BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Sandals resort

03-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Sandals resort

I can't afford to go to Eden so we are looking at Sandals in the fall.
Been to Montego Bay back about 1996, and the Royal Bahamian in 2005.

Just wonder if anyone has any experience with any of their other properties

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

We went to St. Lucia (Grande St. Lucian) for our honeymoon and will be returning this year. We've also been to Jamaica (Montego Bay) and went to Bahamas (Emerald Bay) last year. Highly recommend it! I know there are much better resorts but for the money I think it's pretty good and we've always had a good time. Sign up for their rewards so you get points and free stuff. Do you have any specific questions?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
We went to St. Lucia (Grande St. Lucian) for our honeymoon and will be returning this year. We've also been to Jamaica (Montego Bay) and went to Bahamas (Emerald Bay) last year. Highly recommend it! I know there are much better resorts but for the money I think it's pretty good and we've always had a good time. Sign up for their rewards so you get points and free stuff. Do you have any specific questions?
Mostly looking for recommendations on what properties people liked.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #4
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
been to jamaica several times with just my wife & me, as well as big party groups. "couples" resorts have been our favorite when it's just the two of us.

https://couples.com/resorts

couples is still privately / family owned and they have a great reputation for service. they may lack the bells & whistles of some newer resorts, but the service is really top notch. they have four locations - 2 in ocho rios and 2 in negril. we prefer the negril locations mainly because the beach is better.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #5
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Mostly looking for recommendations on what properties people liked.
We found St Lucia to be he best so far. The food at Jamaica wasn’t as good as the other resorts, in our opinion. Club level without a butler is what we prefer. We got a butler suite in Jamaica and we found they were more of a nuisance as we’d rather do our own thing but they did help get chairs, food, and reservations. What we didn’t know is they expect a tip at the end. Heard from another couple. Bahamas was good but the wind prevented us from doing any boat related excursions so that was a bummer.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
We stayed at the the Grande St. Lucian as well for our honeymoon. We lived that place. Met a ton of couples on the trip and still keep up with them today.

Did you go on JJ's speed boat tour? That was by far the best time we had on the entire trip.
      03-28-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
We stayed at the the Grande St. Lucian as well for our honeymoon. We lived that place. Met a ton of couples on the trip and still keep up with them today.

Did you go on JJ's speed boat tour? That was by far the best time we had on the entire trip.
No, we didn’t but I’ll have to check it out this year. We did do a sunset catamaran trip. Worst part is how far the resort is from the airport so we’ll prob try the helicopter.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #8
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Go to Negril. No question. It's just the right size, best management/service in the Sandals group, and the nicest beach on the island.

Just don't plan on surfing- the largest waves I've seen there were in the 1.5-2 inch range.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #9
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Go to Negril. No question. It's just the right size, best management/service in the Sandals group, and the nicest beach on the island.

Just don't plan on surfing- the largest waves I've seen there were in the 1.5-2 inch range.
Thats OK, my ass stays on the sand
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I took the whole family to a Sandals in Jamaica. It was newly added to the group, but was a tiny resort in comparison. By the second morning, the omelet lady knew just what I wanted. We still had access to the larger resorts locations in the chain, but when we took the shuttle over there, it was so much larger/dirtier/reduced service we came back "home" within an hour or two.

My two boys were recruited each night to participate in the shows around the pool. They did a fashion show and got to keep one shirt. The director made of point of bringing them both a bottle of rum the morning we were leaving, but since they were 17 and 6, dad had to take possession for the trip back to the mainland.

One of my fondest travel memories is playing chess with my youngest son, on one of those big boards where you have to physically pick up and walk the piece to it's new position. It was PORING rain, and between moves I just ducked up under the bar canopy to grab another sip. It was so warm we really didn't care about the rain.

Did I mention it was all-inclusive????
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #11
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I took the whole family to a Sandals in Jamaica. It was newly added to the group, but was a tiny resort in comparison. By the second morning, the omelet lady knew just what I wanted. We still had access to the larger resorts locations in the chain, but when we took the shuttle over there, it was so much larger/dirtier/reduced service we came back "home" within an hour or two.

My two boys were recruited each night to participate in the shows around the pool. They did a fashion show and got to keep one shirt. The director made of point of bringing them both a bottle of rum the morning we were leaving, but since they were 17 and 6, dad had to take possession for the trip back to the mainland.

One of my fondest travel memories is playing chess with my youngest son, on one of those big boards where you have to physically pick up and walk the piece to it's new position. It was PORING rain, and between moves I just ducked up under the bar canopy to grab another sip. It was so warm we really didn't care about the rain.

