BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Florida people or anyone with Florida knowledge

03-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Florida people or anyone with Florida knowledge

Looking to do a long weekend and thinking:
West Palm Beach
Hollywood Beach
(Open to other areas-but not South Beach, St Augustine or the Keys)

Anyone have any input on things to do, resorts to look into, hot spot areas etc etc
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #2
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I'm going to where you don't want to go shortly (south beach) but for more chill vibes I much prefer the gulf coast. Its much calmer in virtually every way, including the ocean.

East of Walton, Santa Rosa to Rosemary. That is where we often go for a quick, quiet weekend. But its not Wicked Weasel friendly...

Water aint bad either:
Appreciate 1
ASAP10162.50
      03-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
You may have already been there already but Clearwater Beach is nice and closer, also Anna Maria Island is also a good beach.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Depends on what you are looking to do, WPB is more of a local chill vibe, City Place (now called the square), the water front along Flagler, Clematis St. are good places to check out.

Downtown Delray is a good vibe for dinner, definitely check out the area one night you are in town. Boca Town Center for some shopping and Mizner Park for food/walking around, and the Beach area in Boca are also nice spots to check out.

The Las Olas strip and Las Olas beach is also a nice area to check out if you are in Fort Lauderdale.

I always recommend the Keys if anyone hasn't been there, I enjoy the drive, stopping along the way and checking things out, grabbing food and heading back for a leisurely day out.

Last edited by tdott; 03-21-2022 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Delray beach - while small is a spot you cannot miss imho.

FTL - Las Olas are good too.
Miami itself is a totally different vibe.
      03-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I would also recommend Delray if you are set on the east coast. That’s our usual hangout spot as we are only a few miles away. From there it’s a short drive down A1A to Boca or Deerfield. Deerfield has a couple of decent ocean front restaurants/bars also. I’m not sure that there’s that much going on in WPB on the water, but haven’t been in a long time. If you do end up in WPB and go to City Place check out Bellagio, my favorite Italian restaurant ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #7
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
West Palm Beach
Hollywood Beach

Anyone have any input on things to do, resorts to look into, hot spot areas etc etc
West Palm is swanky. Hollywood Beach is the working man's town. Roughly in the middle is Fort Lauderdale, which has a great beach that is one of my favorites. The place my wife and I hang out the most (we live in Parkland) is Delray Beach, which is really nice but not quite as expensive as West Palm. If east coast is your choice and if it were my money, I would look to Delray Beach.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #8
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
I'm going to where you don't want to go shortly (south beach) but for more chill vibes I much prefer the gulf coast. Its much calmer in virtually every way, including the ocean.

East of Walton, Santa Rosa to Rosemary. That is where we often go for a quick, quiet weekend. But its not Wicked Weasel friendly...

Water aint bad either:
I used to LOVE So Be but it has changed. However, we have been so many times I want to try something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
You may have already been there already but Clearwater Beach is nice and closer, also Anna Maria Island is also a good beach.
Been to Clearwater, thought about trying Dunedin and I work 9 miles from AMI. We go for lunch sometimes, so not much of a getaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Depends on what you are looking to do, WPB is more of a local chill vibe, City Place (now called the square), the water front along Flagler, Clematis St. are good places to check out.

Downtown Delray is a good vibe for dinner, definitely check out the area one night you are in town. Boca Town Center for some shopping and Mizner Park for food/walking around, and the Beach area in Boca are also nice spots to check out.

The Las Olas strip and Las Olas beach is also a nice area to check out if you are in Fort Lauderdale.

I always recommend the Keys if anyone hasn't been there, I enjoy the drive, stopping along the way and checking things out, grabbing food and heading back for a leisurely day out.
Thats exactly the info I was looking for. Dont really need a beach but love a good pool and def. shops and excellent restaurants. I think the square is what I was thinking of. Saw some restaurant on one of the foodie shows I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I would also recommend Delray if you are set on the east coast. That’s our usual hangout spot as we are only a few miles away. From there it’s a short drive down A1A to Boca or Deerfield. Deerfield has a couple of decent ocean front restaurants/bars also. I’m not sure that there’s that much going on in WPB on the water, but haven’t been in a long time. If you do end up in WPB and go to City Place check out Bellagio, my favorite Italian restaurant ever.
We are so close to the Gulf I dont really care about water on the East coast, just looking for a different area to explore and get out of town for a bit. Wife's Bday is coming up so some shopping and good food and maybe relax at the pool for a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Delray beach - while small is a spot you cannot miss imho.

FTL - Las Olas are good too.
Miami itself is a totally different vibe.
Thanks, Ill look into Delray also...We love Miami but have been so many times thats all.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used to LOVE So Be but it has changed. However, we have been so many times I want to try something else.

Been to Clearwater, thought about trying Dunedin and I work 9 miles from AMI. We go for lunch sometimes, so not much of a getaway.

