E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buying 08 335xi tmrw, need answers QUICK. Thanks!

01-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Mr.E90 21
Rep
Drives: 2008 Acura TL Type S

Buying 08 335xi tmrw, need answers QUICK. Thanks!

Hey guys im currently driving a 2008 Acura TL Type S with 10K on it and im looking to move into a 2008 E90 335xi with 15K on it. The deal might be going down tomorrow so I need some answers QUICK! Just got some general questions... ANY AND ALL ANSWERS ARE WELCOME! Thanks!

1. What are the pros and cons of the 335xi? (I know, very broad lol)
2. I've read mixed reviews on the run flats.. are they really that bad? Can't I just switch them out with regular tires if I want?
3. What should I be expecting for maintenance? I'm coming from a family of Acuras which have never really had any problems at all... should I be expecting some frequent dealership visits? Any major (or minor) problems the 335xi's have that I should know about?

Again all answers are welcome! I GREATLY appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

1.) Pros: Brand, handling, power, usability Cons: Tires, fuel pump, dealership service

2.) My brother has a 2007 328i and he swapped out the run flats for the same size regular tires, and they are much better. More grip, cost less, less bouncy. Yes, you can just buy a set of regular tires for them but remember, you'll have no spare.

3.) The 335's have some fuel pump problems, covered by the warranty, but not really anything else. If you do have any problems just take it in, and BMW should take care of it. Some dealerships have bad service, but ask around the forum and you should be good.

After a few weeks of ownership, you'll be glad you made the switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

1.) Not really aware of any cons - besides the fact it's an all wheel drive car unless you really want that (which I'm guessing you do)

2.) Run Flats are fine. People say the ride is a little rough but I find them fine for daily driving. You can switch them out no problem. I will be switching them out with new wheels/tires once I wear them out a bit more.

3.) What you can really expect is just typical maintenance however there is one big looming issue on the 335's and that's the HPFP (fuel pump). Been seeing these go out less and less however it's still a possibility. Before, you'd have to wait for dealerships to diagnose the problem and then wait for weeks until they got the part but nowadays it's a one day fix as they stock them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

You can almost ignore maintenance on an Acura and then "catch up" at a later date. BMW's that aren't maintained well (probably beyond the included factory maint) become a costly pain.

You can switch out the RFTs. They ride very rough, but there's a benefit to not having to stop for a flat - your choice. They are expensive, though not sure on an xi size. Get the M mobility kit or eq if you go non-rft.

Don't worry about the fuel pump. If it breaks, it breaks. It'll be covered under warranty. Might leave you stranded, but I don't see it as a reason not to buy a 335.

Sounds like you really like the BMW if you're willing to walk on the TL with such low miles. There's nothing else like a BMW for the money.
      01-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Run-flats are great on smooth roads but rough on bad roads. So it depends on the roads you drive. Like others have said, if you don't like them, you can replace them and come up with a solution for a spare. I'm going to replace mine.

According to Consumer Reports, late model 3 series are average to better than average in reliability. AWD models tend to have more problems. Competitive models from Japan tend to be better than average to much better than average.

I've owned 3 BMW's, 2 Benz's and many super reliable Japanese cars. I've concluded that it's worth a few more bucks and a few more trips to the shop to own a BMW. I've had zero problems with my 328i. I consider it a good value.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Mr.E90 21
Rep
Drives: 2008 Acura TL Type S

Oh ok well that's good know to about the tires. I figured they could just be switched out but I wasn't positive.

Something came up today I wasn't able to make it to the dealership, so I have a little more time to do some research. Any more comments?
Appreciate 0