F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need help identifying oil leak
proTUNING Freaks

04-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
Fl_Rza_99
Rep
Drives: BMW '15 435i Coupe

Need help identifying oil leak

3 months ago I had my valve cover gasket replaced after it started leaking oil onto my exhaust and causing it to stink up my cabin of burning oil. Since fixing the problem I haven't noticed the smell but a few days ago I was replacing my windshield washer fluid and noticed there was oil on the part linked (don't know what it's called). Any idea what the issue may be? I've cleaned it up and after 2 days it reappeared. I'm thinking my oil may have been overfilled. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Rza_99 View Post
3 months ago I had my valve cover gasket replaced after it started leaking oil onto my exhaust and causing it to stink up my cabin of burning oil. Since fixing the problem I haven't noticed the smell but a few days ago I was replacing my windshield washer fluid and noticed there was oil on the part linked (don't know what it's called). Any idea what the issue may be? I've cleaned it up and after 2 days it reappeared. I'm thinking my oil may have been overfilled. Thanks
There's three things that could come from.

1) While changing oil, they spilled a bit on the OFHG and it stayed there.
2) The O-rings in your oil filter housing needs to be changed
3) Oil filter housing gasket.

Best way to find out is wipe the oil clean, change the oil filter O-rings, drive a bit, and take a look after a few days to see if the oil comes back, if it does, it's your OFHG.
      04-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #3
Fl_Rza_99
Rep

Thank you for the info! much appreciated. I've cleaned it once and it came back so I'll make sure to replace the o-ring and to check on it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

What oil filter kit was used at the last oil change. I made the mistake of using a K&N oil filter kit and immediately discovered oil in that location. Upon examination, discovered the oil filter cap o-ring was actually slightly oval and allowed oil to seep by under pressure.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
Fl_Rza_99
Rep

I had a shop do the oil change for me about 3 months ago so I'm not sure what kit they might have used, but I bought a new o ring from rockauto for less than $2 so hopefully that will fix the problem when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, G80

Ya it doesn't look like anything you need to worry about check under the oil filter housing if that's leaking down the side of your motor and on to the belt then worry a lot. Highly recommend not driving until belt is changed in that situation since the belt can slip and get into the motor and then clogging the oil supply.
Appreciate 1