Did I mention it was all-inclusive????
You sure it wasn't Beaches you stayed at and not Sandals? It's owned by Sandals but for families. I'd be surprised if Sandals let a 6yr old stay there.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #12
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I glanced thru what was at Sandals, I didn't see anything I recognized. Negril at Beaches looks like where we shuttled over to. I think I might have walked home from there. Neither shows the little resort I was at.

And this was 15 years ago, I'm old(er) now, memory is the second thing to go
Appreciate 2
Pottah203.00
      03-29-2022, 04:13 PM   #13
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Sandals is adults only but Beaches is their family version. The logos are even similar.
I agree UncleWede that was the best hospitality I experienced. The servers knew how you liked you coffee/food and the bartenders knew what you were drinking and they always pumped the ladies egos up.

Good stuff.....I was shopped when I did some price checking with my travel agent what a week is going for nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #14
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

We're heading to Mexico City next month, but dang now I wango Jamaica, mahn!
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      03-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #15
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The Sandals in Negril is nice, been there a few times but it's been a few years.

Just keep in mind, just down the beach is one of the swinger/nude resorts. We were there for Thanksgiving, what they call "Spanksgiving" when the folks from the nude resort parade down the beach in very minimal clothing.

If you want actual good Jamaican food, you'll have to leave the resort. One of the best meals I ever had was sitting on the side of the road in Negril with a redstripe and drum pan chicken (Jerk Chicken).

The Sandals in Negril is much more chill and their is a public beach next door, and the 6' within the water is public so you will get bothered by people selling purses/hats/lobster/weed. The Sandals in Montego Bay is much more party heavy and the beach is private..........but you'll still see guys in small canoes after the sun goes down selling weed and such.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #16
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
For those of you who have not been to Jamaica in a while…Weed is finally legal…if that’s important to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #17
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The Sandals in Negril is nice, been there a few times but it's been a few years.

Just keep in mind, just down the beach is one of the swinger/nude resorts. We were there for Thanksgiving, what they call "Spanksgiving" when the folks from the nude resort parade down the beach in very minimal clothing.

If you want actual good Jamaican food, you'll have to leave the resort. One of the best meals I ever had was sitting on the side of the road in Negril with a redstripe and drum pan chicken (Jerk Chicken).

The Sandals in Negril is much more chill and their is a public beach next door, and the 6' within the water is public so you will get bothered by people selling purses/hats/lobster/weed. The Sandals in Montego Bay is much more party heavy and the beach is private..........but you'll still see guys in small canoes after the sun goes down selling weed and such.
Tell me more about this nude resort? I mean so I make sure to stay away from it. Do you know the name and address
You're exactly right, the guys in the canoes were all over the place. Jewelry if you looked prude and drugs if you looked like a partier

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
For those of you who have not been to Jamaica in a while…Weed is finally legal…if that’s important to you.
Nope, but it blows my mind it wasnt before
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #18
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

It's called Hedonism II, it's literally the resort just to the north of Sandals Negril.

If you happen to go, definitely get a Lobster from "Fire Man" it's outstanding. If you're up early enough, you'll seem him going out into the bay to catch them by hand, then grill them up at his little place next door on the public beach.

But if he offers you "space cake," IE super hash heavy brownies, be careful. 1 is enough for 4 people for a few days. We did not know this and the couple from Denver we were hanging out with, the ladies didn't like it, so he and I just finished it off.

It wasn't until the next day I had come down enough to actually enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #19
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
It's called Hedonism II, it's literally the resort just to the north of Sandals Negril.

If you happen to go, definitely get a Lobster from "Fire Man" it's outstanding. If you're up early enough, you'll seem him going out into the bay to catch them by hand, then grill them up at his little place next door on the public beach.

But if he offers you "space cake," IE super hash heavy brownies, be careful. 1 is enough for 4 people for a few days. We did not know this and the couple from Denver we were hanging out with, the ladies didn't like it, so he and I just finished it off.

It wasn't until the next day I had come down enough to actually enjoy it.
I forgot all about Hedonisim, seems like that was a thing 20 years ago. Guess I’m just old now
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 05:36 AM   #20
Kool Kat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Garage List
2022 X6 M50i  [9.50]
Anyone been to the Greneda location?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #21
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Kat View Post
Anyone been to the Greneda location?
I have not but would also be interested in hearing feedback from someone who has. We considered going there this year for our anniversary but decided instead to go back to where we went on our honeymoon, St. Lucia. A previous co-worker went to a bunch of Sandals resorts and said Grenada is really nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:46 AM   #22
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

I'm sure it's awesome. My hotel of choice in the Caribbean is the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach in Cancun. The beach is sort of cordoned from the other hotels by rocks on either side, the service and spa are phenomenal though the rooms are a bit aging at this point. I've been there 17 times in the last 25 years, but not the last 3. I haven't been since it became all inclusive, which IMO is a bad thing. But will still go back.
Appreciate 0