E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Left Lane Hogs Beware....

12-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Left Lane Hogs Beware....

I thought this was funny, I have seen this topic on this site on a couple different occasions. Its always great to see your frustration being shared by others!

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...you-crazy.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Motor She Wrote
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

New York drivers kill me with this. Anywhere up and down the Eastern Seaboard I go, I swear it's jackhole NY drivers camping out in the left lane. Half of the unsafe driving I see is because people are clogging up the left lane, which makes boy racers want to weave in and out of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

This is a safety issue. Poor lane discipline kills people.

For a period of time in the late 1990s Montana had no enforceable highway speed limits. In 1999 a 75 mph limit was introduced – and fatalities went up. Way up. Interestingly average speeds changed very little. Apparently the major effect of arbitrary speed limits is justification of poor lane discipline (“I can sit here, I am going the speed limit”). This impedes traffic flow and leads to multi-car accidents.

It is also theorized that this is why the unregulated sections of the German Autobahn have a lower fatality rate than the American highway system.

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I don't care if you're going the speed limit in the left lane. Move the f$%@ over if people are going faster than you.

Definitely one of my top 3 pet peeves on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

This is the law in Germany as well. Nothing sucked more than to be on the Autobahn and have to slam your brakes on to avoid hitting someone who was putting along in the left lane. Frieght trucks were the worst, you could smell the brake pads burning away.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
6speedGaren
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep
Drives: ISO 330I

Garage List
2006 375I  [0.00]
I think cops should ticket for that in every state, that will promote a good driving habits and less pissed off drivers.

Move biotch get out the way.
      12-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Those inferior cars in the left lane...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
What I see often in this part of Colorado (and I'm sure it's common elsewhere) are people who ride along in the left lane, then cut across 2 or 3 lanes of traffic in order to turn right onto an exit, offramp, etc. Absolutely incredible.

Then there are the self-righteous types who think that they're doing someone a favor by slowing down others by cruising in the left lane. Around here (Boulder area) it seems that people driving in Subarus are the worst offenders, but maybe that's just because this place is Subaru-central. There are signs on most major highways that say things like "Slower Traffic Keep Right," but many people ignore them.

A related pet-peeve is when I'm cruising on the highway in the right lane. Two or more cars pull onto the highway, with one or more of them in each lane. They all saw me coming, and could have all pulled into the right lane (which is the law, I'm fairly certain) and I would have moved to the left lane to pass. If they're going to pull into the left lane like that, they should be sure that they can accelerate fast enough to get around the other car before I come upon them.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Left lane hogging seems particularly bad in MN. It's accompanied by total oblivion to what's going on around them, often with a dash or two of swerving because they're also on the cell phone. And while seatbelts are mandatory, I cannot understand why it's still legal to talk on the phone while driving. I suppose enough people haven't been killed here yet because of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
BavarianBeastTamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i m4 vert on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor She Wrote View Post
New York drivers kill me with this. Anywhere up and down the Eastern Seaboard I go, I swear it's jackhole NY drivers camping out in the left lane. Half of the unsafe driving I see is because people are clogging up the left lane, which makes boy racers want to weave in and out of traffic.
+1 It's crazy, when these ny drivers are in the city, they are weaving in and out and coming within inches of your car. When they go to another state; they ONLY use the left land and drive 55. Never seen a Ny driver in the middle lane.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I think it's an all-across-America thing. There's a whole "I know better than you, so don't tell me what to do" thing that's more prevalent here than in Europe, for example.

God, I love driving in Europe for this above all things. People get out of the fast lane the second they see you coming.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
mroach
hej på dig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
This is the law in Germany as well. Nothing sucked more than to be on the Autobahn and have to slam your brakes on to avoid hitting someone who was putting along in the left lane. Frieght trucks were the worst, you could smell the brake pads burning away.
Really? I found drivers in Germany were really good about only going fast in the left lane. Only once or twice did I have to slam on my brakes and slow to like 160 km/h because some a-hole wouldn't move.

Did you flash your lights as you were coming up to them? That's the way to go. Everyone does it. They're not being a-holes, they're just saying watch out, I'm coming and I don't want to slow down. I blocked people a few times by accident and I felt really bad about it.

