Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

My One Year X7 Ownership Review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

Hard to think it's been a year since I did my factory PCD delivery, and this time last year, I was doing my epic cross-continent drive all the way back to Alaska. See the PCD and road trip thread here with a bajillion pictures across the journey:
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1803710

The car is a 2021 X7 M50i, fully loaded. Luckily, I got in at the beginning of 2021, before the big supply and production constraints, where features and options were slashed. The only options that weren't available for me to order were Ambient Air, Night Vision, and Full Merino Leather in my selected black color.

At this one year mark, I'm at 13,400 miles, about 2/3 of which are on my various road trips last year. (see my signature below for the others, and one more trip journal is still pending). Definitely much higher than a typical year mileage for me.

Big picture, the car is awesome, and I couldn't be much happier. It's running great, in great shape, only minor issues so far, and is far and away the best all-around car I've ever owned or driven. Here's all issues I've had so far:
  1. Sunroof spontaneously cracked while cruising on I-40 (see page 8 of my road trip)
  2. Scumbag keyed my car door in Yosemite (nothing to do with BMW, see page 16 of my road trip)
  3. Retention clip on small plastic cap to rear cargo cover port broke, had to be replaced
  4. Suspension adjustment warning illuminated after hitting hidden pothole on my Arctic Circle trip. Code cleared by dealer, no issues
  5. Driver's seat creaked a little after 2 months as I would shift my weight, dealer made a bracket adjustment, went away
  6. For whatever reason, I still can't get my garage door openers to code to the X7 buttons.
  7. I've been having issues with telling the car to play a particular song or artists from my hard drive, and it says it's still setting up voice control for the music search

Here's the biggest change that has happened over the last year. This first picture was taken on March 8th, 2021, in Oklahoma City on my road trip. The 2nd picture is March 10th, 2022, in Alhambra, California. Very real issue, particularly for diesel and premium unleaded users. (believe me, I still see context with gas prices in other areas of the world)

