F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Knocking Noise after Injector Failure
GetBMWParts

06-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
tpo209
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335Xi M-Sport

Knocking Noise after Injector Failure

Hoping you guys can help diagnose as two different shops have told me two different things. I tried to take a video to catch the noise but it's so low it doesn't come through on my phone. Here's the story, apologies for length but want to get it all out there. Hoping you all can help. Car is 2013 335xi with 85,000miles, and totally stock.

3 weeks ago the car had a CEL when I went to work, was driving fine but as I pull into the parking lot it starts to misfire like crazy, drivetrain malfunction error and I parked it as soon as I could. I knew I needed it towed and tried to start a few times and eventually got it started to put in neutral and up on the tow truck. Repair shop tells me #1 injector failed open and was dumping fuel, also causing the HPFP to fail. They replaced the #1 injector, fuel pump and all 6 plugs. They did not do an oil change. They gave me the car back and it was idling rough, he told me to drive it for a few days and it would get better. It did get better but I started to notice a low knocking noise now at 500 RPM. I took it back to the original shop and they told me the noise was normal (I can't convince myself of that).

I then took it to a shop I know and trust (should've started there) and after hearing it he thinks its a damaged rod bearing from running for 200miles on contaminated oil cause the first shop didn't do the oil change with the repair (I've since had it done)

BUT, the car also has a valvetronic error (133E10 - Valvetronic system: deactivated , adjustment fault too frequent) the keeps popping up (not a CEL but there when I scan OBDII).

Question is, did not changing the oil damage my rod bearings or something similar or is that valvetronic code enough to cause a knock at low RPM. I can't hear the knock for the first minute or so when starting the car, but then it distinctly starts. The car also idles slightly rough. My thought is that a rod bearing would make a consistent noise from the time I start the car?

Last edited by tpo209; 06-28-2022 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The oil should have been changed as a precaution as it's possible the the oil was thinned out too much by the amount of gas which passed through the failed injector.

The Valvetronic issue could be the valvetronic motor going bad and would be unrelated to the oil.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 04:22 PM   #3
tpo209
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335Xi M-Sport

I finally gave in and took it to the dealer...

The knocking noise I was hearing is some valve in the fuel tank, not a big deal, even the dealer told me not to worry about fixing it.

But the valvetronic issue is there and they quoted me $5100 to replace the actuator and shaft. The car has been running fine and I don't know how long the code has been there since I don't have a CEL. Any thoughts how long it'll last like this or do I not have a choice to fix it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpo209 View Post
I finally gave in and took it to the dealer...

The knocking noise I was hearing is some valve in the fuel tank, not a big deal, even the dealer told me not to worry about fixing it.

But the valvetronic issue is there and they quoted me $5100 to replace the actuator and shaft. The car has been running fine and I don't know how long the code has been there since I don't have a CEL. Any thoughts how long it'll last like this or do I not have a choice to fix it now.
The eccentric shaft itself will run you about $1k. It starts to bind and the car will eventually start running poorly.

I'm not surprised that the dealership wants to replace both the motor (it moves the eccentric shaft) and the shaft itself.

You could just do the motor itself especially if you've been consistent with your oil changes.

It's possible to DIY the shaft but from what I've seen it's not easy because the part is under spring tension. I've seen a YT video of one guy doing it without the proper tool.

Search this site to give you an idea of what's going on.

https://bmwtechnician.com/?s=Eccentric+

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0