BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2023, 10:22 AM   #1
jcardenasmzl
Private
Rep
Drives: VW GTI '12

X3 2020

Greetings,

I'm torn between two 2020 X3s mostly because of the miles, wanted to hear the opinions as I plan to have the car for at least 4-5 years.

-2020 X3 sdrive 30i (around 34k) 18k miles CPO, convenience and m package.
-2020 X3 M40i (around 39k) 44k miles, premium and driver assistance packages.

The price difference for me is not that significant however the mile difference could be a deal breaker. Of course I would like the m40 coming from an m2 however since it has double the miles I don't want it to become a hassle down the line in terms of repairs.

Appreciate any help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Please verify or ask for the service record. If you didn't find any log or evidence that scheduled services were done, keep looking for other X3 M40.

But if you really like what you see, no hint of abuse or anything mechanically broken but only concerned about the mileage, pad in some $$ and get extended warranty.

EDIT: I just noticed only the 30i is CPO. The CPO costs between 1k -1.5k to the dealer so you can expect it already built into the price. Thus, the 30i Non-CPO price should be around 32k+. Personally, if the car is non-CPO but it looks good to me, I'd still get it and then use that extra cash towards purchasing extended warranty.

Last edited by g11hoonigan; 03-06-2023 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
smw89
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardenasmzl View Post
Greetings,

I'm torn between two 2020 X3s mostly because of the miles, wanted to hear the opinions as I plan to have the car for at least 4-5 years.

-2020 X3 sdrive 30i (around 34k) 18k miles CPO, convenience and m package.
-2020 X3 M40i (around 39k) 44k miles, premium and driver assistance packages.

The price difference for me is not that significant however the mile difference could be a deal breaker. Of course I would like the m40 coming from an m2 however since it has double the miles I don't want it to become a hassle down the line in terms of repairs.

Appreciate any help in advance.
Can you get a pre-puchase inspection done or is this a trust-the-dealer kind of thing? Hard to beat the peace of mind that comes with a CPO car but I have a feeling that you will not enjoy the driving experience in 4-5 years going from an M2 to a standard X3, so if the M40i is in good shape and has a healthy ownership history I would 100% go with that one.

Full disclosure, I'm a new BMW owner and I bought my 2020 sDrive after trading in a Jeep Wrangler. I was basically driving a vehicle with the dynamics of a washing machine and I still find that sometimes I want more thrill in the sDrive so I can't imagine how it would feel to step DOWN in dynamics like you would be doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
gphin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive30i, 2021 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw89 View Post
Can you get a pre-puchase inspection done or is this a trust-the-dealer kind of thing? Hard to beat the peace of mind that comes with a CPO car but I have a feeling that you will not enjoy the driving experience in 4-5 years going from an M2 to a standard X3, so if the M40i is in good shape and has a healthy ownership history I would 100% go with that one.

Full disclosure, I'm a new BMW owner and I bought my 2020 sDrive after trading in a Jeep Wrangler. I was basically driving a vehicle with the dynamics of a washing machine and I still find that sometimes I want more thrill in the sDrive so I can't imagine how it would feel to step DOWN in dynamics like you would be doing.
I felt the same after about a year with my '19 x30 and after a few weeks of research decided to buy/install a Racechip. Adds about 50hp and transforms the vehicle, especially in Sport mode. Well worth the less than $400.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:14 PM   #5
smw89
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 sDrive30i

Good to know, I’ll add this to my mod wishlist!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:49 PM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

That mileage difference is not that great IMO.
Yea sure it's double right now today, but totally depends on how many miles you drive a year.
m40i is worth the few extra dollars, and general maintenance won't be significantly different. sure m40i brakes cost more, but its not like 30i brakes are "cheap" ..m40i may eat tires a little faster, but all BMWs eat tires, especially in the rear.

Get the car that has the options you want and don't worry about the mileage is my $.02
I would get the m40i because it is a vastly superior engine and driving experience, but, I am also biased as I own an m40i. I personally would never spend my hard earned money on 30i model as i think there are better options for that type of vehicle for the money.
smw8918.00
      03-08-2023, 06:56 AM   #7
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I personally would never spend my hard earned money on 30i model as i think there are better options for that type of vehicle for the money.
Although I've already made my choice, I'm curious what these other options would be. Could you please elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 08:35 AM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Although I've already made my choice, I'm curious what these other options would be. Could you please elaborate?
I would buy a Ford Explorer ST with better options, a better engine, roomier, and a cheaper price. Sure, it might not have the 'BMW badge', but I am not a badge chaser and don't own my BMWs due to the badge - I own them for their driving experience and enjoyment, not to impress my neighbors.
However BMW and Merc have some the vast majority of their cars due to status, not due to options which is fine and nothing wrong with that. They are marketed as a luxury brand in the US, and people in the US love their 'luxuries' ... as evident by 7 year car loans that and continuous upside-down and trading in.