There's no way I can list out all my thoughts on the X7, but here's a summary of many of the ones that come to mind:
  • Ceramic Coating, and especially PPF, have been definitely worth it. I have a couple small rock chips on the windshield, and two tiny pits on the hood where a rock penetrated the PPF. You have to look hard for any of them. Other than that, the car is still PERFECT. (the scumbag key scratch was repainted). No door dings yet. If I had it to do again, I'd only do PPF on even more of the car
  • Semi-related, one of the cheapest mods I wasn't sure about, the mud flaps, have proven to be one of the most practical, really fighting road splash kick-up, particularly in slush and standing water
  • Coding is definitely worth it for the X7. Above all, for rural drivers, anti-dazzle headlights is a very useful safety feature. AS/S control also worth it, among other features
  • Adjustable suspension height has proven to be VERY useful for me, and one reason I bought the X7. Very useful, as a disabled person, to aid with getting in and out of the vehicle, and load cargo in the trunk. Take it to an expert level, and at a drive-through, adjust the vehicle height for a very high or low drive up window. I can also raise the vehicle to go over the stupid huge piles of snow the county snowplow leaves across my driveway, without bottoming out.
  • On a related note, BMW, please still note that our #1 feature request for the X7 is the selectable ability for the vehicle to automatically adjust to a chosen height (i.e. entry height) every time the ignition is switched off.
  • The various seating control buttons througout the car are still NOT intuitive, and 2nd row seating movement operation takes too long. This should be redesigned for the LCI.
  • Similarly, Captain's Chairs really should fold down. Thankfully I personally don't really have too much issue with this one or the last one, as I never have people in the 3rd row, and rarely carry anything in the trunk that would go past the captain's chairs.
  • Wish I could do the PCD again. What a great experience
  • I'm so glad I got a winter wheel and tire set. Makes the vehicle even better for true winter driving, in addition to high summer performance. Wheels are just SO bulky and heavy to swap out.
  • B&W Audio system is fantastic with proper high-res audio files streamed from a hard drive
  • Still love the Heads Up Display and everything it can do
  • I regularly use the various automation assistance features, and "Auto Hold". With less traffic jams here in Alaska than elsewhere, I don't get as much use from the Enhanced Traffic Jam Assistant, but it's still awesome to use.
  • I regularly use and enjoy the heated/cooled cupholders to keep my drink cold for longer. A little tough to clean if you get a drip. (much less the massive airbag problem others have encountered with bigger spills)
  • Massage seats are so awesome for longer drives and when I need to stretch out the butt/back a bit
  • All-weather mats are very practical, and whenever I wash the car, just take them out and hose them off, keeping the actual interior pristine
  • I've had several OTA software updates, but no map updates, and my map data is still on 2020-2
  • I replaced the key batteries, which helped, but I still occasionally get the annoying thing where as I grab the exterior door handle to open it, my fingers will brush the ribbed area and the door will lock, ripping the handle out of my hand. The car then won't respond to unlock for several seconds as I stand there like an idiot.
  • Although auto-park, auto-reverse, and Hill Descent Control are cool, I haven't used these features at all. I'm good enough myself at the parking and reverse parts.
  • I wish there was a natural little holder tray or something on the center console. I end up setting my little stuff down, like eye/sunglasses or receipts, into the cupholders where the small space is already at a premium with drinks, charging tray, 12V power outlet, etc
  • Adaptive driving mode, DHP, predictive driving, and 4 wheel steering are cool and useful.
  • I wish the windshield wipers were a little beefier. Particularly when it's snowing, and freezing ice, the wipers are just a little thin/weak. This becomes an issue in Alaska snowstorms, especially when temps are right at freezing. snowflakes will melt on the warmer windshield, run down, and freeze on the exterior wiper blades. The blades become sticks of ice that in some circumstances can become unusable. Heated wipers would be PERFECT.
Bottom line, BMW hit a home-run with the X7, and mine is proving to hold up well over one year of ownership, and several long distance and exotic road trips. (including the Arctic Circle!) If the X5 is "The Boss", the X7 without question is still "The Godfather". I still plan on keeping mine long-term, and it will be the last car I ever drive.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!

Last edited by Wild Blue; 03-15-2022 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 26
Jszlaga461.00
MystroX56289.50
Mail4loys415.50
dmanb2b2123.00
mjn771072.50
djbonsu113.00
pserra1.50
ppnff89.00
FiatLux11.50
Jason40765.00
B530e283.50
chicagofan0019134.00
P111567.50
2srsman68.00
Refujeet263.50
Brigitte484.50
      03-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Great write-up... just wanted to drop a quick note regarding the maps. You should have got an update by now, we are already on 2022-1 level. Might be worthwhile going into the update settings within navigation, or even log into the connecteddrive/mygarage or get with a BMW-genius.
      03-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Glad you're enjoying your ride. Hoping to see many more years of ownership reviews
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

can't agree more. I kick around the idea of an xb7 at some point, but with the introduction of the pancake motor and intimations at a hybrid performance x7 on the horizon, I'm looking forward to my next one. Thankfully I've been working from home since pre-covid, so gas prices haven't been a big deal for me.
      03-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

^ ditto! The X7 is hands down the best all-around vehicle I have owned. Very comfortable to drive around town, on the highway, and in the mountains. It doesn't feel oversized with just me driving but can haul a family of five packed to the rim. Having the M50i is just icing on the cake when you hit it!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #6
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Hard the believe a year has clicked by...still one the best new owner journeys documented on bimmerpost
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3683.50
2srsman68.00
      03-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

A great write up! Enforces my decision to switch to the X7 from a Q7 which I had been driving for the past 2 years. As a family hauler, the Q7s has been AMAZING! But, the back passengers are constantly complaining about feeling motion sickness due to the swaying of the vehicle.
This year, I am planning to switch to the X7. 40i would have been more than enough, but I need DHP which is currently only available on the m50i variant.

