E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Need a crashcourse on powerpoint!

01-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Donster
McShnizzle Meister
Rep
Drives: E320 CDi+A4(Remap),BMW (Soon!)

Need a crashcourse on powerpoint!

I have to compile a presentaion by the end of today and i'll be honest i have never used powerpoint.

Anyone recommend a website or anything?

Subject matter is "What do you see the key risks and opportunities facing the central heating repair and maintenance division within the gas services industry"
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

um, the built in designs would be a good place to start. some general tips on making good slides:

1. always make sure your information flows from slide to slide. you dont want to have any slides disconnected from one another, because then your presentation becomes choppy.

2. try to keep your points to a minimum for each slide (rule of thumb is 3 point are good) and always try to follow any data you give with a chart or graph to emphasize the point.

3. if it is a professional presentation (which it sounds like) be careful and dont use too many animations for the presentation. a few might help, but too many and it will look childish (i guess you have to use your judgement on this one). professional presenations typically dont have any animations, but i always think 1-2 or so total will help punch up some slides

4. dont go overboard with the pictures. use ones that make a point, or illustrate something useful. dont put them in for the same of taking up space, however, always try to fill a slide with as much useful info as possible.

if you are using office 2007, powerpoint is more more difficult to get used to, since they reorganized everything in tabs as opposed to drop down menus. there are more tutorials out there for older versions of ppt, such as 2003, 2000, etc.

good luck with your presentation!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Try this:

http://www.pptfaq.com/index.html

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Above, plus - don't be tempted to put too much detail on each slide. YOU need to do the presentation, not the slide. So, you almost need to make the slides unclear, so you can talk about the points on the slide, if that makes any sense.

Try and anticipate the audience's questions, so the next slide has the answers...

Main one - PRACTICE, and I mean practice your presentation. Do it outloud to yourself. It gives you confidence and you will come across better.
      01-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Also, good example of why Steve Jobs presentations are so much better than Bill Gates...

http://presentationzen.blogs.com/pre...n_estheti.html

Appreciate 0