E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cold outside! No Heat inside! :(

12-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Sedan

Cold outside! No Heat inside! :(

So up here in Canada we've got thrown into a cold snap!!

Avg temps here have been about -26 degrees Celsius (-14.8 degree Fahrenheit )!! With "Windchill" temps feel more like -36 degrees Celsius ( -32.8 degree Fahrenheit) !!!!

Now, usually I allow my car to warm up for about 10-15 min b4 leaving for work in the morning. After that, its nice and warm when I'm about to leave.

But because of the really cold temps out, the heat coming from the vents turns cold when I'm driving with higher speeds ( 50km/h+ ). Then the car continues to blow just cold air from the vents which sucks!

Anyone know how to fix this at all on the E90's?

Thanks
Black Vinyl roof|Black Line Tail Lights| Wanna be an ///M
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Stupid suggestion I know...but is the knurled wheel turned at least partially to red?
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt, 94 probe gt

that's crazy cold....sounds like you have to do what 18 wheelers do and block the radiator in severe cold weather. I'd say try to block one or both kidney grills with something easily removable, but also sturdy and fixed when in place. Another idea would be to change thermostats to a different temp so radiator will operate only when temps hit a higher temp than what you have now.

Or you could try turning your heat off sporadically until heater core gets hot enough to provide warm air again. Doubt that will work considering the temps. May sound stupid.......also check to make sure that you have plenty of coolant with no air in your coolant system.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless///M View Post
that's crazy cold....sounds like you have to do what 18 wheelers do and block the radiator in severe cold weather. I'd say try to block one or both kidney grills with something easily removable, but also sturdy and fixed when in place. Another idea would be to change thermostats to a different temp so radiator will operate only when temps hit a higher temp than what you have now.

Or you could try turning your heat off sporadically until heater core gets hot enough to provide warm air again. Doubt that will work considering the temps. May sound stupid.......also check to make sure that you have plenty of coolant with no air in your coolant system.
I don't think it's a design problem with the car's ability to heat the cabin, we have several members living in Alaska who haven't voiced any concerns about any heating problems. Definitely could be something wrong with the OP's particular car though.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I don't think it's a design problem with the car's ability to heat the cabin, we have several members living in Alaska who haven't voiced any concerns about any heating problems. Definitely could be something wrong with the OP's particular car though.

no....I understand, that's why I stated at the end to check to make sure he has plenty of coolant and no air in the system. From what OP stated though; it seems like radiator is overcooling when going over 50 only when in severe colld weather, not allowing coolant to heat up enough to warm cabin.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
bimmerbimmer
M. I. A.
Canada
Rep
Drives: all the girls crazy

to OP,

you mean you usually idle your car for a good 10 to 15 mins to "warm it up" ?

wow... I'm speechless.

Next time, why don't you try just let it idle for a minute or two, start driving, and don't rev the engine, don't go too fast, let the engine warm up by itself, that will be much better for it. (It actually "warm up" faster that way.)

And check the thermostat for the radiator coolant, there might be something wrong with it, (it happened to one of my car long time ago.)

btw, I live in Toronto. (It's cold too.)
      12-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Did you try switching the system to recirculating air so you're warming the air already in the cabin and not the outside air coming in?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
D@m!n!C@no
Why so serious?
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, E30 325is

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ya I have tried tried a shorter warm up time less then 5 min but then the car doesn't get to blow warm air at all!!

How do I check for sue in the RAd? I've heard of this problem b4.

My dad's car warms up way nicer but that must bE cuz he has the 335. U'd like to take it in to the dealer ASAP but they are booking weeks to months from now!! I need to try and fix this now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless///M View Post
no....I understand, that's why I stated at the end to check to make sure he gss plenty of coolant and no air in the system. From what OP stated though; it seems like radiator is overcooling when going over 50 only when in severe colld weather, not allowing coolant to heat up enough to warm cabin.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Three things I can think of and all have been discussed: low coolant, irratic thermostat, and recirculation set to outside airflow. Is the knurled wheel beneath the central vents turned to the right for hot?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Bukabi
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 520d

Sorry to hear!

No such problem in South Africa - 32C (90F) today.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher91 View Post
Ya I have tried tried a shorter warm up time less then 5 min but then the car doesn't get to blow warm air at all!!

How do I check for sue in the RAd? I've heard of this problem b4.

My dad's car warms up way nicer but that must bE cuz he has the 335. U'd like to take it in to the dealer ASAP but they are booking weeks to months from now!! I need to try and fix this now!!

