BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Tesla Is on Its Way to Being America's Luxury King Again... wait what??

03-15-2023, 10:23 PM   #1
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Angry Tesla Is on Its Way to Being America's Luxury King Again... wait what??

Clearly the government bureaucrats have not sat in a Tesla, other than the fancy Ipad like screen everything else is "plasticy" like a Nissan Sentra or Hyundai Elantra. How they can classify Tesla as a luxury vehicle is beyond me. They clearly have not sat in one....

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-on-its...ain-1850229720

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-bmw-...er-january-us/

https://www.autonews.com/sales/tesla...s-luxury-crown
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 1
Tyriondo127.00
      03-15-2023, 11:38 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

There is something about Tesla that deceives most people for whatever reason as if it’s a true luxury vehicle. It took me a full week convincing my wife to get the X5 instead of a Tesla Model Y or X as we were in the process of selling her X7 few weeks ago. She’s happy with her X5 now, but she still thinks Tesla Y or X is more luxury. I think most people don’t differentiate between true luxury that german cars offer that benefits mostly the driver, versus the prestige of Tesla vehicles that offers really nothing to the driver rather then public image.

I myself like the idea of self driving in Tesla, and like the way they look, but I don’t see myself losing all the packages and options I have on any of my german cars for a Tesla that barely has 10% of these options, yet packaged in a recycled poor plastic interior!!!

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-15-2023 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
NGT25607.00
      03-15-2023, 11:41 PM   #3
G07G12
Rep
Drives: X7&750

I went to see the Model S…. I would never buy that thing…. It’s all marketing! If you know what luxury vehicle is, then you know Tesla ain’t one of them!!
Appreciate 1
Tyriondo127.00
      03-16-2023, 02:03 AM   #4
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesoM View Post
How they can classify Tesla as a luxury vehicle is beyond me. They clearly have not sat in one....
Exactly. Don't waste your time or mental energy thinking about these clowns, or the clickbait media headlines.
Appreciate 2
awesoM306.50
NOVA99162.50
      03-16-2023, 06:17 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Pushing the “idea” of Tesla is a political/social movement. It’s pathetically transparent.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2023, 07:13 AM   #6
ntailor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
There is something about Tesla that deceives most people for whatever reason as if it’s a true luxury vehicle. It took me a full week convincing my wife to get the X5 instead of a Tesla Model Y or X as we were in the process of selling her X7 few weeks ago. She’s happy with her X5 now, but she still thinks Tesla Y or X is more luxury. I think most people don’t differentiate between true luxury that german cars offer that benefits mostly the driver, versus the prestige of Tesla vehicles that offers really nothing to the driver rather then public image.

I myself like the idea of self driving in Tesla, and like the way they look, but I don’t see myself losing all the packages and options I have on any of my german cars for a Tesla that barely has 10% of these options, yet packaged in a recycled poor plastic interior!!!
A friend of mine bought the Y, thought it was great, luxury, and all. His dad picked up a used Maybach. He realized the Tesla was a POS in terms of quality - leather is crap, seats suck, his dash would bend in, loose trim, mouldings, etc.. His Y is up for sale now.

My opinion is most Tesla buyers have not owned or stepped into the actual luxury car segment so they simply do not know better.
Appreciate 2
NOVA99162.50
NGT25607.00
      03-16-2023, 09:51 AM   #7
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
The only reason Tesla's are included in the luxury category is due to price. Though these days I would say $40-50k starting price of a 3/Y is no longer a lux car price.
Appreciate 4
NOVA99162.50
NGT25607.00
TXSchnee1315.00
      03-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The only reason Tesla's are included in the luxury category is due to price. Though these days I would say $40-50k starting price of a 3/Y is no longer a lux car price.
I was about to say the same. I think for Model 3 and Y in that price range wherein it is comparable to the price of Toyota Camry and Honda Accord; Tesla is a good vehicle to consider in that price range and is probably a better vehicle. But, for the model X and S, I think they are overpriced. It is crazy that Model S is as expensive as a nicely equipped 7-series, even i7 or S-class & EQS. Moreover, Model X is as expensive as the BMW X7 M50i (same for iX) and even more expensive than a fully loaded X7 40i, and much more than a fully loaded X5 PHEV which has similar size or even larger!!! If you add the Auto-pilot option to any of these Tesla options including the upgraded wheels and interior colors, it becomes at least 15K and up to 40K more expensive all of these other options!!. Nobody care about cost of gas when investing 100K+, and if it's about driving a silent vehicle, then i7 and iX offer way more luxury, options, build quality and is more of a true vehicle for less or same price; so I really wonder (at least post 2022) why would anyone consider a Tesla at that price range given the other better options available?

