E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blown Turbos? (N54)

03-31-2022, 01:12 PM   #1
mr.bangle3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Blown Turbos? (N54)

So guys, my 07 335 stopped making boost about 3-4 weeks ago, didn't/doesnt make any strange turbo noises. I had just started it up one day, get on her and boom, no boost, still haven't made any since then. My thinking was the waste gates because at the same time the exhaust note changed and engine is running great still. Well now, (I do not daily the car) if the car sits for any period of time, it will smoke heavily for the first few mins of driving then clears up when its warm. The smoke is blue and grayish, I have no codes at all even though im not even making a bar of boost. So obviously something is up with the turbos but the smoke is what's throwing me off because if it were just waste gate problems it wouldn't be smoking correct? Any input is appreciated, sorry for any left out info!

2007 E92 335i MHD stage 2+, XHP stage 3.

Last edited by mr.bangle3; 03-31-2022 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

First check the easy stuff, vacuum lines. Start at the vacuum canisters and work your way to the other side of the engine. No vacuum = no boost. If you haven’t done it yet, upgrade all of the lines to silicone lines.
By the way, the reason I said this is when I swapped out my turbos I forgot to attach one of the lines and although running great, ZERO boost. Exhaust note did also change a bit.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
mr.bangle3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
First check the easy stuff, vacuum lines. Start at the vacuum canisters and work your way to the other side of the engine. No vacuum = no boost. If you haven't done it yet, upgrade all of the lines to silicone lines.
By the way, the reason I said this is when I swapped out my turbos I forgot to attach one of the lines and although running great, ZERO boost. Exhaust note did also change a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
First check the easy stuff, vacuum lines. Start at the vacuum canisters and work your way to the other side of the engine. No vacuum = no boost. If you haven't done it yet, upgrade all of the lines to silicone lines.
I'll go back over them again but almost positive they're all good. any ideas on the smoke?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Valve seals/guides could be the cause of smoke after the car sits for a while.
Turbo seals could also be an issue and burning oil. But the turbo seals would cause smoke even when warmed up, mainly at idle.

I agree, change the vacuum lines or at least inspect them.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Valve seals/guides could be the cause of smoke after the car sits for a while.
Turbo seals could also be an issue and burning oil. But the turbo seals would cause smoke even when warmed up, mainly at idle.

I agree, change the vacuum lines or at least inspect them.
Yep!
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0