BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 M4

E90 SEDAN - Side Grill Removal

It's 6AM and I cant sleep, so I went down to garage and decided to black paint my side grills. I could not find any info on removing side grill on the Sedan and the assembly seems to be different between sedan and coupe. So here goes....

The easiest way is to get a flat head screw driver and a towel then carefully jam the flat head in between the black part of the grill and the actual fendar metal, there are notches in the black part of the grill on both ends( front and back), you'll see. Just jam your screw driver in and pop it out carefully from both sides, switching between front and back...

Good Luck!

Can't wait until the stores open, so that I can get my black paint

Sorry about a shitty diagram, but i don't have photoshop on this PC
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
so we are inserting the flat head screw driver in the area displayed by the arrow above? This correct?
      12-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Yes Sir! Then slightly jiggle and push on the handle to get the whole part out.

You should wrap the head of the screw driver w the towel!!!!

Make sure not to jerk the grill out, as it is still connected to the electrical harness.

It is pretty simple to separate the silver part from the black base after you removed the whole unit.

I hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3 View Post
so we are inserting the flat head screw driver in the area displayed by the arrow above? This correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Make sure you get the stupid mask!!! Even if you think you are not inhaling the fumes, you still are.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

The same method as for the coupe also works fine. I just did this last week. Pinch the grill and pull up and out. It will pop out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Pics roban

Also, do the gills appear to be the same part as the coupe versions?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

I bought the ones from Jlevi and they fit fine. I have heard that they are different on the two body styles but I don't think they actually are.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3psycho View Post
The easiest way is to get a flat head screw driver and a towel then carefully jam the flat head in between the black part of the grill and the actual fendar metal, there are notches in the black part of the grill on both ends( front and back), you'll see. Just jam your screw driver in and pop it out carefully from both sides, switching between front and back...
Thanks for the tip, was having a hard time getting the side grilles off but your method worked no probs. Finally got my matte black side grilles installed and it looks great.
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

NICE~ Little things that makes us happy eh? I think my approach is a bit , better, as you can pop the whole section out fairly easy and then flip it and use your fingers to snap out the plastic silver clips out w/out braking them. Where if you try to pinch tweak and pull you will most likely end up w some broken clips...

Glad to do my part and be a test monkey

Here are some pics of my DIY painted sides. I also went ahead and painted the back //M3 logo.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Thanks for the tip, was having a hard time getting the side grilles off but your method worked no probs. Finally got my matte black side grilles installed and it looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 02:18 AM   #10
Rook
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan Jet Black

Garage List
2008 e90 M3  [0.00]
2007 Acura MDX  [0.00]
It is pretty simple to separate the silver part from the black base after you removed the whole unit.

ok so i got them both out thanks to the screwdriver/towel tip thanks. how is is simple to seperat the silver part from the black base after??? ive been trying for several hours now and think i have broke the black honeycomb like casing (unless it is able to split into two pieces horizontally?) please explain with detailed instructions.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Just turn them over and look closely... There is a screw that you need to unscrew. Then there are about 6 clips.. after you squeeze on the clips and push on them.. the parts will separate.. yes.. horizontally, i.e. through out the full length of the part... I mean it should be VERY apparent how to take them apart once the assembly is in your hands ...

Just to make sure is your car 08? Mine is and I am not sure what this part looks like on 09..

Sorry.. No pictures... My part is back...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
NICE~ Little things that makes us happy eh? I think my approach is a bit , better, as you can pop the whole section out fairly easy and then flip it and use your fingers to snap out the plastic silver clips out w/out braking them. Where if you try to pinch tweak and pull you will most likely end up w some broken clips...

Glad to do my part and be a test monkey

Here are some pics of my DIY painted sides. I also went ahead and painted the back //M3 logo.

Enjoy!

looks good
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Good job Max ... it was nice talking to you yesterday ... Car looks sick with those LM's

Black do look better !

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Thanks Bud!!! Spasibo! :-D

So guess what I did when got home after meeting you? I jacked up the car and installed your spacers. Now it looks just right... very aggressive and much better handling as well. The only thing I regret that i went with 275s in the back and not 285s...

S Novim Godom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Good job Max ... it was nice talking to you yesterday ... Car looks sick with those LM's

Black do look better !

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

cool, I am glad you like it ... you should post some pictures ...

S Novim Godom!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #16
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Neither method is working very well (or at all) for me on my e90. Those damn things are in there good
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
mikey19
n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 / White / 6MT

Hi,

im having a hard time also with my E90.
I tried to jam a towel rapped flat head screw driver at the larger end, and tried to pry the grill out, but it will not work!
how do u "jiggle" it??? there is not enough room to jiggle.

Also i cannot find a way to insert a towel rapped flat head screw driver (even a small one) between the metal and the plastic grill. there simply is no enough space. I dont want to force it and damage the paint/car...

how did u guys do it? simply grabbing the damn thing and pull up will not work. it looks like im going to bend the whole front quarter panel!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

Same here. There isn't room for dental floss let alone a screwdriver on my 09' E90. Pinching, lifting, wiggling is a no go as well. Would it have been that hard to write some instructions for these things?
      01-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Quite honestly and not to offend anyone (I will try not to at least :-)) ), if you cannot figure out how to take side grills out... or take them apart when they ARE out... you should not be doing it yourself...

Sorry, but I am new to e9X myself, but was able to take that part out within 10 minutes...

Just take your car to the dealers and ask for their help, I am sure if you nice enough they will help you out for free...

psycho
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

But because I'm in the great mood today... LOL.. I will give you a little hint...

Smaller head flat head screwdriver may be and thinner cloth ??? Donno... Just think ;-)

This is not rocket science.. Now let's talk about those titanium lifters :-D
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
R68
Maverick-y
Rep

The '09 E90 must be different! After your screwdriver method failed, I did go to the dealer. Actually, there is zero room to fit dental floss let alone screwdriver in the locations you specified above. I even tried my ultra slender electronics flat blades which did not even begin to fit. On to the dealer... We checked the install/removal diagrams in the BMW parts system. The BMW removal method is a joke. Stick a credit card (yes, BMW sells plastic cards as tools for situations like these) in between the grill and fender to release the clips, then thread a zip tie through the honeycomb and yank the entire assembly out. If anyone is brave enough to try this method, please prepare to order new grills prior!

Let's just put it this way... It took removing the wheel, wheel well and washer fluid reservoir just to get behind the grill, and this was only the passenger side! Getting the grill out took 4 hands along with brute force! Once the grill is out, removing the chrome piece is an exercise in futility. After all the fuss, I decided to reinstall the OEM setup and leave it alone. It's simply not worth damaging the car or paintwork for such little change in appearance.

Quote:
Quite honestly and not to offend anyone (I will try not to at least :-)) ), if you cannot figure out how to take side grills out... or take them apart when they ARE out... you should not be doing it yourself...

Sorry, but I am new to e9X myself, but was able to take that part out within 10 minutes...

Just take your car to the dealers and ask for their help, I am sure if you nice enough they will help you out for free...

psycho

Last edited by R68; 01-10-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #22
R68
Maverick-y
Rep

The fender is plastic! At least on the '09 sedan...

Quote:
The easiest way is to get a flat head screw driver and a towel then carefully jam the flat head in between the black part of the grill and the actual fendar metal