Last I checked a fully loaded Tesla Model X it was close to 150K!!!!! Same for Model S.... Think now fully loaded they are ~135K; crazy! Piece pf plastic interior on wheels and battery pack for 135K? How come then BMW i7 s offered for same or lower price.... Same for MB EQS, it is offered at same price as Model S!

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-16-2023 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 11:25 AM   #9
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
I stopped at a Tesla dealership a while back and was not impressed. They put me in a customer's vehicle (by mistake) so I could review the features and then complained that I was in a customer's vehicle

That said, I do believe they have self-driving tech that is ahead of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 04:00 PM   #10
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

The only tesla really worth buying is a 6 seater model x. Third row really does seem way more spacious than most 3 row vehicles I've tried.
I would pick a 6 seater x over other 6 seater suvs.
Falcon doors also make it MUCH easier to load and unload kids. This is a huge plus. Other than a minivan, no other vehicle offers this convenience

All other teslas are just great commuting cars and save you a lot on gas money.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #11
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamkhan View Post
The only tesla really worth buying is a 6 seater model x. Third row really does seem way more spacious than most 3 row vehicles I've tried.
Falcon doors also make it MUCH easier to load and unload kids. This is a huge plus. Other than a minivan, no other vehicle offers this convenience

Honestly, since our current X5 is NOT being used as a luxury vehicle but rather as a family in-town vehicle (i.e.: we use it to pick up and dropp off kids to and from schools, groceries, local in-town trips, parks, dirty-mud trips to near by river/play-area, etc), I would have considered the Tesla Model X and I think it would have been much better than our X5 for that use. However, not at the current price! Especially that I buy this vehicle for this particular use always pre-owned. The X5 is a much much cheaper vehicle for us than what we would have to paid for the Model X. I do have other vehicles in the garage that are used as luxury vehicle and for luxury trips plus long trips, so that is not a problem, but I agree on the topic that Model X is a perfect vehicle from some uses wherein luxury is not important, but the price is so high for that use!. BMW X5 still offers luxury despite not really needed for this use, while also being much much cheaper!. Even a 40i X7 would fill that gap at much lower price. Tesla is so overprices for what it offers (which is basically nothing other than being a good reliable basic vehicle)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 05:57 PM   #12
007 G07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '05 Odyssey EX-L

Garage List
Coming back to how on Earth Teslas even qualify as luxury vehicles in the first place I don't think Teslas, 3/Y and S/X alike, measure up to true luxury vehicles. My take is that Teslas create a sort of facade among their prospective consumers with gimmicks and, perhaps more significantly, the whole minimalistic interior design. I think all those factors are like a ruse devised by Tesla, taking maximum advantage of people who gave into the trend of, frankly, what even German luxury vehicles started pivoting towards in late 2000s and 2010s: technology is synonymous with luxury and the luxuriousness of a vehicle is defined by predominantly its technological gadgetry as opposed to what luxury vehicles used to stand for.

While there came a point in the 2010s where German luxury automakers caught themselves and started to get back on track with making true luxury cars (with the technological innovations continuing at an unprecedented pace, of course), Tesla merely capitalized on the tech part, including the never-ending and unfulfilled promise of fully autonomous driving, allowing massive amounts of susceptible people to misconstrue ultra-minimalistic/futuristic interiors and gimmicky gadgetry for true luxury.

And, oh, let's not begin on the quality and refinement - or, the lack thereof that plagues Tesla vehicles along with its consumers' (false) sense of luxury. One of my friends switched from a '16 Model S P100D to a C8, another friend of mine went from a '21 Model X Plaid to an X7 M60i (on order), another from a '21 Model S Plaid to 992 911 Turbo S, and the list goes on. Quality/refinement and just the absence of luxury were cited as the main reasons for their switches.

