G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

06-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Xdrive, X3 M40i LCI

NYS Tint laws

Whats the tint laws in NYS, getting a new vehicle next week and I'm looking to get it ceramic tinted but I heard no only can you get a ticket for having dark tints but you can fail NYS inspection too?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Yeah you're not allowed tints on the front windows or windshield. It doesn't really get enforced but I got stopped by a state trooper who gave me a 'fix it' ticket. My tints were super light too but I was speeding so he gave me this as punishment instead of points for speeding. Not a bad deal

It really doesn't get enforced much at all but if you get pulled over for speeding it's the kind of thing they might add on there.

A friendly inspection Center won't fail you and your years away from an inspection anyway

I understand the cops have gotten a lot stricter and more cautious with very dark tints, especially around the time some cops were shot and killed in the city in recent times. They want to be able to see you when they pull you over so they appreciate you putting the windows down right away
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Yeah you're not allowed tints on the front windows or windshield. It doesn't really get enforced but I got stopped by a state trooper who gave me a 'fix it' ticket. My tints were super light too but I was speeding so he gave me this as punishment instead of points for speeding. Not a bad deal

It really doesn't get enforced much at all but if you get pulled over for speeding it's the kind of thing they might add on there.

A friendly inspection Center won't fail you and your years away from an inspection anyway

I understand the cops have gotten a lot stricter and more cautious with very dark tints, especially around the time some cops were shot and killed in the city in recent times. They want to be able to see you when they pull you over so they appreciate you putting the windows down right away

Thank you for your response, I am a bit confuse about the "years from inspection" part. Don't you have an annual inspection in NYS?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80S58 View Post
Quote:

Thank you for your response, I am a bit confuse about the "years from inspection" part. Don't you have an annual inspection in NYS?
Not with a brand new car
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #5
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:
Not with a brand new car
You need to get your car inspected every year regardless of whether you bought it brand new or not.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a shop that will pass you despite tint if you have a good relationship with them.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

They will check your tint every year at inspection. Even the first year. You need to ask around to find a shop that will do it but keep in mind they risk their license so it's not that easy but doable. I have a local guy that does it, no questions and I just give him cash for double the fee.

Also, there is no "legal" tint in NY above what comes from factory with is basically nothing
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Quote:
Not with a brand new car
You need to get your car inspected every year regardless of whether you bought it brand new or not.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a shop that will pass you despite tint if you have a good relationship with them.
You learn something new every day. That's news to me, I've never got my car inspected

I thought you only had to do it after a couple
Of years on a new car. Maybe that's just the emissions?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 04:46 PM   #8
monagram
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Quote:
You learn something new every day. That's news to me, I've never got my car inspected

I thought you only had to do it after a couple
Of years on a new car. Maybe that's just the emissions?
If you bought it in NY it comes inspected. First two years are safety only, then they are emissions tested.
Appreciate 2
barryc3651956.00
chris s1249.50
      06-16-2022, 04:57 PM   #9
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

When you first purchase it the dealer does the safety inspection. After 12 months it's another safety inspection. At 24 months it's a full inspection with emissions. They check for tint at every inspection.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #10
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not with a brand new car
This is just wrong. NYS needs yearly inspections. Emissions inspections don't start until like year 3.

To the OP the NYS laws are stupid. 70% max tint which is what is factory except for the rear windshield. Rear windshield can be anything so as long as you have side mirrors.

There is currently a bill to allow for 50%, but that doesn't mean you can get 50%. That means that whatever you add to the factory 70% must be 50% or higher, which is still super light.

I have 35%. I have a parking sticker on both my car and my wife's X5 which has rear tinting from the factory. My car you can fully see the sticker. Her car it is almost unidentifiable.

It is a bullshit rule due to double standards like this- that trucks and SUVs can have deep dark tint from factory but if you own a sedan you must live in a fishbowl.

Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #11
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
This is just wrong. NYS needs yearly inspections. Emissions inspections don't start until like year 3.

To the OP the NYS laws are stupid. 70% max tint which is what is factory except for the rear windshield. Rear windshield can be anything so as long as you have side mirrors.

