E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > key fob trouble shooting

01-20-2023, 03:17 AM   #1
Thaizen
Rep
Drives: 2012 38i coupe (soon)

key fob trouble shooting

Where do I begin with key fob problems?

Manual key in the drivers side handle works and it beeps. Car starts and runs with fob inserted.

Pressing the button on the dash unlocks or locks both doors so I don’t think it’s the actuators.

None of the buttons on the fob works. Just stopped working the other day.

Had a low key fob battery symbol on the dash about a month ago but it went away after a long drive.

2012 328i e92, 60,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #2
Dennyyv
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Sounds like the battery in the key crapped out. I could be wrong, but its happened to me before.
there is a way to change it on the keys that don't have serviceable batteries (non comfort access) but it really is a hack job, involves splitting the case open with a razor (not the hard part), ordering a special battery from ebay or something and soldering the new one in. and then crazy gluing the case back together. sounds ghetto but gets the job done. till you get a new one