F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Diesel - regular vs premium -
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2022, 12:20 AM   #1
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

Diesel - regular vs premium -

So the dealer got me confused yesterday.

I mentioned I fill only premium diesel and they said that's one way to ruin my engine, I was like, wtf ?!? I thought I was doing something good for my car but they said that those additives in the premium diesel, make the diesel more "dry" and will damage fuel pump, injectors etc., because of lack of lubrication or smth like that.

They also pointed out that even on my fuel cap it's mentioned "no additives", but I thought it meant that I shouldn't add some, not that it meant I shouldn't fill with premium diesel.

What are your thoughts on that? Do you fill with regular or premium? The car is a 2016 X3 B47 engine, 2.0xd.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 01:42 AM   #2
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
No such thing here. Diesel is diesel is diesel. No tiers.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 02:57 AM   #3
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

I don't bother with 'premium' diesel.

There are grades of diesel available in Europe that may not be sold across the pond...however there is no extra performance in premium diesel as there is in premium petrol (i.e. 95, 97, 99, 102 RON)...it's purely an additive package to help clean the fuel system/engine.

However, for the dealer to point to the 'no additives' label is a bit stupid, as most winter blends of petrol and diesel and especially Shell V-Power have different formulations or additive packages too.

...and BMW sell their own fuel additives...
https://shop.bmw.co.uk/products/17304
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:42 AM   #4
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm-five View Post

...and BMW sell their own fuel additives...
https://shop.bmw.co.uk/products/17304
I know, I mentioned this, but they said it's not the same thing that's in premium diesel.

Anyway, they seemed very convinced that I am ruining my car and actually paying more in the process... lmao
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:04 AM   #5
cross90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31, 330d M-Sport

Ran mostly Shell V-Power Diesel in my 330d for years now, no issues.

The fuel additives among many other things are said to stabilise the fuel maintaining viscosity during temperature fluctuations, along with various other anti wear additives... Which would do the opposite to what your mans suggesting.

It could all be marketing rubbish. But its defiantly no worse for your engine than standard fuel... And if anything, slightly better.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

When a BMW service agent opens their mouth the only thing you can trust is that they know close to f*ck all. In the past I've had a Service Manager have a heated argument with me, claiming that the ZF transmission doesn't have a filter (he didn't want to change the pan when carrying out a fluid change), when clearly the images and specifications state that it's integral !

I stopped using premium diesel years ago (because of the price premium) and instead run regular plus a third party additive - Millers for years and now Archoil (also for years).

if you believe the claims these additives, and fuel brand (i.e. BP) additives, are specifically developed to improve lubricity, fuel 'burn' and cleaning properties.

Fuel brands wouldn't sell diesel with additives if there was a risk of damaging engines, pumps, etc. The cost of claims could be crippling.

80K miles on additives (and 101K total) and no issues whatsoever.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Eddamoo406.50
      06-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
In general it's best not to offer up information during "chit chats" with your service tech; you never when it might be used against you.

And "premium diesel" just means it probably has higher cetane for better combustion; nothing wrong with that. I dare say most service techs are clueless if you take away their diagnostic computers. It's sad how little most actually know.

Keep using premium if it's not too much of a price difference. Your fuel system will more than likely enjoy it. And don't forget to have the fuel filter replaced on schedule.

I prefer Hot Shot additive to normal diesel because of fuel prices lately, but I run premium diesel if I can find it. Places like Cenex fuel stations carry premium diesel.