E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Filter Came Loose, please help

01-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
e90forme
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oil Filter Came Loose, please help

I noticed a lot of oil leaked from under my car. I checked the oil drain plug, but it was tight. Later I noticed that the oil filter cap was not totally screwed tight. Oil spewed all over the engine compartment. Are there any adverse effects with oil in the engine? Besides seeing a low engine oil level indicator, the red battery warning light also came on. But after a while, the battery warning appears to be gone. Should I clean the engine? What is the best method? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The battery light probably came on because oil got on the belts and the belt started slipping causing the alternator not to turn fast enough and produce low voltage which will turn on the light.

I would give it a good engine shampoo with some engine wash or simple green - something to degrease and wash away all the oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

I would take it back to the place that did your last oil service and have them take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
e90forme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
I would take it back to the place that did your last oil service and have them take care of it.
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I was the one who did the oil change...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
e90forme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The battery light probably came on because oil got on the belts and the belt started slipping causing the alternator not to turn fast enough and produce low voltage which will turn on the light.

I would give it a good engine shampoo with some engine wash or simple green - something to degrease and wash away all the oil.
Thanks for your feedback. So I hope my issue is just temporary and cosmetic in nature? There should be no damage or corrosion to the electricals? I will probably call someone to do an engine steam clean for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

You might actually prevent some corrosion by getting oil all over the place.

Although certain oils can eat rubber, not sure if your typical motor oil is in that category.

-scheherazade

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90forme View Post
I will probably call someone to do an engine steam clean for me.
This is seriously dangerous. You can get water up into some electrical systems and cause yourself some very costly problems. I had an engine fail twice from a single steam clean. Shorted out twice.

Never let anyone just spray steam/water all over your engine bay. If anything, use an alcohol soaked rag and wipe down anything you want looking clean. Use a spray bottle with alcohol and manually spray it over oiled areas that you know are safely away from any electrical systems, or just won't be adversely affected by water/alcohol.
And never use a pressure washer, unless again, you know it's safely away from anything that can't take water.

Your engine bay isn't usually exposed to a deluge of water/steam. The hood keeps everything nice and dry, and not much rain gets past the radiator.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
e90forme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
You might actually prevent some corrosion by getting oil all over the place.

Although certain oils can eat rubber, not sure if your typical motor oil is in that category.

-scheherazade

edit :

This is seriously dangerous. You can get water up into some electrical systems and cause yourself some very costly problems. I had an engine fail twice from a single steam clean. Shorted out twice.

Never let anyone just spray steam/water all over your engine bay. If anything, use an alcohol soaked rag and wipe down anything you want looking clean. Use a spray bottle with alcohol and manually spray it over oiled areas that you know are safely away from any electrical systems, or just won't be adversely affected by water/alcohol.
And never use a pressure washer, unless again, you know it's safely away from anything that can't take water.

Your engine bay isn't usually exposed to a deluge of water/steam. The hood keeps everything nice and dry, and not much rain gets past the radiator.

-scheherazade

Thanks. So I am better off just leaving the engine as it is?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

yeah +1 for leaving things alone (other than tightening the filter housing cap). If things are running ok now there is no need to be alarmed.

On a somewhat related topic. My friend used good old regular motor oil and a brush to cover the bottom of the car with a thin coat. He claims that helped him prevent corrosion.
      01-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
e90forme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
yeah +1 for leaving things alone (other than tightening the filter housing cap). If things are running ok now there is no need to be alarmed.

On a somewhat related topic. My friend used good old regular motor oil and a brush to cover the bottom of the car with a thin coat. He claims that helped him prevent corrosion.
That is good to know, thanks. I tightened the filter, added some oil and ran the car hard later on. Everything seems okay. I do smell burnt oil though.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90forme View Post
That is good to know, thanks. I tightened the filter, added some oil and ran the car hard later on. Everything seems okay. I do smell burnt oil though.
The burnt oil smell will go away in a while, it's temporary.

Keep an eye out on your oil level in the mean time, since normally that smell would alert you to an oil leak. But while its smelling like that normally, you won't know.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0