E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 330i N52 - Occasional Drive Away Jerk

10-20-2022, 01:14 PM   #1
beastaS
Rep
Drives: E92 330i F20 116d ED

E92 330i N52 - Occasional Drive Away Jerk

This morning I drove from my home to London which was a 180-200 mile drive. When I drive from home, everything was hunky dory.
The car has done 152000 miles so the automatic transmission has a slight, occasional jerk going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1. However, I had done a drain and fill 20,000 miles back.

I reached London and left the car parked for a couple of hours. Then, on my drive back from London, I ran into Stop-Go traffic. The engine oil temperature reached 110 deg C (normal hot as 120 deg C is middle of the gauge) and the fan kicked in every now and then.

However, all of a sudden, while driving away from standstill in this traffic, the car was struggling and jerking 2-3 times before finally up-shifting and then driving normal.

It happened twice only when driving off from standstill so I switched to manual mode in transmission. Then, as I drive with higher than normal shifting engine speeds, it was absolutely normal. Then, on the motorway drive back, it ran smooth as butter.

I then reached home and parked the car. After a could of hours, I took the car out again and there were no such problems.

Something is going wrong when the engine is fully warmed up. Anyone got any suggestions on what to look out for?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaS View Post
This morning I drove from my home to London which was a 180-200 mile drive. When I drive from home, everything was hunky dory.
The car has done 152000 miles so the automatic transmission has a slight, occasional jerk going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1. However, I had done a drain and fill 20,000 miles back.

I reached London and left the car parked for a couple of hours. Then, on my drive back from London, I ran into Stop-Go traffic. The engine oil temperature reached 110 deg C (normal hot as 120 deg C is middle of the gauge) and the fan kicked in every now and then.

However, all of a sudden, while driving away from standstill in this traffic, the car was struggling and jerking 2-3 times before finally up-shifting and then driving normal.

It happened twice only when driving off from standstill so I switched to manual mode in transmission. Then, as I drive with higher than normal shifting engine speeds, it was absolutely normal. Then, on the motorway drive back, it ran smooth as butter.

I then reached home and parked the car. After a could of hours, I took the car out again and there were no such problems.

Something is going wrong when the engine is fully warmed up. Anyone got any suggestions on what to look out for?
The drain and fill is a good start. What kind of fluid was used? Do you know if it was refilled properly? I don't know what transmission your market had, but if it's the ZF six speed auto that my 325i has, it has to be filled with the engine running.

If the fluid was changed properly and you're still having these issues, a new pan with integrated filter and new solenoids might fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
nicholas6706
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Mechatronic sleeves and solenoids
Appreciate 0