Thanks, again, for the write up. I have followed all your x7 threads and they have been a pleasant read.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3683.50
dmanb2b2123.00
      03-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #8
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamkhan View Post
A great write up! Enforces my decision to switch to the X7 from a Q7 which I had been driving for the past 2 years. As a family hauler, the Q7s has been AMAZING! But, the back passengers are constantly complaining about feeling motion sickness due to the swaying of the vehicle.
This year, I am planning to switch to the X7. 40i would have been more than enough, but I need DHP which is currently only available on the m50i variant.

Thanks, again, for the write up. I have followed all your x7 threads and they have been a pleasant read.
I too am driving a Q7 as a family car which I've owned for 3.5 years. Does your Q7 have the adaptive chassis package? Mine does and it definitely helps the car drive more stable. My older son still gets car sick sometimes though, but I think that has more to do with him watching outside from the rear passenger window, rather than the car not being stable.

The reason I placed an order for a X7 is simply because I miss BMW, especially after I sold my M3 in January. I like the bigger third row seats which we use from time to time. There are also some things I don't like about the Q7, including the MMI, HUD not displaying anything other than speed, slow menu scrolling, etc.

Im really looking forward to my M50i delivery next month.
      03-15-2022, 02:42 PM   #9
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
I too am driving a Q7 as a family car which I've owned for 3.5 years. Does your Q7 have the adaptive chassis package? Mine does and it definitely helps the car drive more stable. My older son still gets car sick sometimes though, but I think that has more to do with him watching outside from the rear passenger window, rather than the car not being stable.

The reason I placed an order for a X7 is simply because I miss BMW, especially after I sold my M3 in January. I like the bigger third row seats which we use from time to time. There are also some things I don't like about the Q7, including the MMI, HUD not displaying anything other than speed, slow menu scrolling, etc.

I don't have the adaptive chasis. I've tried every different driving mode from comfort, auto, dynamic, etc and the swaying is still present. Maybe because mine is just a 2.0 with premium plus

I also miss the BMW feel, to the honest. I transitioned from an M3 into a Q7 which is my first large SUV. After test driving the X7, I feel like I can keep that vehicle for several years as opposed to just 2 or 3 which is how frequently I've been changing cars over the past 8 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamkhan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post

I don't have the adaptive chasis. I've tried every different driving mode from comfort, auto, dynamic, etc and the swaying is still present. Maybe because mine is just a 2.0 with premium plus

I also miss the BMW feel, to the honest. I transitioned from an M3 into a Q7 which is my first large SUV. After test driving the X7, I feel like I can keep that vehicle for several years as opposed to just 2 or 3 which is how frequently I've been changing cars over the past 8 years.
Without adaptive chassis, all you have is steel springs and changing the mode won't do anything. I see that we both owned F80, so be careful not to draw a comparison between that car and Q7/X7. There's just no way a 5600lbs SUV (DHP or not) would drive anywhere close to a 3500lb sports sedan purposely designed for track driving.

I have never test driven a X7 but have owned a X5 50i before, so I have enough confidence that I'll like the X7. The Q7 has been with my family for almost four years now and it's time for it to retire with glory.
      05-13-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
HwyKnight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i...Maybe...

Where did you get the mud flaps??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 11:39 PM   #12
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
For whatever reason, I still can't get my garage door openers to code to the X7 buttons.
Press and hold two outer buttons for about 20 seconds to clear what you've attempted to program previously. It will blink rapidly to confirm all buttons are cleared.

To program: press and hold the button you want to program then press and hold the clicker for your garage until the green light on your mirror blink rapidly. Release both buttons and it should be programmed.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 07:01 AM   #13
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyKnight View Post
Where did you get the mud flaps??
Nothing special, just a semi-cheap China product on Amazon. The fit isn't bad, but isn't perfect. Product quality is good, but not quite up to OEM standards. But man, are they functional, and I'm so glad I put them on.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Press and hold two outer buttons for about 20 seconds to clear what you've attempted to program previously. It will blink rapidly to confirm all buttons are cleared.

