BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

12-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Rear Power Outlet DIY: Question about lighting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to the excellent posts on this forum and E90Post I was able to easily install the rear power outlets in my 2009 M3 E90. After completing the install, the two outlets worked, and the temperature control and air volume controls (this is an E90) also worked fine. I did have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

Since I have not sat in the back of the car very much, I wasn't sure whether the controls for the temp and air volume for the rear console are supposed to light up, as they do in the dash and it wasn't something I noticed before I did the installation. I thought of this because there are there are two sets of cables that need to be unplugged from the rear cover to the console - one connects to the top air vents and seems to be designed to control the temp of the air?. The other, which connects to the ash tray would seem to be for a light in the ash tray, but I don't see one there, instead there seems to be a small metal plate that is attached just behind the pop-down ashtray? However, there is nothing in the rear console that is illuminated when the lights are on (neither the red/blue temp controls, nor the ashtray). I doublechecked the connections and they all seemed to be fine). Is that the way it should be, or is there something wrong with my setup?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

I thought I would add a (very low quality) picture to help explain what I mean -- where I've marked it #1, is where I'm asking if these light up on other E90 sedans, and #2 is where behind the ash tray there are two wires terminating in a single plug that goes to a small quadrangular plastic piece that feels like it has some metal in it.

Any response greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I know this thread is over two years old but figured I would answer your question anyway. The rear controls do not light up. i did a search to see if the "happy robot" thing had been done on an M car and it looks like you answered my question. Thanks!
      03-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
I know this thread is over two years old but figured I would answer your question anyway. The rear controls do not light up. i did a search to see if the "happy robot" thing had been done on an M car and it looks like you answered my question. Thanks!
Where does one tap into in order to receive power at the rear outlets?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Appreciate 0