bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-26-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I have a 2023 M240i with about 600 miles on the clock. Decided to check the coolant levels just for the heck of it and noticed it’s filled considerably beyond the max indicator in both reservoirs.

Anyone else have overfilled coolant? Maybe BMW is anticipating some of it will disappear
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 02:33 AM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

hot or cold engine? when the engine is hot, the coolant levels will be higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

It was cold, about 60 degrees F after not running for 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
BigRon033
Technician
Rep
Drives: '93 RX-7, '12 135i, '22 M240i

BMW's been overfilling the cooling systems at the factory for at least the last year or so. We've seen a lot of cars with coolant level warnings before the first oil service due to absorption of coolant into the new rubber hoses and gaskets (or at least that's BMW's explanation). I'm sure this is just their solution to prevent service visits like that.

It's not gonna hurt anything. I'd just leave it alone.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRon033 View Post
BMW's been overfilling the cooling systems at the factory for at least the last year or so. We've seen a lot of cars with coolant level warnings before the first oil service due to absorption of coolant into the new rubber hoses and gaskets (or at least that's BMW's explanation). I'm sure this is just their solution to prevent service visits like that.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:18 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRon033 View Post

That explanation from BMW is on par with what I was told when I had my 2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack in at a Dodge dealer for an oil/filter service. I checked the oil level. It was high. I asked the service advlsor about this. (The owners manual is quite emphatic about not overfilling the engine with oil.) He told me I was checking the oil level wrong. One should not push the dipstick all the way into the tube but stop when resistance is felt.

While this technique does have the level "right" it is utter BS. I happen to know -- learned when I owned a Hellcat prior to the Scat Pack -- Dodge for some reason upped the amount of oil these engines (6.4l in the Scat Pack, 6.2l in the Hellcat) take from 6 quarts to 7 quarts. 'course, apparently Dodge had a boat load of dipsticks/tube all calibrated for 6 quarts of oil.

I found a Dodge part number for a new dipstick and matching dipstick tube for the Hellcat engine that would show the level right with 7 quarts of oil in the engine. I ordered the dipstick but the tube was on back ordered. It so happened I decided to get rid of the Hellcat and I never installed the new dipstick and the (never ordered) dipstick tube.

Might mention shortly after this last service visit for my Scat Pack I traded the car in for a new (on the dealer's lot one day before I bought it) 2022 BMW 230i.
Appreciate 0