Teslas do have their appeal - but as basic cars that get people from point A to point B. In my opinion, it would be certainly overstepping the boundary to bestow Teslas with luxury status ... But it happens, time and time again. .... Sigh ...
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-16-2023, 06:19 PM   #13
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Having both an X5M (and many, many BMWs over the years) and a Model S Plaid, I can see both sides. There’s no question the Tesla is lacking in some areas of traditional luxury…some of that intentional with using “vegan” leather, i.e. vinyl. And the interior layout is good in some ways and kind of amateurish in others. But it makes a great daily driver and is shockingly fast. Really nothing can touch it in normal driving conditions, off the line, rolls, etc. Not even close. Most people have no idea how fast it is. And it’s very quiet and very smooth. If you’re stuck in traffic, it’s easy to cruise along or use autosteer. The tech features are great. And the lack of an engine and need for a transmission tunnel give it big advantages in storage space and packaging. The low center of gravity gives great handling. The yoke is a bit odd, but can be replaced with a round steering wheel. So it really works nicely as a daily driver. Cars like a 911 turbo cost 2-3x as much, so they should be more luxurious, but it’s also not as fast or as usable as a daily. The M8 was a strong contender, but not nearly as fast, and is missing some key features (like a moonroof/panoramic roof). I also have an F-type SVR…no slouch…that I’ve hardly touched since I got the Plaid. In the end, it just depends on your priorities and how you define luxury.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 12:11 AM   #14
kuku
Rep
Drives: Benz

Quote:

I totally agree on the utility side of Tesla. Most people don't realize all the a hundred years of over-engineering efforts of engine power, output curve, turbo lag, maintainability, transmission smoothness, suspension tuning, center of gravity, are getting literally reset by everything electric vehicles can offer. It's like gas cars are born unequal to begin with.

However, I'm confused by this: "Third row really does seem way more spacious than most 3 row vehicles I've tried."
model x has a curved profile at the back. 3rd row leg room in Model X is considerably worse than many (most) of 3rd row SUVs, like X7.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #15
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuku View Post
I totally agree on the utility side of Tesla. Most people don't realize all the a hundred years of over-engineering efforts of engine power, output curve, turbo lag, maintainability, transmission smoothness, suspension tuning, center of gravity, are getting literally reset by everything electric vehicles can offer. It's like gas cars are born unequal to begin with.

However, I'm confused by this: "Third row really does seem way more spacious than most 3 row vehicles I've tried."
model x has a curved profile at the back. 3rd row leg room in Model X is considerably worse than many (most) of 3rd row SUVs, like X7.

A 7 seater model X is the worst design. Barely any room in 3rd row. But owing to the space between the two captains chairs, anyone sitting in the 3rd row of a 6 seater model x will have much more room to stretch their legs out. I've taken many long trips in a 6 seater X and have comfortably sat in the 3rd row for long hours.

I agree with the curved shape being claustrophobic, however. That's where the 7 seater kills the whole design and utility.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #16
2001S15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 911 Targa / 24 X7 / 08 S2K

I can sell you a 1987 Yugo for $90k doesn't make it a luxury car

Teslas are mostly bought by tech nerds who have never experienced luxury before. Living in the SF Bay Area, I can tell you - they used to drive Priuses back when they were the "it" thing. Now Tesla is here, and it's probably a little nicer inside than a Prius. So from their perspective it's lux!

But if you've ever owned any German car you know better.

Worst part of being Elon Musk has gotta be being a billionaire but having to be driven around in a Tesla...
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-17-2023, 06:14 PM   #17
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

I agree the Tesla is nothing special, sort of like a people mover. But here in California the Model 3 & Model Y are #1 in sales overall, even beating the Rav 4 & Camry. There are people around my area who would never buy an American Car that are now driving a Tesla, it's crazy how many there are around here. It's great, they are buying an American Car built here in California, so let the parade continue, while I drive my M5 and my wife the X7.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 06:16 PM   #18
kuku
Rep
Drives: Benz

Quote:
A 7 seater model X is the worst design. Barely any room in 3rd row. But owing to the space between the two captains chairs, anyone sitting in the 3rd row of a 6 seater model x will have much more room to stretch their legs out. I've taken many long trips in a 6 seater X and have comfortably sat in the 3rd row for long hours.

I agree with the curved shape being claustrophobic, however. That's where the 7 seater kills the whole design and utility.
I've never sat in the 3rd row long enough. Even with the 6 seater, your legs would have to be stretching sideway to the middle space right? it doesn't sound comfortable going to long trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 09:11 PM   #19
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
I agree the Tesla is nothing special, sort of like a people mover. But here in California the Model 3 & Model Y are #1 in sales overall, even beating the Rav 4 & Camry. There are people around my area who would never buy an American Car that are now driving a Tesla, it's crazy how many there are around here. It's great, they are buying an American Car built here in California, so let the parade continue, while I drive my M5 and my wife the X7.
Just don’t try to race one!

https://youtu.be/j7YqdGt19tw
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:03 PM   #20
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Try to jump to a Tesla forum and dare you say or ask anything that implies Tesla is not a good vehicle.