There is currently a bill to allow for 50%, but that doesn't mean you can get 50%. That means that whatever you add to the factory 70% must be 50% or higher, which is still super light.

I have 35%. I have a parking sticker on both my car and my wife's X5 which has rear tinting from the factory. My car you can fully see the sticker. Her car it is almost unidentifiable.

It is a bullshit rule due to double standards like this- that trucks and SUVs can have deep dark tint from factory but if you own a sedan you must live in a fishbowl.

Rant over.

Thank you for the clarification. I was planning to get ceramic tints to block off some heat from the sun. it looks like I will have to get "clear" tints to be able to pass inspection every year, I dont have the time to get it taken off and redo it every year. Who ever passed this law is a tool, Cuomo?
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

That sucks that you need to inspect brand new vehicles every year. NJ has 5 year exemption for brand new vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:33 AM   #13
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post

Rant over.

Thank you for the clarification. I was planning to get ceramic tints to block off some heat from the sun. it looks like I will have to get "clear" tints to be able to pass inspection every year, I dont have the time to get it taken off and redo it every year. Who ever passed this law is a tool, Cuomo?
Yes he did.

And ceramic will help with the heat. It's just not clear whether it will without the windshield as well.

Go onto xpel website and check out the differences in the products. You'd be surprised how much heat is blocked by the quality of the tint not the %
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #14
barryc365
Major
Rep

Has anyone got the inspection done at BMW?

I booked mine in for oil service and ticked the inspection box on the online reservation- no idea what to expect!

If they're going to fail me for tints I'm best off finding a 'friendly' shop to pass me?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #15
faze2988
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I booked mine in for oil service and ticked the inspection box on the online reservation- no idea what to expect!

If they're going to fail me for tints I'm best off finding a 'friendly' shop to pass me?
Would be curious to know the result, I bought my car from out of state so had to inspect it once I got my home state plates and car was already tinted by then. I was ready for a hassle but I went down the road from my house with windows down and was chatting the guy up and he didn’t even check my windows. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      06-19-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Quote:

I always roll down all my windows whenever pulled over and put my hands on the steering wheel. Make them feel safe as possible. I think they appreciate it, because I haven't gotten whenever I have done this.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #17
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

In my experience, dealers won't do it. Ask your friends for any service station contacts. Also, chances are you know someone with tint, ask them where they go. I have a few shops around me that will do it. As I said before, I just pay them double the price in cash and they seem to be happy with it.

One local place got a warning, because some dumb ass got pulled over by a trooper minutes after getting his inspection and he ratted on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 04:08 PM   #18
WATCHMY6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

No tint is allowed in NY, but for the most part the cops leave everyone alone… as for inspection, you need to know someone who will do it because it won't pass
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #19
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

They will fail you at a BMW center if you have tint. Dealerships are very strict with these.
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      08-28-2023, 08:35 AM   #20
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi folks, bringing this thread back up. I got my ceramic tints done, 35% in front and 70% the rest of the car including windshield. The tints really helped with the heat, this summer was brutal.

anyways, come someone help a forum member out on a shop in Queens or close to Queens that will pass me for for my tints. Can PM me if you dont want to share the info out to the public.

much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 12:40 PM   #21
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

My dealer has a sign to not even ask for an inspection if you have tints. Places will do it, but I found it's fairly easy to find a shop that will work with you.
I've never been bothered, like the front plate it seems like it's only something they'll give you a problem for if they've already pulled you over
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:23 AM   #22
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Hi folks, bringing this thread back up. I got my ceramic tints done, 35% in front and 70% the rest of the car including windshield. The tints really helped with the heat, this summer was brutal.

anyways, come someone help a forum member out on a shop in Queens or close to Queens that will pass me for for my tints. Can PM me if you dont want to share the info out to the public.

much appreciated!
Stop by a few local shops or "gas stations" that do inspections. Some will flat out say no, others can be persuaded. Hand them a $20 and ask nicely. Any dealership will either tell you ahead of time you won't pass, or they will fail you.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0