To program: press and hold the button you want to program then press and hold the clicker for your garage until the green light on your mirror blink rapidly. Release both buttons and it should be programmed.
Thanks, yeah, I can clear it. But I'm not getting the full flashing green light of full program. I think it has to do with my garage door opener using rolling codes. I'm following what it says to do in the BMW manual for it, but not working. I think I need to try the thing where one person is pressing the button on the garage door motor while the other person is programming in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #14
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks, yeah, I can clear it. But I'm not getting the full flashing green light of full program. I think it has to do with my garage door opener using rolling codes. I'm following what it says to do in the BMW manual for it, but not working. I think I need to try the thing where one person is pressing the button on the garage door motor while the other person is programming in the car.
The other way is to press the program button on the garage opener once and then you typically have about 30 seconds to get into your car and press the button you want it to learn 3 times
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #15
HolaHola
Rep
Drives: x7 m50i

long time listener, first time caller. I created an account just to reply to this homelink stuff since I've been trying to do the same thing and finally figured it out.

what worked for me:

First, bring your clicker to the homelink, hold both until the rearview is flashing green.

Second, go to the opener and hit the learn button, and within the allotted time frame go back to the homelink, and click the same homelink button you started to program in step one.

I needed to do both steps, in order, and worked like a charm. I've seen so many YouTube videos where they identify step 1, or step 2, and finally found one that said you had to do both in said sequence.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #16
danbone7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

What options do you have that are no longer available on the x7 s?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #17
StifflersMom
Stifflers Mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

One year with my X7 40 drive. No problems. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:47 AM   #18
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbone7 View Post
What options do you have that are no longer available on the x7 s?
Options have come and gone with continual changes over the last year and a half. I couldn't even tell you what the current production status is of any of these, and which have returned. Off the top of my head, though, I'm aware of:
  • Crystal deletion from volume knob
  • B&W audio (and even HK audio)
  • 3rd row black plastic trim that does not match 1st and 2nd row
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Audio
  • Wireless phone charger
  • Heated and cooled cupholders
  • Privacy Glass (this may have been X5)
  • Dynamic Handling Package
  • Executive Package
  • Luxury Seating Package
  • Dashboard touchscreen
  • Elements of the automated driving systems

Last edited by Wild Blue; 05-16-2022 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      05-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Options have come and gone with continual changes over the last year and a half. I couldn't even tell you what the current production status is of any of these, and which have returned. Off the top of my head, though, I'm aware of:
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Audio
  • Wireless phone charger
  • Executive Package
  • Luxury Seating Package
  • Dashboard touchscreen
You can add the deletion of the 20GB internal hard drive as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #20
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
  • Apple Car Play
  • Android Audio
  • Wireless phone charger
  • Executive Package
  • Luxury Seating Package
  • Dashboard touchscreen
The other day, I just discovered that mine was missing the Gesture Control functionality. Not that I really needed it.

However, that was the main reason we picked up a 1 year old vehicle, rather than ordering new. I'd rather know what I was getting, rather than ordering something and hoping everything turned out OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #21
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Setting check for Gesture Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
The other day, I just discovered that mine was missing the Gesture Control functionality. Not that I really needed it.

However, that was the main reason we picked up a 1 year old vehicle, rather than ordering new. I'd rather know what I was getting, rather than ordering something and hoping everything turned out OK.
I'm assuming you checked to ensure GESTURE control is active in the iDrive settings, I have a couple of settings that the car keeps turning off (like the ASSISTED DRIVING VIEW)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #22
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
You can add the deletion of the 20GB internal hard drive as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post

Good point from both of you. Geez, writing all this out I'm realizing this is more of a substantial list than thought. Think I'm going to start a new thread specifically on this subject.
Appreciate 0