E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > How do you wash your car?

01-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep
Drives: E92

How do you wash your car?

This is my first car in HK, so I don't really know how to wash it with just a bucket of water and a towel. I'm pretty sure that my car will be full of squirls and scuffs if I just wash it with water and a towel.

My mom has a camry and she asks the house maid to wash it, but I WON'T let the house maid to wash my car unless she is skillfully trained to professional level.

Can people here share their washing car methods here?
Which car soap? Which microfiber towel? What else do you use to keep the car clean with minimizing damaging the clear coating of the car?
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep

come on.......anyone?
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Hey Jack, I don't think anyone of us here can share all his/her advice here in just a few lines... a big topic dude!

BTW, when will your car arrive? Get ready to join our meet?
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

do a

There a loads of threads all about cleaning your car.

this is what i do, 12 months down the line my car is swirl free and it looks better than it did when i rolled it out of the dealer.

2 buckets. one with hot water for rinsing. one with hot water with car shampoo in it for washing.

2 microfibre hand mits. one for washing one for drying.

several microfibre cloths.

never put the dirty mit in the clean soapy water. rinse it with a hose pipe then rinse it in the hot water bucket each time.

use a hose to rinse off all the dirt you can etc so you are not moving it around as you clean. a high pressure jet wash would be better.

then just use common sense.

but seriously, do a search, there are loads of threads about cleaning.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
do a

There a loads of threads all about cleaning your car.

but seriously, do a search, there are loads of threads about cleaning.
Well.....I surely know how to search. I live in Hong Kong, and sorry I didnt mention that there is no water hose in the parking lot. NOT AT ALL (except fire hydrant, people will think I'm crazy if I use the fire hydrant to wash my car, and I will be f*%Ked for that). I think I can't even make the floor "too wet", because it will affect other people somehow. I know it's ridiculous, but I got no choice. That's why I would like to ask here for tips. If you can find me a source teaching people how to wash a car w/o damaging the clear coat on line, I will you as you're the god
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_croco View Post
Hey Jack, I don't think anyone of us here can share all his/her advice here in just a few lines... a big topic dude!

BTW, when will your car arrive? Get ready to join our meet?
Ya....I don't think a lot of HK people would volunteer to spend time to type that long teaching others and sharing useful info .

The car is already arrived for a long time since it's an inventory. Now the bmw guys are processing the paperwork of reducing prcie and tax amount with the custom. That's why it takes forever!

Anywayz, I just called the salesman and he told me it should be ready to pick up on next wednesday~ It's killing me for the wait!
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJack View Post
Ya....I don't think a lot of HK people would volunteer to spend time to type that long teaching others and sharing useful info .

The car is already arrived for a long time since it's an inventory. Now the bmw guys are processing the paperwork of reducing prcie and tax amount with the custom. That's why it takes forever!

Anywayz, I just called the salesman and he told me it should be ready to pick up on next wednesday~ It's killing me for the wait!
Good to know that it is now just less than one week! Too bad it cannot be in time for our meet tomorrow.

Anyway, most of us are very willing to share but not having the lux of time to type over here. And that's why we have regular meets to bs all over...

BTW, it is impossible to have your clearcoat untouch, unless you will never move your car. Even when you drive the air resistance will "take some of them away"... If there is a way to wash car without damaging whatsoever the clearcoat, all the wax producer will be closing down. Essence is, under typical cleaning (for sure not by car park cleaners nor domestic helpers), how to maintain and touch up our baby by regular car care, while basic "wear & tear" is an unavoidable fact. This is what worth to share.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
Tigermow
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F30 328i mSport/ POR 993

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=56608&page=32

Try the above link. I posted a Q for the professional detailer to respond on the exact same topic.

To be honest, it is hard to avoid swirl marks esp if you have a black car like mine. But you can ease the "pain" if you look after it properly.

It is common sense afterall and everyone have their own ideas as to how to wash their prized assets. For me though, if you have not got a hose, then 2 buckets are definitely required, one for rinsing and the other for soaking up water. Using micro-fibre cloths to dry off is a must, these cloths are gentle on your paint but please use light pressure to dry off and no circular motion.

However, you do need a good coat of wax. Forget the ones you get at car parks, you need to wax the car properly yourself and then you will find that you can keep the swirl marks to a minimum (I use Zymol which I ordered online). But I must say, keeping your car in pristine condition is extremely difficult in HK.

Cheers!

Lou
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep

I bought these yesterday
Attached Images

and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Minichamps
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Delivered June 27 '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigermow View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=56608&page=32

Try the above link. I posted a Q for the professional detailer to respond on the exact same topic.

To be honest, it is hard to avoid swirl marks esp if you have a black car like mine. But you can ease the "pain" if you look after it properly.

It is common sense afterall and everyone have their own ideas as to how to wash their prized assets. For me though, if you have not got a hose, then 2 buckets are definitely required, one for rinsing and the other for soaking up water. Using micro-fibre cloths to dry off is a must, these cloths are gentle on your paint but please use light pressure to dry off and no circular motion.

However, you do need a good coat of wax. Forget the ones you get at car parks, you need to wax the car properly yourself and then you will find that you can keep the swirl marks to a minimum (I use Zymol which I ordered online). But I must say, keeping your car in pristine condition is extremely difficult in HK.

Cheers!

Lou
Hey brother you are a Zymol believer too.
This is waxed by Zymol Vintage.

01-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichamps View Post
Hey brother you are a Zymol believer too.
This is waxed by Zymol Vintage.

Minichamps, real good!!! How long you exercised? ;-)

You applied also wax to your license plate to swirled the numbers?
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Tigermow
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F30 328i mSport/ POR 993

Minichamps,

Look real good. Will try to post some pics once I have more time on my hands. I use Glasur Glaze since I use this for my other car. I am thinking of getting the Ebony Wax since my E90 is jet black. Q: do you get your zymol in HK or order online?

Cheers!

Lou
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Minichamps
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Delivered June 27 '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigermow View Post
Minichamps,

Look real good. Will try to post some pics once I have more time on my hands. I use Glasur Glaze since I use this for my other car. I am thinking of getting the Ebony Wax since my E90 is jet black. Q: do you get your zymol in HK or order online?

Cheers!

Lou

PMed