BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2022, 06:42 AM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540 Xdrive

A few questions

Putting in an order for an X5 today. Told the passenger side lumbar shows up as being available for the multi-contours. Crossing fingers since this is a deal breaker for me as I want my wife to be comfortable.

Brake package. I took the brake and wiper package on my last lease and I now have 14,000 miles and it was clearly a waste of money. For those who have a decent amount of mileage on their X5 with base brakes is it likely that they will need replacement in 3/36k? For $700 it works if you can use it because BMW pricing on one axle is going to be more than that. But since it is insurance and they do not sell it to lose money I am thinking the average X5 driver probably gets more than 36k from the pads and rotors. I am not a particularly hard driver, mostly suburban crawl and highway.

Any audiophile recommendations for tuning the base stereo? I had had HK on last two 5 series and would have ordered if available (anyone been able to recently add right before production?). I am not an audiophile myself but there are clearly forum members who get this stuff and I would appreciate any recommendations on tuning the base system since I will not be making any mods on a lease. I listen mostly to Sirius and iphone, older stuff like 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s (since I am older stuff having been manufactured way back in the mid 1960s).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Unless you are in some type of extreme use case the brakes will not be changed in 36k. Actually I don't remember seeing anyone with a G05 posting that they changed them yet. I'm over 47k and they are fine. My guess is maybe in the 75k region they will need to be changed.
      06-22-2022, 07:02 AM   #3
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020540 View Post
Putting in an order for an X5 today. Told the passenger side lumbar shows up as being available for the multi-contours. Crossing fingers since this is a deal breaker for me as I want my wife to be comfortable.

Brake package. I took the brake and wiper package on my last lease and I now have 14,000 miles and it was clearly a waste of money. For those who have a decent amount of mileage on their X5 with base brakes is it likely that they will need replacement in 3/36k? For $700 it works if you can use it because BMW pricing on one axle is going to be more than that. But since it is insurance and they do not sell it to lose money I am thinking the average X5 driver probably gets more than 36k from the pads and rotors. I am not a particularly hard driver, mostly suburban crawl and highway.

Any audiophile recommendations for tuning the base stereo? I had had HK on last two 5 series and would have ordered if available (anyone been able to recently add right before production?). I am not an audiophile myself but there are clearly forum members who get this stuff and I would appreciate any recommendations on tuning the base system since I will not be making any mods on a lease. I listen mostly to Sirius and iphone, older stuff like 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s (since I am older stuff having been manufactured way back in the mid 1960s).

Thanks.
Are your talking about massage seats? Or just the standard lumbar 8 way seats?

Both are comfortable IMO. Wife should be happy either way.

I've used the maintenance plan once for brakes and rotors on my 17x5. The cost would've been around $2200 if memory serves. The honest answer is you may need it you may not. It also covers oil changes that run a bit over $100 now per visit in my area. Haven't had the opportunity to use the plan yet on my g05 but I always buy it. Maybe I'm a sucker.

Plenty of members say the hi fi system is sufficient. I personally found the HK's to be slightly underpowered. They left me wanting more. I switched everything out to bavsounds and got that little bit extra I was looking for. As far as tuning the Hi Fi I think there are threads here with that sort of info. A quick search should produce results.

Congrats on the x5, ENJOY!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
Vadersithlord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 57 Vet 19 Audi etron 21 X5 45e

Sounds like what I wanted. Not a picky sound guy. What I found with the Wi-Fi when I turned it up to just past normal I would get distortion. My solution was to upgrade to Bavsound speakers. Cost me roughly the same price as the HK, I paid to have them installed. I am 100% confident I would not have screwed something up, with clips getting panels in and out.I was told my seats were in danger a year ago, no issues. Now I turn it up and nice sound very happy. You will find a lot of people want more out of the system, add amp, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I have the multi contour Merino seating, its the dang best pair of seats I've ever had in a BMW. More ways to adjust them than I can count, including lumbar on both seats. I sat in all the seat styles offered in the X5 and love these seats.
Ask your dealer if there is a way for you to get the HK audio, no harm in asking. Its not at audiophile level but in comparing that to the base system, its worth the upgrade. Plus, if somehow you mange to get it, the upgrade possibilities are greater than the base system but if you cannot get it, you can still have the speakers replaced in the base system if you're not happy with it's sound.
In terms of brakes, I've never had to replace a set of BMW brake pads and/or rotors before 60K miles, heck the stock brakes on my last X3 lasted 80K miles. Depends on how you use them, if you're a left foot brake pedal rider or a last second braker, then you'll wear them out sooner but even at that, I would not think you would need to replace them within a lease timeframe. However, read your lease to see if it requires a certain minimum pad thickness when turning it in.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Unless you are in some type of extreme use case the brakes will not be changed in 36k. Actually I don't remember seeing anyone with a G05 posting that they changed them yet. I'm over 47k and they are fine. My guess is maybe in the 75k region they will need to be changed.
And if you are getting a 45e with regenerative braking your brake pads/rotors should last a good while. At least, that is what I am expecting.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Thanks. Makes sense not to get it for free wipers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #8
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

I just returned from a 5000+ mile road trip and the multi-contours were game changers for us. Virtually no driver fatigue (except from our own company). They are not the massage seats but they do have lumbar support on both sides. We also appreciated the headrest & upper back adjustments, and the side controls. This car was delivered in March.

With my hearing I would not pay top dollar for a sound system. However, we used Amazon Music much of the trip via the phone app and the audio quality was not as good as from other sources -- I think because we had the quality setting too low instead of "best available" to conserve data.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
Are your talking about massage seats? Or just the standard lumbar 8 way seats?

Both are comfortable IMO. Wife should be happy either way.

I've used the maintenance plan once for brakes and rotors on my 17x5. The cost would've been around $2200 if memory serves. The honest answer is you may need it you may not. It also covers oil changes that run a bit over $100 now per visit in my area. Haven't had the opportunity to use the plan yet on my g05 but I always buy it. Maybe I'm a sucker.

Plenty of members say the hi fi system is sufficient. I personally found the HK's to be slightly underpowered. They left me wanting more. I switched everything out to bavsounds and got that little bit extra I was looking for. As far as tuning the Hi Fi I think there are threads here with that sort of info. A quick search should produce results.

Congrats on the x5, ENJOY!!!!
I am looking forward to it. I ordered the multi-contour without massage or ventilation. I prefer as soft as possible. The configurate shows passenger lumbar delete. Since my wife will be the passenger (and one of the reasons I am getting this instead if a sedan) is for her comfort. If it comes in without the passenger lumbar the dealer knows I will not be taking delivery.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
I just returned from a 5000+ mile road trip and the multi-contours were game changers for us. Virtually no driver fatigue (except from our own company). They are not the massage seats but they do have lumbar support on both sides. We also appreciated the headrest & upper back adjustments, and the side controls. This car was delivered in March.

With my hearing I would not pay top dollar for a sound system. However, we used Amazon Music much of the trip via the phone app and the audio quality was not as good as from other sources -- I think because we had the quality setting too low instead of "best available" to conserve data.
Great to hear. I have multi-contours on my 540 and the 535 before that and I have a sensitive back. From the short test drives I have taken the ones in the X5 are certainly as good and maybe a bit more comfortable than then ones in the 5 series. I am praying to the Lumbar Gods that it is delivered with the passenger side installation.
Appreciate 0