BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2023, 10:06 PM   #1
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Bimmertech Amp + Bavsound Speaker Challenges

Like many G05 owners, my 45e was built when the HK option wasn't available.

So I upgraded the 45e with Bavsound speakers. It was underwhelming and I do not recommend it.

Two weeks ago I bought the Bimmertech Amp and just installed it. It makes a huge difference and frankly is money better spent than the Bavsound speakers except...

The Bimmertech Amp does not have an official "tune" for the Bavsound speakers. Bimmertech does have a few unofficial tunes from customers that they allow you to use. That is if you own a Windows laptop.

The Bimmertech amp is really a DSP with amp behind it. If you love DSP, you will be in pig heaven. If you are not a DSP fan (like me), you have to live with it.

I am also SOL since I am all Apple. Wish they had an App or another way to tune the amp. Mine came by default setup for the X5 base "Hifi Audio". That tune is not great with the Bavsound speakers.

Bimmertech support has been good as long as you don't mind messing around with the USB cable and trying different tunes.

Not sure how much I want to mess around with this or if I give up on the BimmerTech. It was expensive and I expected it to be a bit more plug and play. I also hoped it sounded smoother, so far it has a strong class D signature to it.

I know not everyone agrees with my thoughts. My experience would have been different if I had the stock BMW speakers still in my X5.
Appreciate 1
sbc-yyc86.50
      02-21-2023, 12:02 AM   #2
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

Thanks for your feedback. I've been wondering about the audio upgrade situation for my 2021 X5 with the HK system. It's alright, but absolutely unworthy of being installed in a vehicle as expensive as the X5. The B&O 3D system in our 2018 Q5 sounds a million times better, and that's a vehicle worth half as much. As far as I can tell, Bimmertech doesn't seem to recommend the amp for X5s with the HK system. Just the speakers. I'd like to start by upgrading the woofers under the seat, to get punchier bass. Then, maybe the front and center speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 05:50 PM   #3
JMThompson
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5, 2014 BMW M6

On my recently purchased 2022 X5, it came with just the standard hi-fi stereo. Pretty basic and paper cone speakers! I installed myself, the entire Bimmertech amp, speakers and subs. Couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. Install was fairly easy, although bimmertechs videos or install instructions do not spell out the entire process. Love the new sound as it beats the original audio to death. Even have had to turn down the bass as it deeply pounds too low for me on some music. After I finally got the tweeters wired up correctly, the highs sound pretty amazing. Expensive, yes, but bimmertech did have a sale on all this during the Christmas season and with me doing all the work myself, I think it was well worth it.
Appreciate 0