Check that overflow tank has coolant in it; if not, fill with bmw coolant, usually its 50/50, 50% coolant/ 50% distilled water, but you should be good just using coolant as you're only filling overflow. With that weather I'd be afraid to use any water. Fill to top line with bmw coolant when engine is hot. If you are low, the system should take coolant in from overflow when it is needed. Don't overfill though. You also shouldn't be able to squeeze radiator hoses when hot as the system pressurizes when hot. If able to squeeze radiator hoses when hot you may have a leak somewhere. If still under warranty have dealer check your coolant system especially in that freakin weather. I know you said they are booked, they need more dealers up there.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Three things I can think of and all have been discussed: low coolant, irratic thermostat, and recirculation set to outside airflow. Is the knurled wheel beneath the central vents turned to the right for hot?
I think the thermostat is freezing shut (or open) when I drive?? Recirc is set to get air from outside but have tried just recirc on just inside air and it doesn't do any different but cause my windows to fog up.

The wheel in the middle vents is always turned to hot (red).

I'll check the coolant levels too, but I don't think that is the problem. The air does get hot after I stop driving and park for a few minutes or drive in slow moving traffic...

Thanks for the tips guys!!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The air does get hot after I stop driving and park for a few minutes or drive in slow moving traffic...

Thanks for the tips guys!!
That sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. As you are stopped or drive slowly there is less air passing through the radiator but the coolant still does via the water pump. Without air passing the heat isn't taken away and the temperature rises providing hot fluid to pass through the heater block to exchange heat into the inside air. When you speed up there is now air passing through the radiator and it draws the heat away thus lowering the coolant's temperature too much. The auxiliary fan won't play a part in this because it will function only when the temperature rises and there is a need to draw air across the radiator.

A properly functioning thermostat will stay closed until a set temperature and the coolant will get heated inside the engine block. When it opens the hot water is exchanged for the cooler/cold water in the radiator. As the temperature later drops the thermostat will close starting the cycle all over again automatically. Thermostats operate slowly; it's not like they pop open or slam closed.

Hope this helps. It's always a pleasure for me to (try to) help.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

^^ ya that's what I figured either open or shut, I wasn't sure how it worked but I think that is the problem according to the symptoms I have.

Will BMW replace the thermostat so this won't happen then? Or can I do it without voiding the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #16
Mustafa
Drives on the Bavarian Lane
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 e90 335xi

Same severe cold in Montreal What I usually do is drive about 15-20 minutes with heated seats on & heats from vents off - once i see the car get warm (about 15 minutes after driving) i turn on the heaters...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^^ ya that's what I figured either open or shut, I wasn't sure how it worked but I think that is the problem according to the symptoms I have.

Will BMW replace the thermostat so this won't happen then? Or can I do it without voiding the warranty?
You should be able to get the thermostat replaced under warranty but it's no guarantee the problem will not occur again in the future. I don't know where the thermostat is fitted on the BMW. If you had a 225 Slant-Six I could tell you, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Same severe cold in Montreal What I usually do is drive about 15-20 minutes with heated seats on & heats from vents off - once i see the car get warm (about 15 minutes after driving) i turn on the heaters...
Ya but if I'm driving 50+ km/hr for 15min, the air is still cold!!

Made an appointment with the dealer...1 MONTH AWAY

I'll just freeze my ass off till then or hope we have a "Chinook" come in for 1 month...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

UPDATE...

Took the car in for servicing last week. Techs said the thermostat was malfunctioning so they did replace it (so they said they did). Took the car home, nice and toasty ride all the way home but that's probably because they had it sitting in the underground heated parking all afternoon... Took the car to work the next morning, let it warm up for about 5 min b4 I left. The whole 25 min drive to work, freezing air blew out of the vents!!! WTF!!! And that is with 1/2 highway and 1/2 city (traffic) driving!!!! I just about lost it!!!

I wanted to call BMW ASAP and freak out on them but I didn't have time to bring the car back as I was going out of town for the weekend.

Thought I would give it a second try just to see if I was going crazy... had a few errands to run today so warmed up the car this time for about 15 min... go back in ready to go, slightly warm air blowing...not much warmer then outside temp though... drove 5 min away to the bank and shut it off... 5 min in the bank... back to car to drive another 5 min to the Futureshop... 10 min off this time.. drove home and STILL NO hot air from vents?!!?!?!

Called back BMW when I got home... went to voicemail... good thing cuz I was pissed!

Got a call back in about 30min.... GEEZ.... explained the whole situation and they said to bring the car back in tomorrow and they will fix it.... This time they better test it b4 they give it back!!!!!!!!

/rant
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #20
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Not sure if this'll help at all,

but make sure the cold air compressor is turned off. the little snowflake.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #21
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
Not sure if this'll help at all,

but make sure the cold air compressor is turned off. the little snowflake.
Nope...

Why does everyone think I do not know how to use the heater controls in my car?! Even the SA asked the same stupid questions....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Nope...

Why does everyone think I do not know how to use the heater controls in my car?! Even the SA asked the same stupid questions....
GL getting this fixed. I can't imagine how it must feel inside the car with no heat at those freezing temperatures...
Appreciate 0