BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
Bhebert449
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Low Freon

2019 X5 M50i. AC was not cooling well so we brought to dealer (under warranty). We were told the Freon was low so they recharged it and added dye in the event it stops cooling again they can see if there are leaks.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a chance it was low from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhebert449 View Post
2019 X5 M50i. AC was not cooling well so we brought to dealer (under warranty). We were told the Freon was low so they recharged it and added dye in the event it stops cooling again they can see if there are leaks.

IF it was low from the factory, and since it is a 2019, someone would have brought it in for service numerous times. It's a sealed system, so obviously it has a leak. Sounds like it was never repaired properly. If all your dealer did was charge the system and added dye, it's still going to leak out.
They were just to lazy to properly diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
Bhebert449
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

IF it was low from the factory, and since it is a 2019, someone would have brought it in for service numerous times. It's a sealed system, so obviously it has a leak. Sounds like it was never repaired properly. If all your dealer did was charge the system and added dye, it's still going to leak out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

Yes I agree it must have a leak. I believe that is why they added the dye so when we bring it back they can see where the leak is coming from. Is there a way it can be diagnosed now without waiting until it stops cooling again?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
Yes I agree it must have a leak. I believe that is why they added the dye so when we bring it back they can see where the leak is coming from. Is there a way it can be diagnosed now without waiting until it stops cooling again?
Now that they've added dye, you can go buy an a/c light and glasses and look for the leak. Napa, AutoZone, Advanced, etc. should sell them.

Edit: to be clear, you may have to give it some time to leak.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 06:31 AM   #5
Pito11213
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i Xdrive

I’m going through this now.
$195 diagnostic fee
$871 to evac and charge the system with due. They know there is a leak, debit say they have to wait until the leak can be seen.

I sent the SA a video showing there may be a leak at the evaporator causing the issue. I’m told they must charge me another $195 diagnostic fee to check the evaporator. We are talking over $1k and no closer to getting a diagnosis. I have a 3rd party super super warranty that’s won’t pay for anything until the leak is found.

BMW says take the car back and let us know when it stops working again. Then I hope for it to be a visible leak, or we start this foolishness again.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 10:16 AM   #6
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito11213 View Post
I’m going through this now.
$195 diagnostic fee
$871 to evac and charge the system with due. They know there is a leak, debit say they have to wait until the leak can be seen.

I sent the SA a video showing there may be a leak at the evaporator causing the issue. I’m told they must charge me another $195 diagnostic fee to check the evaporator. We are talking over $1k and no closer to getting a diagnosis. I have a 3rd party super super warranty that’s won’t pay for anything until the leak is found.

BMW says take the car back and let us know when it stops working again. Then I hope for it to be a visible leak, or we start this foolishness again.
If this is on your 2013 528 this is the wrong forum. If a 2013 and this is the first A/C problem I would go to Walmart and buy a $25 can of R134a, with leakstop, and try charging it myself first.

If it still leaks take it to and independent shop and they will have sniffer to look for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:26 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, we haven’t put Freon into a newer vehicle for a very long time!

If the leak is quite small, it can take a fair amount of time for it to show up, as in some cases, it may only leak when you say go over a bump and something flexes. You really don’t want to pay them for the time to drive the vehicle in that situation. It is sometimes a large enough leak to find fairly quickly, but not always. It sounds like yours is quite small, so driving it may be the best way to isolate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:04 PM   #8
Pito11213
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
If this is on your 2013 528 this is the wrong forum. If a 2013 and this is the first A/C problem I would go to Walmart and buy a $25 can of R134a, with leakstop, and try charging it myself first.

If it still leaks take it to and independent shop and they will have sniffer to look for leaks.
2019 X5
Different refrigerant. I’ve since found the “new” refrigerant style at O’Reillys. It’s about $100-$120 a can.