You will immediately get a pool of 100 users aggressively attacking u. Sometimes I wonder if the demography of Tesla users are mainly 18-22 years old college kids that thinks their Tesla is their girl friend (or 15 years old kid users on behalf of their parents). I thought BMW users are sensitive and take it too personally, but Tesla forums appears to be the worse. Mbenz forums seem to have good balance (more open minded users for critique). Last year I had a thread asking about CyberTruck potential; I deleted my account and never went back to Tesla forums since then.

The issue I have with Tesla is that we all know it is a good basic car, but it's not the typical vehicle you can count on for all and every type of use. It's a good daily drive and that's it. I don't see how I could set in it for hours driving from one state to another. That would be the most boring and most harsh drive anyone could take. No massage seat, no cooling seats, no high-end speakers, no ambient air packages, no rear seat entertainments, no true adaptive "euro-spec like" headlights, no roomy SUV option, no soft ride compared to DHP or MBC, NO AM SORRY, and yet fantom braking?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #21
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Try to jump to a Tesla forum and dare you say or ask anything that implies Tesla is not a good vehicle.

You will immediately get a pool of 100 users aggressively attacking u. Sometimes I wonder if the demography if Tesla users are mainly 18-22 years old college kids that thinks their Tesla is their girl friend. I thought BMW users are sensitive and take it too personally, but Tesla forums appears to be the worse. Mbenz forums seem to have good balance (more open minded users for critique).

The issue I have with Tesla is that we all know it is a good basic car, but it's not the typical vehicle you can count on for all and every type of use. It's a good daily drive and that's it. I don't see how I could set in it for hours driving from one state to another. That would be the most boring and most harsh drive anyone could take. No massage seat, no cooling seats, no high-end speakers, no ambient air packages, no rear seat entertainments, no roomy SUV option, no soft ride compared to DHP or MBC, NO AM sorry, and yet fantom braking?
I think most of us here can agree on the merits on other brands of vehicles, and there is no perfect vehicle out there. Having said that, Tesla followers are more a cult than anything else imo, they company and it’s products can do no wrong.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #22
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:

You will immediately get a pool of 100 users aggressively attacking u. Sometimes I wonder if the demography of Tesla users are mainly 18-22 years old college kids that thinks their Tesla is their girl friend (or 15 years old kid users on behalf of their parents). I thought BMW users are sensitive and take it too personally, but Tesla forums appears to be the worse. Mbenz forums seem to have good balance (more open minded users for critique). Last year I had a thread asking about CyberTruck potential; I deleted my account and never went back to Tesla forums since then.

The issue I have with Tesla is that we all know it is a good basic car, but it's not the typical vehicle you can count on for all and every type of use. It's a good daily drive and that's it. I don't see how I could set in it for hours driving from one state to another. That would be the most boring and most harsh drive anyone could take. No massage seat, no cooling seats, no high-end speakers, no ambient air packages, no rear seat entertainments, no true adaptive "euro-spec like" headlights, no roomy SUV option, no soft ride compared to DHP or MBC, NO AM SORRY, and yet fantom braking?
There’s no question that the interior design and materials are not as good as BMW’s, but just a couple of clarifications. The ride is extremely smooth, much more so than my X5M. It’s probably the smoothest car I’ve ever had. It also has a feature where it automatically raises the and softens the suspension over rough roads. NVH is very low because there’s no mechanical engine/transmission noise or vibration. As a result, the sound system sounds better than I’ve heard in any other car, because it’s otherwise very quiet inside and there’s a huge speaker across the whole base of the windshield. They definitely have heated and cooled seats (it’s actually an automatic function where it puts seat heating or cooling on automatically depending on weather conditions). No on massage seats, but I only used that once on the cars that had it, and it seemed like a useless feature. Also, there’s definitely a rear seat entertainment screen with Netflix, Disney+, and Youtube, plus games, not to mention that those can we watched on the 17” front screen. The navigation is also much easier to use (and to silence or end guidance, a big pet peeve on BMWs), just like on an iphone. And call clarity, text reading, calendar integration, and text dictation are the best I’ve seen. Also nice touches like summon, auto park, autosteer, auto garage door open/close when you get to a certain range, turn signal cameras, sentry function, very high resolution backup camera, etc. The tech is great. The only thing really holding it back is the interior. One of the biggest mistakes IMO is that the yoke is so wide that it blocks the view of the screen button that controls all of the car functions. I’m not sure how they messed that up.
Appreciate 1
kuku0.00