, the gas mileage sucked, plus it was prone to flooding (once for me). On the plus side, the silky smooth revs to 9000 RPM were something to behold. Traded it in on my 2014 M235i. My BMW dealer was practically drooling on my RX-8 since it was low mileage and in mint condition.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
Esteban43788.50
      03-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Front view reminds me of my 2004 Mazda RX-8. I owned that car for 10 years and had a lot of fun with it (238 HP Wankel and 6-speed manual). Kind of sad the rotary/Wankel is gone, but to be honest, the gas mileage sucked, plus it was prone to flooding (once for me). On the plus side, the silky smooth revs to 9000 RPM were something to behold. Traded it in on my 2014 M235i. My BMW dealer was practically drooling on my RX-8 since it was low mileage and in mint condition.
The RX-8 was a great car. It had it's problems but great nonetheless. That's a car that you can honestly say "they don't make 'em like that anymore."

You were lucky to have owned one.
Appreciate 1
3.0L8937.00
      03-06-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
The RX-8 was a great car. It had it's problems but great nonetheless. That's a car that you can honestly say "they don't make 'em like that anymore."

I agree; I had a lot of fun with that car.

I also owned a red 1985 RX-7 5-speed manual. It had the base ~1200cc wankel with a cute little 4-barrel carburetor and manual choke. I really cried when I had to sell that car.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

What the hell is up with those so-called side view mirrors? Are you supposed to be able to actually see something in those? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
What the hell is up with those so-called side view mirrors? Are you supposed to be able to actually see something in those? Lol.
Concept car. Those mirrors would definitely change if/when it goes in to production.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 09:06 PM   #11
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Just seems they can at least make them more like actual mirrors though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 10:57 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Just seems they can at least make them more like actual mirrors though.
Agree. Like something you can really see through. Not those little stems.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 10:59 PM   #13
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Probably cameras that project the video on the inside?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hmm, guess it's possible, on the concept car. Why not?

Doesn't really make sense for the production car, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 11:19 PM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Found this article about side mirrors:

Why Car Designers Are Waging War against Side Mirrors

Quote:
...designers hate side mirrors. Hate. Them. Silly, flappy Dumbo ears. This is why when designers have a go at creating a concept car (there are still some of those out there), they keep the side mirrors so small as to be unusable in the real world. They look like little pyrite crystals fastened to the concept's body by chrome-plated toenail clippings.
The article is from June, 2019. Mazda unveiled the Vision Coupe at the Tokyo Motor Show in October, 2017.

Last edited by Esteban; 03-06-2022 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 12:20 AM   #16
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I used to sell them when they were introduced and I honestly was not impressed with them. A little sluggish and uninspiring, though I did enjoy the high revs...that part I did like. I think after hearing all the hype of the RX7 which I never got to drive, I think I was just expecting more from the RX8. BUT to each their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
This is what I was going to say...more than likely what they did

Quote:
Hmm, guess it's possible, on the concept car. Why not?

Doesn't really make sense for the production car, though.
Actually...

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:51 AM   #17
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used to sell them when they were introduced and I honestly was not impressed with them. A little sluggish and uninspiring, though I did enjoy the high revs...that part I did like. I think after hearing all the hype of the RX7 which I never got to drive, I think I was just expecting more from the RX8. BUT to each their own

This is what I was going to say...more than likely what they did

Actually...

Cool car, but we don't get it.

Why the Honda e Should (but Won't) Come to the U.S.

Quote:
For Europeans, this friendly EV is a reality. For the U.S., not so much. "The Honda e will not be coming to the United States" is what Honda has said again and again. The company has made that very clear both in its launch messaging and in reply to numerous emails, phone calls, and in-person grillings.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:04 AM   #18
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
Early last year when the rumors first started about Mazda making an NA inline 6, RWD, manual transmission with around 350 horses, I was all in even though I wasnÂ’t thrilled about the mild-hybrid part. I eventually came around to seeing it as a plus, a KERS to add extra power but hopefully wonÂ’t be too costly to maintain/replace when the time comes. Unfortunately, all of the reports lately are saying itÂ’ll only have an 8 speed auto which has me looking elsewhere now.

It would have been my “I’m keeping it until it blows up” car as I’m old school and prefer a sweet sounding smooth NA engine over FI and don’t want all of the tech on the new cars outside of a reverse camera, anything else is things I have no use for and is just something to break.

IÂ’m now contemplating if IÂ’m better of getting something from the late 2000s or early 2010s and just use the savings on a complete suspension refresh, engine tune up, updating the audio system, installing a reverse camera, etc. Anyone else feel the same as me that very little is out nowadays that theyÂ’re excited about? The list of manual cars is getting shorter every year and especially the days of the NA engine is almost gone, the ones that are left is either out of my price range(GT3) or are piddly economy engines(Civic/Corolla).

Also important to note IÂ’ve no interest in American cars, probably everyone here knows why we are driving BMWs instead of Mustangs and Camaros.
Mazda's were good value then, I had an 05 Six 1.8 mt it went well but a clutch spring went bang and the pedal started getting heavier gradually, I sold it before it got worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #19
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Big issue for me with modern cars is the RELENTLESS yelling at you. I don't mind the back up beeps but everything else can just fuck right off. Door open.....fucking beeeeep, seatbelts....fucking beeeeeep.... clip a lane line...beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, try to merge and fucking beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep .... FUCK OFF. Just let me drive ffs, there's this constant source of annoyance, i can't fucking concentrate.

Don't start me on auto brake or lane keeping, like fucking really? Will run my 2008 Saab into the fucking ground before i go new.
Appreciate 3
E92inNC1709.50
cmyx6go15762.50
lakefront560.50
      03-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #20
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Big issue for me with modern cars is the RELENTLESS yelling at you. I don't mind the back up beeps but everything else can just fuck right off. Door open.....fucking beeeeep, seatbelts....fucking beeeeeep.... clip a lane line...beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, try to merge and fucking beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep .... FUCK OFF. Just let me drive ffs, there's this constant source of annoyance, i can't fucking concentrate.

Don't start me on auto brake or lane keeping, like fucking really? Will run my 2008 Saab into the fucking ground before i go new.
Alfisti I'll bet you have high blood pressure. Just a hunch. Also, sounds like you need a different fucking car. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #21
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Lol agree, to make it worse some of this stuff either can’t be turned off or you have to turn it off every time you start the car. To me, those of us that pay attention to the road are being charged for “safety” features meant for morons that are inattentive while driving. I can only hope there’s shops out there that can disable this stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #22
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That wasn't the comment LOL, you just said it doesn't make sense for the production car! This car proves it does make sense (for at least one manufacturer) so it could make it to that car too.

But yes...sadly we don't get it & yes, it is kind of a cool little car!

Last edited by evil-G-nius; 03-08-2022 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0