AC is still cold since the recharge, so waiting until it goes again and will take it back to a dealer at that time. It’s a bit ridiculous though.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 08:02 PM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Are we not able to recharge the system ourselves with this platform? My previous cars I was able to buy the correct refrigerant at auto zone and recharge it myself.
      05-03-2024, 08:09 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Are we not able to recharge the system ourselves with this platform? My previous cars I was able to buy the correct refrigerant at auto zone and recharge it myself.
If you can locate the proper refrigerant, the recharge operation appears to be the same…it’s just it’s harder to locate the refrigerant. Mixing with the incorrect one can lead to all sorts of problems.

It’s my understanding that in the US, they’re supposed to do a leak test first. It’s normal for a vehicle’s refrigerant to slowly leak, but generally takes a number of years before it becomes an issue…the flexible hoses and seals are not perfect, but they hold the stuff in for quite a while before it gets low enough where it needs replenishing.

Stationary systems, like say a refrigerator, can go decades in some situations before enough leaks out to become an issue…a vehicle needs more hoses that can’t be metal.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:02 PM   #11
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you can locate the proper refrigerant, the recharge operation appears to be the same…it’s just it’s harder to locate the refrigerant. Mixing with the incorrect one can lead to all sorts of problems.

It’s my understanding that in the US, they’re supposed to do a leak test first. It’s normal for a vehicle’s refrigerant to slowly leak, but generally takes a number of years before it becomes an issue…the flexible hoses and seals are not perfect, but they hold the stuff in for quite a while before it gets low enough where it needs replenishing.

Stationary systems, like say a refrigerator, can go decades in some situations before enough leaks out to become an issue…a vehicle needs more hoses that can’t be metal.
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT normal for a car to leak refridgerant. If it was the EPA would absolutely shit a brick, they're the reason that the mechanics all have to evacuate the systems and collect the refridgerant.

Does it happen? Yes. But it is not normal or expected behavior, they aren't designed to have an "acceptable leak rate" or anything like that. They're designed to be permanently sealed and never leak... But design intent to reality often don't match, especially when pinching pennies in your manufacturing.
Appreciate 1
davchr88.00
      05-04-2024, 01:55 AM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

You should not lose any refrigerant through the metal parts of the a/c system, but to keep it leak free with moving parts in a vehicle, there are flexible seals and hoses, and those do wear out over time. The rate of loss is quite small, but keep any vehicle long enough, and you may need to recharge the system. For the average customer, it could easily last 10-years or more, but how many people keep their vehicles that long? Live in the desert where the a/c is running full tilt almost every time you go out in the day, and it may not last as long. We’re talking about very slow leaks that usually won’t show up with a leak detector…but, they add up over time. The seals used today are better than years ago, but they still degrade over time, just slower. Unless you crack a line or say the evaporator, it’s a very slow process.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:25 AM   #13
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Live in FL, use AC nearly every day. Maybe a month or two it's heat. Supposedly that's better, keeps the seals lubricated. Could be an old wives tale, dunno.

That said... In my fleet I have an 09 and. 2012, both have AC that works as good as new, never leaked a bit.

The rubber hoses you're worried about are usually lined inside they're not permeable by design. The weak points of most ac systems are the o-rings and cheap welds on evaporators.amd stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:49 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Live in FL, use AC nearly every day. Maybe a month or two it's heat. Supposedly that's better, keeps the seals lubricated. Could be an old wives tale, dunno.
You are doing it correctly and I would say use it 12 months a year. It is generally recommended to always have the AC on. I have mine on all of the time. It will only run of course when needed either due to temperature or humidity in the cabin.
      05-05-2024, 03:13 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

As opposed to most home HVAC system, your vehicle is quite adept at reheat…i.e., cooling to remove moisture, but then reheating the air to make it comfortable. Most people are more comfortable with the humidity level lower than what you often find outside. Personally, don’t like it like 70F out with 100% humidity, but much more comfortable when the humidity level is much lower, and your vehicle can easily do that IF you leave the a/c on.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:39 AM   #16
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
For the average customer, it could easily last 10-years or more, but how many people keep their vehicles that long? Live in the desert where the a/c is running full tilt almost every time you go out in the day, and it may not last as long.
I live in the desert - Tucson, AZ. The Japanese vehicles I have don’t leak refrigerant in 10 or even 15 years.
Appreciate 0