BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2022, 05:58 AM   #1
DrGabPT45
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sdrive30i

New owner of a CPO 2019 X3 sdrive30i - general question

Hey y'all. I just traded in my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for an X3 and I was curious if the dashboard reading about the mpg is accurate. It says 17 mpg but I've read that it should be around 22-23 mpg. Is this normal? I asked because I noticed the miles counter on the screen drops down fast and in about 3 days of owning it I'm almost close to empty (I dont drive very far from work). I got this from a sewell bmw dealership. Any insight would help thanks!

2019 x3 with 20,080 miles when purchased
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #2
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Congrats on your purchase. Of course a lot depends on how you drive your X3, what mode you are in and the gas octane you are running. Are you mostly doing short around town trips? Also, ensure your tires are at the correct pressures, On my X3 I am averaging 27.5 on my current trip (couple thousand miles of highway, mountains and some city).
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #3
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Of course a lot depends on how you drive your X3, what mode you are in and the gas octane you are running. Are you mostly doing short around town trips? Also, ensure your tires are at the correct pressures, On my X3 I am averaging 27.5 on my current trip (couple thousand miles of highway, mountains and some city).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
I'm new to BMW so I've only been sticking to comfort mode. I'm mostly driving to work about 10 miles and I've only had this car for 4 days. I was just curious if I need to have em check something or what. I also don't know a lot of about cars but I do know that the bmw in my area has excellent service (my mom has an older 2003 x3)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 08:27 AM   #4
OciWan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 m40i

Garage List
2022 X4m40i  [10.00]
Have you reset the drive statistics? Sometimes it might not be showing what mpg you are getting since your last fill up.

If you put a full tank of gas in the car it should automatically reset the stats for Since last fuel up.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciWan View Post
Have you reset the drive statistics? Sometimes it might not be showing what mpg you are getting since your last fill up.

If you put a full tank of gas in the car it should automatically reset the stats for Since last fuel up.
Quote:

I haven't reset anything yet because I'm worried about messing up the settings but if you have any suggestions on what area of the menu to go to then I can try it. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGabPT45 View Post
I haven't reset anything yet because I'm worried about messing up the settings but if you have any suggestions on what area of the menu to go to then I can try it. Thanks for the help
Check from the manual something like on-board computer or etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #7
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman_fin View Post
Quote:
Check from the manual something like on-board computer or etc.
Quote:

Thanks!! Hopefully it works because it's been stuck on 17 mpg and I was just curious if that's common for 2019 x3.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
CINCYFAN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 & G05

Garage List
Obviously it depends on your driving habits (or those of the previous owner and dealership staff) but that sounds very low, especially for a RWD vehicle. My wife and I both drive 2019s and I average ~26 mpg in 50/50 driving and she's does ~24 mpg in 60/40 driving. I might run a tank and manually check the mpg. As others suggested, you can also just reset the trip computer via iDrive.

Good luck!
​​​​​​​
Life is short, drive what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYFAN View Post
Obviously it depends on your driving habits (or those of the previous owner and dealership staff) but that sounds very low, especially for a RWD vehicle. My wife and I both drive 2019s and I average ~26 mpg in 50/50 driving and she's does ~24 mpg in 60/40 driving. I might run a tank and manually check the mpg. As others suggested, you can also just reset the trip computer via iDrive.

Good luck!
Quote:

If after reseting doesn't change anything what are some things I can ask at the dealership if I wanna take it back to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

DrGabPT45 I would try to reset the trip that records the MPG. There is a quick way to reset if you press the “BC” button on the turn signal indicator you will cycle through a few menus (menu near the speedometer and tachometer). Once you get to the MPG one, hold that same “BC” button to reset.

This certainly seems low. I have a 2018 X3 M40i with the 6 cylinder engine and get 17 in stop and go traffic. I normally average 21-23 with mixed driving/longer trips.

Or, top off your tank and keep a manual count of it. This would be the most accurate way. Goodluck!
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 02:28 PM   #11
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
If after reseting doesn't change anything what are some things I can ask at the dealership if I wanna take it back to be checked.
Just reset it first and let see after that. Noidea to assume anything before that.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #12
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwalks2 View Post
DrGabPT45 I would try to reset the trip that records the MPG. There is a quick way to reset if you press the "BC" button on the turn signal indicator you will cycle through a few menus (menu near the speedometer and tachometer). Once you get to the MPG one, hold that same "BC" button to reset.

This certainly seems low. I have a 2018 X3 M40i with the 6 cylinder engine and get 17 in stop and go traffic. I normally average 21-23 with mixed driving/longer trips.

Or, top off your tank and keep a manual count of it. This would be the most accurate way. Goodluck!
Quote:
DrGabPT45 I would try to reset the trip that records the MPG. There is a quick way to reset if you press the "BC" button on the turn signal indicator you will cycle through a few menus (menu near the speedometer and tachometer). Once you get to the MPG one, hold that same "BC" button to reset.

