BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

Driving Modes - Coding driving dynamics?

I love my 45e but the driving modes are overly complicated yet lack customization. Why in the world did BMW decide to make 7 different modes??? And why in the world do we have 'non-customizable' modes (SPORT, HYBRID, ELECRIC) and 'individual mode' (SPORT IND, HYBRID ECO PRO, ELECTRIC IND)?? And why can't we adjust all the setting for all the different modes??? Super frustrating.

I understand ADAPTIVE probably shouldn't have any settings, since in theory it adapts to the driving conditions/route. But why can't I have the sport steering and sport suspension in the HYBRID ECO mode? Does that use more energy? If so, it would be like enabling the ECO setting for lights and climate where it shows the efficiency hit.

And lastly, why in the world did BMW decide to shift it to the HYBRID driving mode when you move the transmission shifter to SPORT when you are in ELECTRIC???

I have 25k miles and half are electric. AVG 40+ mpg since factory. But ideally, I would love to run in ELECTRIC IND and SPORT, only. So, in a perfect world it would be ideal if changing the transmission shifter to SPORT would engage the sport driving mode, as opposed to the HYBRID driving mode.

Any chance someone has figured out how to code the drive mode settings?

And has anyone figured out how to code the base non-IND and IND driving modes with all the driving dynamic steering, suspension transmission settings? If I could customize HYBRID to have sport steering, suspension and transmission, then my problem would be solved. Some of you would probably think that sound like I just need to use sport mode but having to find the SPORT mode button, while trying to driving in a sporty manner is tough. Being able to just move the transmission shifter over... is super easy.

But in general, there are far too many mode and far too few customizations for the the modes. We should just have the 5 primary modes and we should simply be able to adjust them as we like with all the same settings. I can't think of a good reason to have both a SPORT and SPORT IND mode?

Rant done...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 03:09 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Is this specific to the 45e?

On my 40i, using sport individual I can have any combination of settings I want (engine in comfort, suspension in sport, gearbox in sport+ for example).

Never driven a 45e so not sure if it works differently.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by moholland View Post
And why can't we adjust all the setting for all the different modes??? Super frustrating.

But why can't I have the sport steering and sport suspension in the HYBRID ECO mode?
I agree, why didn't they give us a Hybrid Individual Option? We get Individual for Electric and Sport, why not Hybrid? Not very consistent and a bit frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I understand and agree with the issue not allowing full customization.

I default my car to Electric Idv with sport steering. BMW could have easily made the settings like a M car which steering suspension and throttle are all customizable. Bc I'd love to use sport steering with hybrid and adaptive.

However you have have sport transmission setting misunderstood. It took me a while to figure it out, but all each base settings are (Sport, Adaptive, Hybrid, Electric) are just variations of throttle input before ICE kicks in. That's all. Putting it in sport transmission is not different than putting it in sport albeit with no throttle suspension and steering default customization.
      06-01-2022, 07:04 AM   #5
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
However you have have sport transmission setting misunderstood. It took me a while to figure it out, but all each base settings are (Sport, Adaptive, Hybrid, Electric) are just variations of throttle input before ICE kicks in. That's all. Putting it in sport transmission is not different than putting it in sport albeit with no throttle suspension and steering default customization.
Flying Ace, I think you are actually missing my point

Right, moving the transmission shifter over to S mode just changes the dynamics of the individual modes SPORT, ADAPTIVE, HYBRID to more aggressive shift programs and turns off the auto-stop feature. But that IS NOT the case for ELECTRIC mode as it switches from ELECTRIC to HYBRID when the shifter is changed to S mode. That is frustrating because I think it is silly to think that I would want a SPORTY HYBRID mode, which seems like an oxymoron.

I run the ELECTRIC IND with all the sport settings, so when I shift the transmission to S mode the throttle does respond in a sporty manner but then my steering goes numb to the comfort setting and the suspension raises to the comfort setting, so the car actually feels less sporty overall.

If I could program the sport steering and suspension in the HYBRID mode, this would solve my complaint.
Appreciate 0