BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Raspy / Trumpet Sound @ High RPM

02-24-2023, 10:46 PM   #1
Lyfe.In.A.M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2, 2021 GR Supra

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
M2 Raspy / Trumpet Sound @ High RPM

Just a double check and see if I'm crazy or this is just normal. One year into ownership on my 2018 m2 base and I've been curious ever since I installed a VRSF downpipe, I'm getting a sort of raspy / trumpet sound when above 4k rpm. Sorry to bother with a dumb question like this. If it is normal I was also wondering if adding a resonator would tone down the raspy sound. I don't mind the drone or any other sounds of the car just was always curious with this kind of sound. Running BM3 stage 2, M Performance Exhaust, and VRSF Catless Downpipe. Thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Wt3XdCZnu6c
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #2
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyfe.In.A.M2 View Post
Just a double check and see if I'm crazy or this is just normal. One year into ownership on my 2018 m2 base and I've been curious ever since I installed a VRSF downpipe, I'm getting a sort of raspy / trumpet sound when above 4k rpm. Sorry to bother with a dumb question like this. If it is normal I was also wondering if adding a resonator would tone down the raspy sound. I don't mind the drone or any other sounds of the car just was always curious with this kind of sound. Running BM3 stage 2, M Performance Exhaust, and VRSF Catless Downpipe. Thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Wt3XdCZnu6c
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I recently put on a new Supersprint mid-pipe (res and second cat delete), and it sounds like a trumpet whenever I do upshifting around 2500+ rpms, it's super embarrassing. I think the resonator will eliminate the rasp/trumpet noise a lot and will give your exhaust a deeper tone, already purchased a new mid-pipe (still Supersprint, but with the resonator), will see how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 10:06 PM   #3
Lyfe.In.A.M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2, 2021 GR Supra

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marticztn View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I recently put on a new Supersprint mid-pipe (res and second cat delete), and it sounds like a trumpet whenever I do upshifting around 2500+ rpms, it's super embarrassing. I think the resonator will eliminate the rasp/trumpet noise a lot and will give your exhaust a deeper tone, already purchased a new mid-pipe (still Supersprint, but with the resonator), will see how it sounds.
No problem with replying to an oldish thread. The rasp or trumpet sound with catless N55s and N54s are just a thing. There's not really anything you can do to fix it other than converting to a full titanium system which I did and it stopped it completely. I wouldn't bother buying another midpipe that isn't titanium.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

was straight thru prior to my new exhaust..the resonator def tones it down a lot..
Appreciate 0