Awesome thank you for this. Yeah I just topped it off yesterday and monitor from there. Sorry it just drives me a little nuts hahah
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 06:27 PM   #13
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman_fin View Post
Quote:
Just reset it first and let see after that. Noidea to assume anything before that.
Quote:

Ok I reset it earlier and will monitor from there and I also filled up the tank. They recommend 91 but there's only 93 in my area in Texas so hopefully that makes some difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 12:09 AM   #14
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Ok I reset it earlier and will monitor from there and I also filled up the tank. They recommend 91 but there's only 93 in my area in Texas so hopefully that makes some difference.
Basically 93 is better than 91
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey y'all. I just traded in my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for an X3 and I was curious if the dashboard reading about the mpg is accurate. It says 17 mpg but I've read that it should be around 22-23 mpg. Is this normal? I asked because I noticed the miles counter on the screen drops down fast and in about 3 days of owning it I'm almost close to empty (I dont drive very far from work). I got this from a sewell bmw dealership. Any insight would help thanks!

Hi , it all depends on how far back the MPG'S were reset by last owner . If it hadn't been reset since then it will be hard to get an accurate reading on your driving behavior . I would say to just reset the MPG from the stalk like above said and go along and drive it the way you drive . My first 2007 X3 had 300 miles on it and was returned to the dealership because the guys wife wanted navigation and it was not equipped. I got a $3000.00 reduction in price because it was now considered used and happily went along. The car wasn't shifting properly, or should I say it was drove differently then my wife wanted it to drive . The dealership reset the transmission and the car then adapted to my wife's driving style. What I'm getting at is if you desire a different shift pattern and you think this my help get better MPG & you may get a better ride , ask the dealership to rest the car for you. It made all the difference in the world for hers ! I hope this helps. Good luck with your new ride.
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #16
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3RD TIMES A CHARM View Post
Quote:

Hi , it all depends on how far back the MPG'S were reset by last owner . If it hadn't been reset since then it will be hard to get an accurate reading on your driving behavior . I would say to just reset the MPG from the stalk like above said and go along and drive it the way you drive . My first 2007 X3 had 300 miles on it and was returned to the dealership because the guys wife wanted navigation and it was not equipped. I got a $3000.00 reduction in price because it was now considered used and happily went along. The car wasn't shifting properly, or should I say it was drove differently then my wife wanted it to drive . The dealership reset the transmission and the car then adapted to my wife's driving style. What I'm getting at is if you desire a different shift pattern and you think this my help you get a better ride , ask the dealership to rest the car for you. It made all the difference in the world for hers ! I hope this helps. Good luck with your new ride.
Quote:
Quote:

Hi , it all depends on how far back the MPG'S were reset by last owner . If it hadn't been reset since then it will be hard to get an accurate reading on your driving behavior . I would say to just reset the MPG from the stalk like above said and go along and drive it the way you drive . My first 2007 X3 had 300 miles on it and was returned to the dealership because the guys wife wanted navigation and it was not equipped. I got a $3000.00 reduction in price because it was now considered used and happily went along. The car wasn't shifting properly, or should I say it was drove differently then my wife wanted it to drive . The dealership reset the transmission and the car then adapted to my wife's driving style. What I'm getting at is if you desire a different shift pattern and you think this my help you get a better ride , ask the dealership to rest the car for you. It made all the difference in the world for hers ! I hope this helps. Good luck with your new ride.
Thank you so much. I did reset it recently and it went up to 23mpg and I guess it just depends how I drive. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #17
dvno
Curbs are dumb
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3 M40i

First off congrats on the new ride!

I'd imagine the previous reading had a lot to do with the way the car was driven by the previous owner. 17 mpg was probably due to stop-and-go traffic combined with heavy foot/braking.
      07-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #18
DrGabPT45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvno View Post

I'd imagine the previous reading had a lot to do with the way the car was driven by the previous owner. 17 mpg was probably due to stop-and-go traffic combined with heavy foot/braking.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvno View Post

That makes sense. I also just filled up the car with 93 and will keep observing from there. The difference in my commute from my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport to the X3 is drastically different it's amazing!!! Thank you so much for your support and help as well. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #19
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Fill up the tank, record the mileage. Drive it an entire tank, then refill it. Divide miles driven by gallons of fuel filled and get the actual MPG that way. Don’t rely on the computer. It’s not 100% accurate.
      07-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #20
Newsie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a CPO 2020 and if your vehicle is like mine, you need to go into vehicle settings and find your trip computer. From there you can choose which setting you want to see -for example: the current trip, the life of the car or even since you purchased the car. It was an AH HA moment for me...
Appreciate 0