E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP !! - Montreal / Laval Owners

12-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
jlspost
Rep
Drives: 330i

HELP !! - Montreal / Laval Owners

Hi,

I am trying to contact the previous owner of my new/used bmw in order to UNinstall a hidden BOOMERANG system that was after market installed.

Maybe he/she can help us by telling us where to locate the hidden BOOMERANG system. I believe this car was originally from LAVAL BMW.

Soooo ....Just in case the original owner reads this and can help ... here's my car.

I bought in mid October 6 weeks ago ;this 2006 330i originally came from LAVAL QUEBEC canada - its an Artic Silver, 6spd manual , sunroof, with tan vinyl seats ; and sport pac ; about 42,000 kms.

Here's the info from the posted thread RE the original problme:

========================

While at the bmw dealer ... In attempting to correct a non-working rear defroster ... bmw says I have a drain on the battery ( of 18mv I think he said) ... and this drain was causing the computer to disable the rear defroster.

I am not sure correcting this drain will solve the rear defroster problem - but first things first I guess.

Sooooo .... We are attempting to find a battery drain on my new/used 06 330i ...

Apparently I have a BOOMERANG thing installed (I am not subscribing) ... and BMW says this is a likely culprit and should be UNinstalled from the car first. Problem is that bmw will not cover the shop time of FINDING this thing and removing it ! they said it could be several hours at $160 per hour !!!!

QUESTION) Since the BOOMERANG installers try to HIDE it ... Is there anyone familiar with the BOOMERANG system and can give us some tips on where to find it on the car ?

ps - Just in case the original owner reads this and can help ... this 2006 330i originally came from LAVAL QUEBEC canada - its an Artic Silver, 6spd , with tan vinyl and sport pac ; about 42,000 kms - I bought in mid October 6 weeks ago.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Get your specific rights about warranty. Quebec is explicit on used car warranties. From whom did you buy, dealer?

IMO, it can be an hidden defect, that you can find the seller liable. So work with them 1st.

Do not spend your money too quick. Is there a fuse you can remove in that Boomerang system?

My 2007 had this kind of issue and was repaired at BMW Laval, after 2 full weeks I let my car there. My car battery ws out of juice after 2-3 days stopped. But on a daily basis, you wouldn't notice.

The final culprit in my case was a faulty driver's side locking mechanism. I heard a few E90 cases of battery drain related to the central locking system .
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
jlspost
Rep

I did not purchase the car from BMW ... you're right it could be a drain from some other problem.

ps- I have no waranty from place I bought it -didn't think I needed one since 1 year left on the bmw bumper to bumper waranty ...

So the bmw dealer wants to remove the BOOMERANG thing first to rule out the aftermarket product.

He said they charged a guy 6 hours at $160 per hour just to find the darn thing !!! That's what I'm trying to avoid.

All this for a silly rear defroster not working )-:

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Don't bite.

Quote:
Vices cachés - Le Code civil du Québec utilise une appellation pour définir certaines garanties qui découlent d'une vente. Il s'agit de la « garantie de qualité » qui inclut la garantie contre les vices cachés. Ainsi, lors d'une transaction entre particuliers, le vendeur doit fournir cette garantie à l'acheteur. Le Code civil du Québec définit le vice caché comme une défectuosité « qui rend impropre à l'usage auquel il est destiné ou qui diminue tellement son utilité que l'acheteur ne l'aurait pas acheté ou n'aurait pas donné si haut prix, s'il l'avait connue ». Cette garantie s'applique au bien vendu et à ses accessoires. Par ailleurs, un vice est apparent lorsqu'il peut être constaté par un acheteur prudent et diligent sans avoir besoin de recourir à un expert. La loi spécifie que l'acheteur doit dorénavant dénoncer par écrit le vice caché, au vendeur, dans un délai raisonnable (en fait le plus tôt possible) après la découverte du vice. Ensuite, l'acheteur a trois ans pour intenter une poursuite si le vendeur refuse de régler le problème à sa satisfaction.
you have to work with the seller first.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

I wasn't able to understand if you got this car from Canbec or a private sale. Unimportant. If purchased from the dealer or private sale, they still have an obligation to disclose the fact that you have a boomerang, so that as an informed consumer you can make the appropriate decision regarding your purchase. They would be required to have removed or compensate you to you remove it.

As an aside, any boomerang dealer/installer would be able to find and disconnect in under an hour.
      12-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

From memory from other threads the previous owner of the car will not know where the boomerang is. Apparently they don't want anyone to (including the owner) to see where they install them so that their favourite install spots don't become common knowledge. If you know where the car was originally purchased then maybe they know which shop installed the boomerang and they may be able to help removing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
What the heck is a Boomerang besides the obvious toy that comes to mind?
      12-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
What the heck is a Boomerang besides the obvious toy that comes to mind?
boomerang is the canadian lo-jack.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
Vnak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

I used to work as a Honda tech and I was one of the tech's that is certified to install Lo-jack in vehicles. I was told by the Lo-jack representative that the system itself requires very minimal draw and does not effect the vehicle in any way. I've installed numerous (probably 40+ installed) Lo-jack systems and never had a vehicle come back in with a drained battery due to the Lo-jack system itself. Although I guess if it somehow got installed improperly, (now quite sure how...system itself is easy to install) I guess it can cause a drain...

The dealership told you there is an 18mV drain? Here in the U.S we would measure it in mA. Maybe you mean mA? There will always be some sort of drain due to electronic components (ie. clock, ecm, radio presets, seat memory, etc) that is always on and those are normal. I'm not sure what BMW specs are to tell you how bad your vehicle is having a drain. Newer Honda vehicles can have up to a draw of up to 10mA (iirc). So it varies from manufacturers.

Has your battery ever died? That's usually the first sign of you posibly having a parasitic draw.

What the dealership did was performed a parasitic draw test. If the parasitic draw is "high" like your dealership mentioned, it should be easy (i would think) for them to pinpoint in which system the draw is located at. The way we did it, we hook up a meter and read the numbers (parasitic draw test) while pulling fuses/relays until the numbers drop, and when it does, we've pinpointed to the system area it is located and work from there.

As far as telling you where it's located...I wouldn't know either. . The system can be anywhere in your car unfortunately.

How did they know you have a boomerange installed in your vehicle? I would think if they knew that much, they would either know who the installer is...or that they found the boomerange themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
jlspost
Rep

The dealer did not know the boomerang was installed ... but they suspected it was - since they see many Quebec cars with boomerang installs.

They asked me if I was given some extra key fobs with the regular keys. When I got home I checked and sure enough ... I had 2 extra fobs that had boomerang written on them.

BTW - the dealer did not claim that for certain that the boomerang is the root or sole source of the 18ma drain - but in order to do a full investigation paid by the bmw waranty ... they said to remove the aftermarket boomerang first.

After that removal they'll check the drain and maybe the faulty rear defroster problem will go away ... OR NOT. But at least the waranty would cover the labour to debug the problem if it is still there after the boomer removal.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Vnak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Ah..would it be possible for you to pay the labor cost for finding the boomerange and then if that isn't the issue, get your money back? I am not sure what would be the best/cheapest way to find the boomerange other than that.

Though, on the brighter side, since you have 2 fobs with you, it means you have early-warning, the best boomerange/lo-jack provides.

If boomerang isn't the issue I would suggest you leave it installed, since I believe it drops down the insurance rate, but depends who your insurance company is too.
Appreciate 0