E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW e90 baby car seat in front??

12-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
lilziby
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport

Lightbulb BMW e90 baby car seat in front??

Lightbulb
Hey guys im new to this site alot of this looks really kewl!!

Im in the process of selling my BMW 320Ci M-Sport Convertible as i have a new born due within the next 3 weeks!! GULP!!
anyway as much as i love me sports convertible its time to say bye bye as i was quick to realise the problems ide face if i had a baby car seat in the back of a coupe (not too easy to take in and out!!)

So ive decided to sell mine and im now buyin a 320d 2006 saloon M-Sport. Ive found the perfect one and it all seems like a good idea....
DIESEL - more economical on fuel
4 DOOR SALOON - more daddy looking lol and easier for baby car seat

Now heres the confusion... what the hell is an isofix?? why cant you just use a normal car seat... face it backwards in the back seat... have the babys mummy next to it lookng after the baby... use the seat belt for safety...
OR IS LIFE AS SIMPLE AS I THINK IT IS??

I mean the new 320d saloon im buying has isofix clips on the front seat... which means if im driving down the motorway and the baby decidesto vomit/throw up, what am i suposd to do seeing as the baby is in the front and mumys sitting in the back? PUT THE CAR ON AUTODRIVE AND GET OUT OF MY SEAT AND CLEAN THE MESS?? i dont think soo!!
So then whats the point of having a baby isofix fitting in the front??

ALSO...
Whats the point of this isofix anyway? the research ive done on them is you clip in the bars which stays there and you clip off and on the car seat. that means you have less car seat with or without the baby? also doesnt that attract theives to your car and braking the window?? i mean these things are expensive dont you think?

Last question is...
As i am a BMW freak, i want to get the BMW car seat too... 0+ one... iv read up on them and they seem really safe although you have the upgrade it in about 6 months depending on babys size. Do any1 have any links/pictures of what the genuine BMW baby car seats look like? different colours? even different types??

apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge on all this buy hey... i had to ask!!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
one.miguel
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
ISOFIX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isofix

Keep the baby in the back (middle if possible). There are latches in the front as there might be times you would need to put the baby in the front (i.e. back is full of stuff or other kids). Laws differ depending where you are. Everything is dependent on the size and age of the baby.

Since the baby is new (congrats!), you'll want a rear-facing baby seat and latch it up as best as you can. The idea is not have the seat so tight that it won't move when an accident occurs and the baby is strapped into the seat and the baby won't move either. You'll want it rear facing since newborns cant withstand holding themselves back with seat belts in case of a forward accident.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

lilziby, one.miguel is absolutely right. The safest place for an infant is in the backseat, in the middle position. In the US, a newborn must be in a rearward facing seat until at least one year of age.

The isofix simply allows you to keep the base of the seat locked in place, so when transporting junior, you simply clip the car seat in and out. takes literally 3 seconds. If you were to install a car seat every single time you drove w/ your newborn, you would have to take 10 minutes to install the damn thing and then 10 minutes to take it out.

This is the beauty of the permanent base.

Congrats on the baby by the way (mines 11 weeks old!) and you'll still be able to seat a person on either side of the base in the backseat (snugly!).
Appreciate 0