BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > OG M2 - conservative tune, how to?

03-20-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
ThatBlueM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 DCT

OG M2 - conservative tune, how to?

Hi,

before I go into what I'd like to achieve, I'd like to say that I know next to nothing about tuning, so please keep that in mind

Now, what I'd like to do is get about extra ~50hp in the simplest way possible. I was looking at Dinan Stage 1 chip for the M2, but 1) I can't find that anywhere in Europe, and 2) I've been informed that that might not be the best way to go about it anyway, and that it's better to have the ECU flashed at a tuner's shop, and probably upgrade the intercooler and whatnot. Please excuse possible errors and incorrect terms in my description, like I said, I'm a complete novice.

So...can I get some recommendations on what's the best way to go about getting the car up to about 420-ish hp, without spending several thousand USD? Is this even advisable? I would consider replacing IC and maybe some other components (?) if necessary. What I do know is that I will definitely not be replacing the turbo as that is way too expensive, and seems excessive. Another thing -- if possible at all, I would like the car not to get any louder than it already is with the stock exhaust.

Oh yeah, I do track the car from time to time, so I'm definitely looking for it not to be overheating as a result of the tune.

Not sure if I was supposed to give any other details.

Thanks!
      03-20-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlueM2 View Post
Hi,

before I go into what I'd like to achieve, I'd like to say that I know next to nothing about tuning, so please keep that in mind

Now, what I'd like to do is get about extra ~50hp in the simplest way possible. I was looking at Dinan Stage 1 chip for the M2, but 1) I can't find that anywhere in Europe, and 2) I've been informed that that might not be the best way to go about it anyway, and that it's better to have the ECU flashed at a tuner's shop, and probably upgrade the intercooler and whatnot. Please excuse possible errors and incorrect terms in my description, like I said, I'm a complete novice.

So...can I get some recommendations on what's the best way to go about getting the car up to about 420-ish hp, without spending several thousand USD? Is this even advisable? I would consider replacing IC and maybe some other components (?) if necessary. What I do know is that I will definitely not be replacing the turbo as that is way too expensive, and seems excessive. Another thing -- if possible at all, I would like the car not to get any louder than it already is with the stock exhaust.

Oh yeah, I do track the car from time to time, so I'm definitely looking for it not to be overheating as a result of the tune.

Not sure if I was supposed to give any other details.

Thanks!
Since you're in Europe, gas quality is not an issue.
Least cost(must do especially for tracking): Intercooler, charge pipe then Bootmod3 ECU tune. I think Stage 1 93octane will get your job done.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 03:46 AM   #3
ThatBlueM2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great, thanks. Any recommendations for the intercooler and charge pipe (make and model, available in EU)?
      03-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #4
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks. Any recommendations for the intercooler and charge pipe (make and model, available in EU)?
Wagner EVO 2 Competition
MST chargepipe, Turbo Inlet pipe.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
ThatBlueM2
Enlisted Member
Rep

So after doing some additional research, I've decided to to with MHD tune, and then do88 IC, charge pipe and boost pipe (would appreciate thoughts on these).

At this point I've decided not to upgrade the downpipe because I want a really good catted downpipe (most likely Active Autowerke GESI G-Sport), which is 1800€, and that's not the kind of money I'm looking to spend at the moment.

MHD stage 2 (390hp) doesn't require a downpipe, while the high-flow downpipe is listed as required for the stage 2+ (430hp), so for now I'm thinking I'll just do stage 2, and later down the line I can upgrade the downpipe and go stage 2+.

If I went stage 2+ without the downpipe upgrade, what would happen? Just worse performance, or would I potentially be risking damage to the turbo / engine / something else?
      03-25-2023, 11:01 PM   #6
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So after doing some additional research, I've decided to to with MHD tune, and then do88 IC, charge pipe and boost pipe (would appreciate thoughts on these).

At this point I've decided not to upgrade the downpipe because I want a really good catted downpipe (most likely Active Autowerke GESI G-Sport), which is 1800€, and that's not the kind of money I'm looking to spend at the moment.

MHD stage 2 (390hp) doesn't require a downpipe, while the high-flow downpipe is listed as required for the stage 2+ (430hp), so for now I'm thinking I'll just do stage 2, and later down the line I can upgrade the downpipe and go stage 2+.

If I went stage 2+ without the downpipe upgrade, what would happen? Just worse performance, or would I potentially be risking damage to the turbo / engine / something else?
MHD stage 2 = BM3 stage 1
MHD stage 2+ = BM3 stage 2
It's just your own preference of which app you are gonna use
search on youtube about those two apps and decide after. They both are great.

Your will need a downpipe for more HP tuning like MHD and BM3 suggest. Don't go bold on this one, not worth it
Appreciate 1