E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Advice for a First Timer

01-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
bobnweave13
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Advice for a First Timer

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, and for good reason -- just last week I ordered my first BMW. I picked up a 2009 328i sedan, monaco blue/beige with nav, power/heated seats, ipod adapter, 17" wheels. Needless to say, I've never been more excited in my life. It should be ready in a month or so, about 2 weeks after my 25th birthday (Yay cheap insurance!)

I have a couple questions though that I was wondering if you all could help me with. First, I'm wondering if there are any particular etiquette rules among BMW owners. This may sound silly or stupid, but I drive a Jeep wrangler right now (which I'm keeping for a summer/beach car) and we all politely wave when we pass other Wranglers. Are there any similar etiquette rules I should know about once I get behind the wheel of my new 328? Along the same lines, I'm kind of wondering what to expect, I guess. I've read a bunch of posts here where posters have said other people drive overly aggressive around them, etc. Is there a lot of truth to that, or is it mostly a perception thing?

Besides that sort of stuff, I had a few questions about modding. I don't know very much about cars, really, and I don't know what order I should go in when I decide to start modding my car. If I planned on getting a new performance intake, exhaust and new wheels, which should I do first? Also, as far as wheels go, I've noticed people posting about replica wheels here. Are those for show only, or for everyday use?

I'm just looking for a bit of advice, sort of a "if you could do it over again, what would you do with your first BMW" situation so I can get the best out of the experience. Also, any "what NOT to do" scenarios would be good -- like "Don't show up to the dealership when your car is ready wearing the BMW shirt, jacket, hat, watch, and driving gloves you bought from the Lifestyle catalogue while waiting for your car to be built."

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

As for the waving and such....I personally don't do it. Really depends where you live. Some people give a "thumbs-up," however, I don't feel a connection with most of the E9X drivers where I live as most of them are mommy's or old guys.

As for the modding part, it's extremely subjective and you're gonna need to do a bit of research on that part.

If you care about your cars paint don't have it machine washed or washed by anybody but yourself. That's all the advice I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Hello and Welcome
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
welcome to your second home
      01-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hey congrats and welcome.

As far as etiquette goes.. most people don't really care. These are the people that buy their car mostly as a status symbol lol

Every now and then you'll run across another enthusiast who will give you the but my experience has been mostly with e46 M3 drivers who speed right by me and cut me off lol

As far as modding it is pretty subjective. I'd search around the forums for things you like. Most people here start with the OEM aero lip, painted reflectors to get rid of the ugly orange, matte black front grills and GP Thunders (angel eye replacement)

As far as replica wheels.. They are for everyday use. The "fit and finish" is often not as good as the originals but they hold up for everyday use and the majority of them look great. You basically get the "look" for a fraction of the cost. See BBS Lm reps or CSL reps. There are a lot of vendors here that can help you out with that.

There are also many options for dropping your car.. spring/strut combos or coilovers seem to be the most popular.

Goodluck!
      01-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Captain Oblivious
My car is for sale
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly for max fuel economy

Welcome!! Congrats on your first BMW. I'm about to sell my first Bimmer, so I know how you feel.

As far as etiquette, what I've found is this: There is only etiquette among enthusiasts (i.e. people with modded cars). I've found most BMW drivers couldn't care less about other BMW drivers. There does appear to be some common courtesy among enthusiasts though. Example: My car is slightly modded, and I was driving down the highway and pulled up along an E46 ZHP (aka performance package) and the guy driving gave me the "BMW Curt Head Nod" so I returned it. I do notice people tend to drive more like assholes when I'm in my BMW. It feels like they're trying to prove something. It doesn't happen often, but don't be surprised if it does.

As far as modding: Do what makes you happy. Bread N Butter mods are typically: Intake, Exhaust, Wheels, Suspension. I personally think a lowered BMW with stock wheels looks better than a BMW with stock suspension and aftermarket wheels. But again, do what makes you happy. Some advice though: You get what you pay for, and modding a BMW isn't cheap. I bought a replica M3 bumper and a replica ACS roof spoiler. The bumper was made out of cheap material that looked wavy. Check this out (huge picture warning). The replica roof spoiler humped up in the middle, and the paint on it has faded and looks nothing like the rest of my car. Each replica part cost me about half of what the real version cost when I bought it, but after replacing them, it would have been much cheaper to just get the real deal.

Just spend some time looking around and reading posts and you'll get a feel for the community and the way most people feel about modding, service, etc.

Good luck with your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Be safe, use protection.

Modding is very personal, browse around here to see which mod suits YOUR taste. I would recommend you put Hello Kitty stickers on your windshield because I myself is an avid Kitty fan and think it looks awesome on anything and everything, but will you do it? I'm guessing not.
      01-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
bobnweave13
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations and for all the extremely helpful advice. It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at work scouring these forums for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
If you care about your cars paint don't have it machine washed or washed by anybody but yourself. That's all the advice I have.
Any particular brand of soap/wax you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
The only times I talk to other BMW driver's is during Meets. I usually drive with my windows down as I live in So Cal and it's good weather sometimes other people would say something to me, whether they are saying something mean or complimenting my car, I just ignore it and roll up my window cause I don't want any part of it. People might think it's a pretty A-Hole thing to do, but I don't want things to escalate to something bad. But I give heads up and winks to other people who acknowledge me with the same.
      01-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Congrats and welcome! It is an exciting time. Get ready for the longest wait of your life! LOL. There are alot of mods out there. I would search in that section, and you will have a much better idea of what you want / how to get it, etc.

The only thing I can comment on is how others drive around me. Its actually pretty scary how many people try to race me and cut me off. Even in pick up trucks like last night! Dont really get it. Was not this bad when I had my A4. But it could just be the area - most drive over aggressively around here.

Good luck, and post pics when it arrives!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnweave13 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the congratulations and for all the extremely helpful advice. It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at work scouring these forums for info

Check out the detailing subform on this site. Or go to autopia.org (they are really anal over there).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

welcome.

the wave is a Jeep Thing, I would Know I have owned 3 Wranglers.

Modding is very subjective and personal, what some consider the coolest thing others consider ricer, I tend to lean for the OEM mod look, look through the photo gallery,tons of cars for inspiration.

Good luck with your first bimmer, drive safe and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

dont think too hard into it. just play everything by ear and have fun man. thats what im doing.
2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnweave13 View Post

BMW sells some kind of soap and car care stuff. Your dealer will be able to rip you off for those.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
exo-ak-dk
Black Magic Wheels - BMW
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90

welcome to the forum
Appreciate 0