BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-11-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
Gadgetluva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

45e Preconditioning - Minimim battery charge level needed?

Hi All,

I haven’t been able to find an answer to this, and I can’t test out my use case now since it’s winter but -

What is the minimum battery needed to precondition the vehicle to run AC in the warmer months? I’m planning a road trip to SoCal in the next month or so, and will want to use preconditioning so that my dogs are OK when I leave them for ~10-15 minutes when I inevitably have to go into a store to pickup supplies or pickup food from a restaurant and so on. I likely won’t be able to charge regularly while on this trip, but will sacrifice fuel economy in order to maintain minimum battery level. I assume 30% is sufficient, but can use battery hold to keep it at any percentage necessary. For obvious reasons, I would like to maintain battery at the most beneficial levels to balance preconditioning capability and fuel economy.

For those concerned about the safety of the dogs - I’m planning to get an internet capable thermometer as well as using a camera with a live feed + audio (I already use this regularly) anytime I step away. Car also has full ceramic tint all around to further reduce potential heat in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 10:18 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I'd use the battery hold function...the lowest that can be set is 30%, which, I know from experience, works for that. Note, it only runs for 30-minutes, then stops. You can restart it from the app if you remember.
Appreciate 0