I'm totally down with German road law. I really wish we banned passing on the right here. Passing on the right is both unnecessary and dangerous. If people would move the f' over you'd never need to undertake other drivers.

Obviously the speed limits need to be raised as well or eliminated on long motorway stretches. As you guys have mentioned, it lets a-hole drivers think it's ok to drive the speed limit in the left lane. Not to mention the speed limits are grossly outdated.

Left lane slow-pokes is the #1 thing that makes my blood boil when I drive. I've adopted autobahn techniques and now flash my lights at people to get them out of my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
God, I love driving in Europe for this above all things. People get out of the fast lane the second they see you coming.
Yeah, I absolutely love driving in Europe. Every day that I drive here I think about how much better my life would be if I were in Europe instead...
      12-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
A related pet-peeve is when I'm cruising on the highway in the right lane. Two or more cars pull onto the highway, with one or more of them in each lane. They all saw me coming, and could have all pulled into the right lane (which is the law, I'm fairly certain) and I would have moved to the left lane to pass. If they're going to pull into the left lane like that, they should be sure that they can accelerate fast enough to get around the other car before I come upon them.
Exactly! I have a similar peeve, my philosophy is that if I'm cruising along at x speed, and you intend to pull out of a side road or enter the highway, you better damn well make sure you accelerate to at least the speed limit before I reach you. Don't be doing 40km/h in a 60 zone while I'm barreling towards you at 75. What's even worse is when I choose to pass to the left, and the idiot driver who got in my way in the first place decides to change lanes too, by then still going below the limit. One time a few years ago I had to put up with this minivan straddling both lanes after taking the turn, possibly just to piss me off I don't know.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Dan73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ↑ Not that ↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Exactly! I have a similar peeve, my philosophy is that if I'm cruising along at x speed, and you intend to pull out of a side road or enter the highway, you better damn well make sure you accelerate to at least the speed limit before I reach you. Don't be doing 40km/h in a 60 zone while I'm barreling towards you at 75. What's even worse is when I choose to pass to the left, and the idiot driver who got in my way in the first place decides to change lanes too, by then still going below the limit. One time a few years ago I had to put up with this minivan straddling both lanes after taking the turn, possibly just to piss me off I don't know.

I really do hate people who merge on the highway at 30mph, or better yet stop...

...when we have our own lane.
      12-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan73 View Post
I really do hate people who merge on the highway at 30mph, or better yet stop...
YES!!!!+1 I experience the 30mph all the time and have also experienced the full stop. I had to swerve out the way because the moron slammed on their brakes on a freeway merge
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
micah
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan73 View Post

...when we have our own lane.
The most disconcerting experience is when you are entering the fwy behind one of these idiots. Here in WA state, the arboretum entrance to 520, stuck behind one of those losers is a good way to get yourself killed. I've contemplated pulling over and waiting for a few minutes to let them clear the lane, but I lack the patience.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nothing beats this:

Driving on 405 North during slight traffic in carpool. I'm going 50 because of the traffic. Guy cuts me off going with a couple inches to spare from my bumper to his and then he proceeds to give me the bird.

Nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
The most disconcerting experience is when you are entering the fwy behind one of these idiots. Here in WA state, the arboretum entrance to 520, stuck behind one of those losers is a good way to get yourself killed. I've contemplated pulling over and waiting for a few minutes to let them clear the lane, but I lack the patience.
I experienced that last time I visited. It was dangerous, but hilarious to see those people with no clue.
      12-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #19
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lol
      12-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
I think it's an all-across-America thing. There's a whole "I know better than you, so don't tell me what to do" thing that's more prevalent here than in Europe, for example.

uhh your location says San Jose, CA lol
      12-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
RyanZERO
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black on black..on black.

Figures someone pulled a gun on a driver outside of Pittsburgh.. I think I remember hearing about that, now that I think of it..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZERO View Post
Figures someone pulled a gun on a driver outside of Pittsburgh.. I think I remember hearing about that, now that I think of it..
I think it was the guy driving in front that pulled the gun and was arrested.