I would also consider a Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.
I personally don't like Lexus as they drive like boats, but they are even some better options in that lineup that are more luxury and better ride which everyone on here seems to complain about with the BMWs
A Kia Telluride is perhaps a better people-mover option than a 30i... bigger, more options, and drives just fine. Might not be as 'cool' as a BMW though.
I think the Mazda CX lineup drives well and are really undervalued car... but not 'cool' like a BMW.
Acura, Honda, Toyota also make some great options... but you know, not 'cool' like a BMW

People buy cars for many reasons... BMW owners are generally of 2 camps - Badge chases because of the perceived 'status' that comes with owning a BMW, or people that are enthusiast who want a BMW driving experience and what performance they offer.
Most people don't care about the car they drive other than the badge and the exterior color... they just need a people mover, and i just think there are better people mover options than a 30i.
The 30i is a fine vehicle and not knocking people that own them - they are good cars, but i personally would just never buy one as I see no need to have a people mover like a 30i vs some of the competition for similar price that you might get better day-to-day options, a larger vehicle, or different capabilities such as towing, off-road, or performance.

The soccer mom who that wants to look cool in the school pickup lane that 'has' to have a BMW.... well that is fine, and not knocking those people as Merc, Audi, BMW all have those customers and is a vast majority of their sales. I just buy vehicles for a different reason.
I would never spend my money on a 30i as I personally see no value in them. I don't like the way they drive as they seemed very underpowered.
To each his own. I respect everyone's choices they made with their vehicles and as long as it makes YOU happy, that is all that matters.
Enjoy whichever choice you made as either is a perfectly fine option.

People, including myself, by things all the time because we 'like' them. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 03-08-2023 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
EWL5905.50
      03-08-2023, 09:11 AM   #9
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I would buy a Ford Explorer ST with better options, a better engine, roomier, and a cheaper price. Sure, it might not have the 'BMW badge', but I am not a badge chaser and don't own my BMWs due to the badge - I own them for their driving experience and enjoyment, not to impress my neighbors.
However BMW and Merc have some the vast majority of their cars due to status, not due to options which is fine and nothing wrong with that. They are marketed as a luxury brand in the US, and people in the US love their 'luxuries' ... as evident by 7 year car loans that and continuous upside-down and trading in.

I would also consider a Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.
I personally don't like Lexus as they drive like boats, but they are even some better options in that lineup that are more luxury and better ride which everyone on here seems to complain about with the BMWs
A Kia Telluride is perhaps a better people-mover option than a 30i... bigger, more options, and drives just fine. Might not be as 'cool' as a BMW though.
I think the Mazda CX lineup drives well and are really undervalued car... but not 'cool' like a BMW.
Acura, Honda, Toyota also make some great options... but you know, not 'cool' like a BMW

People buy cars for many reasons... BMW owners are generally of 2 camps - Badge chases because of the perceived 'status' that comes with owning a BMW, or people that are enthusiast who want a BMW driving experience and what performance they offer.
Most people don't care about the car they drive other than the badge and the exterior color... they just need a people mover, and i just think there are better people mover options than a 30i.
The 30i is a fine vehicle and not knocking people that own them - they are good cars, but i personally would just never buy one as I see no need to have a people mover like a 30i vs some of the competition for similar price that you might get better day-to-day options, a larger vehicle, or different capabilities such as towing, off-road, or performance.

The soccer mom who that wants to look cool in the school pickup lane that 'has' to have a BMW.... well that is fine, and not knocking those people as Merc, Audi, BMW all have those customers and is a vast majority of their sales. I just buy vehicles for a different reason.
I would never spend my money on a 30i as I personally see no value in them. I don't like the way they drive as they seemed very underpowered.
To each his own. I respect everyone's choices they made with their vehicles and as long as it makes YOU happy, that is all that matters.
Enjoy whichever choice you made as either is a perfectly fine option.

People, including myself, by things all the time because we 'like' them. Nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate your thoughts! I've never owned American so Ford, Jeep, etc. never entered consideration (only had Japanese and German). I don't need the size of the Telluride/Palisade but a fully loaded version of either can be had for what I paid for my 30i. A Mazda CX50 was considered but ultimately felt "cheap" and I've had bad luck getting cars in the first model year of a new generation.

American cars had a bad reputation when I was growing up but they're probably much better now. I need to get over that hump to expand my horizons. Any thoughts on Cadillac?
Appreciate 0