Thats exactly the info I was looking for. Dont really need a beach but love a good pool and def. shops and excellent restaurants. I think the square is what I was thinking of. Saw some restaurant on one of the foodie shows I think.

We are so close to the Gulf I dont really care about water on the East coast, just looking for a different area to explore and get out of town for a bit. Wife's Bday is coming up so some shopping and good food and maybe relax at the pool for a few hours.

Thanks, Ill look into Delray also...We love Miami but have been so many times thats all.
Well I would say West Palm Beach probably has more shopping than Delray (Boca also has a lot of shopping) and is a bigger area in general, but they are like 30 min apart so you can still stay in WPB and drive down to Delray one day to check it out. I would also recommend Hullabaloo on Clematis St which is another popular area in downtown WPB.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-21-2022, 08:16 PM   #10
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
West Palm Beach
Hollywood Beach

If you decide on Palm Beach County, check out Peanut Island on Riviera Beach. Great spot for snorkeling though I haven’t been there in a few years. Smart to avoid South Beach as a shooting last night was all over the news here all day. I was in the Keys yesterday at Islamorada and it wasn’t too bad. Us locals avoid SoBe 24/7, even during the off season. If your SO is into shopping, the Palm Beach Outlets will keep you busy.

Rapids Waterpark, also in Riviera Beach, is a nice waterpark to enjoy and usually isn’t too crowded the times I go.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Palm Beach (West Palm also ok but Palm Beach is where the beach is), Vero Beach, Amelia Island, Sanibel, Naples...
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #12
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Marco Island anyone???
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:08 PM   #13
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Marco Island anyone???
+1. Great spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #14
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
+1. Great spot.
I'll take Marco over Miami / Ft. Lauderdale any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:09 AM   #15
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I live in Delray Beach, strange to hear about it as a vacation spot, but it is a great town. The Ave, as we call it, has gotten too busy for me, but for someone on vacation it's a great area. They have built a few hotels there recently, just be careful not to stay in one that is close to I-95. That area is kinda in the hood. Boca is always a good destination, but things get quiet around 10pm. So many great places to eat you can't go wrong. But if you decide to eat in either Delray or Boca, make reservations at least a week or two out.

Another fun thing to do is get an all day water taxi pass in Ft. Lauderdale and cruise the intracoastal. Or even rent a small boat and hang out at Lake Boca on a Saturday or Sunday.
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #16
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Marco Island anyone???
Beautiful but kind of sleepy area for my taste...I like Naples as well, just trying to get to the other side of the state.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #17
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Beautiful but kind of sleepy area for my taste...I like Naples as well, just trying to get to the other side of the state.
Panhandle too far to drive? I always loved going to Longboat Key; I know it's right in your backyard but maybe a weekend stay there would work for you? I liked Satellite Beach too for chill east coast vibes. Good luck with whatever you choose, say hi to Dave R for me
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I live in Delray Beach, strange to hear about it as a vacation spot, but it is a great town. The Ave, as we call it, has gotten too busy for me, but for someone on vacation it's a great area. They have built a few hotels there recently, just be careful not to stay in one that is close to I-95. That area is kinda in the hood. Boca is always a good destination, but things get quiet around 10pm. So many great places to eat you can't go wrong. But if you decide to eat in either Delray or Boca, make reservations at least a week or two out.

Another fun thing to do is get an all day water taxi pass in Ft. Lauderdale and cruise the intracoastal. Or even rent a small boat and hang out at Lake Boca on a Saturday or Sunday.
It has become unbearable. I live in Boynton and honestly I can’t even stand that. It’s now like snowbird season ALL the time. I use to go to the ave in the before times for happy hour and it would be dead. I could literally park anywhere on the street no problem. Now at 3pm on a weekday it’s packed!

Personally I would still go for lunch or happy hour vs dinner time.
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      03-22-2022, 10:12 PM   #19
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

All I know is, Google your birthday (month and day) followed by - "Florida man."
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-23-2022, 06:26 AM   #20
its55
2008 BMW E92 M3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Hilton Head yeah I know it’s not FL.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 07:00 AM   #21
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It has become unbearable. I live in Boynton and honestly I can’t even stand that. It’s now like snowbird season ALL the time. I use to go to the ave in the before times for happy hour and it would be dead. I could literally park anywhere on the street no problem. Now at 3pm on a weekday it’s packed!

Thats how Sarasota and the beaches (AMI,LBK,Bradenton) are now.....but all these people help my income so I can't complain too much

Catch 22
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      03-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #22
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

The parking is a disaster. On the rare occasion we go, I park a few blocks south and make sure I'm carrying my P228. On the weekends I'll go by boat, and dock at the public dock just north of the bridge, and take a walk up the Ave.
Tommy-G4490.50