E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Going into service tomorrow, should I have them upgrade software?

01-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
montegoz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4

Going into service tomorrow, should I have them upgrade software?

My car: 07 335 coupe
New turbos around June 08, this was the last time car was in for service.

Just un-installed my JB2HR.

Tomorrow the car is going to the dealer for a normal maintenance with oil change and brake fluid flush. I have read through all recent posts regarding the boost lag and wastegate issues with software flashes.

Question: should I request that they upgrade all software or leave everything alone?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

My understanding is that they DO NOT UPGRADE ANYTHING unless there's a need to do it. I believe the DME upgrade takes 3-4 hrs anyways so they usually prefer the vehicle overnight. I may be wrong but I believe BMW works with the thinking, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... or if the customer ain't bitchin', let them suffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegoz4 View Post
My car: 07 335 coupe
New turbos around June 08, this was the last time car was in for service.

Just un-installed my JB2HR.

Tomorrow the car is going to the dealer for a normal maintenance with oil change and brake fluid flush. I have read through all recent posts regarding the boost lag and wastegate issues with software flashes.

Question: should I request that they upgrade all software or leave everything alone?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
DAKH1
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Oh, you been to my service department also...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

to answer the question i think youre getting at ................. yes, ask them to upgrade it
      01-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
gt3fever
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, G87

the newest version seems nice. try it and let us know
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

turbos replaced in june???? why? i tried to get my software updated yesterday for the lag bullshit and the guy told me the new progman won't do anything to help. buuuut he also told me that if i had a tune on my car and didnt tell them about it, when they hook it up to the machine it will show an error and immobilize the engine. hmmm, pretty sure that won't happen.
      01-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by branabolic View Post
turbos replaced in june???? why? i tried to get my software updated yesterday for the lag bullshit and the guy told me the new progman won't do anything to help. buuuut he also told me that if i had a tune on my car and didnt tell them about it, when they hook it up to the machine it will show an error and immobilize the engine. hmmm, pretty sure that won't happen.
sounds like a lot of BS ...... immobilize the engine
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
montegoz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4

It was somewhat common for early 07 build 335 to need new turbos. I didn't own the car when they were replaced so I dont know the symptoms.

The car went in this morning. Head tech told me he wouldnt be upgrading the software unless it was completely needed (which its not). The check engine light came on this morning driving to the dealership, and the turbos were not turning on at all, the car had hardly any power. What could I have done on the un-install on the JB2 to cause this? I double checked my work, and did put back the boost solenoid. Hopefully when I reinstall the JB2 the problem will resolve itself. I just told the tech not to worry about the check engine, and he said that was fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
sounds like a lot of BS ...... immobilize the engine
tell me about it. i have a boost guage but im stock for now and the guy kept tryin to like stare into my soul when he was tellin me about that. he was like "ARE YOU SURE YOU DONT HAVE A TUNE". i was like nope pretty sure, wanna take a look?
      01-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

I have a boost gauge too, and been to a few dealers with it (never bothered take it out) both with the Dinan tune and stock. No one ever said a word to me. Boost gauge is harmless but I suppose it depends on dealer whether they hassle you or not. In the end, they can't really do anything about it. Its not proof of anything other than a boost-gauge ofcourse. Oh, and I have aftermarket wheels too.
      01-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
It was somewhat common for early 07 build 335 to need new turbos. I didn't own the car when they were replaced so I dont know the symptoms.

The car went in this morning. Head tech told me he wouldnt be upgrading the software unless it was completely needed (which its not). The check engine light came on this morning driving to the dealership, and the turbos were not turning on at all, the car had hardly any power. What could I have done on the un-install on the JB2 to cause this? I double checked my work, and did put back the boost solenoid. Hopefully when I reinstall the JB2 the problem will resolve itself. I just told the tech not to worry about the check engine, and he said that was fine.
DO I UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY?:
your can has no power after un installing the JB and you brought your car into the dealer that way ??

if the answer to my above question is yes, then my response to you is:
SHIT MAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THIS FORUM?? EMAIL TERRY right NOW via the other forum and find out all you can.

if you uninstalled the JB wrong and the BMW tech finds traces of a piggyback install, your warranty can be immediately voided.

my 2 cents

Last edited by midlife; 01-14-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Errhh. That doesn't make much sense to me. Why did you bring it in when you knew there was a problem with the way you unistalled the tune. You told the tech not to worry about the check engine light- are you serious?? You might as well have brought the tune in and asked the tech for help re-installing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
I just told the tech not to worry about the check engine, and he said that was fine.
And you trust your tech to do work on your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
Errhh. That doesn't make much sense to me. Why did you bring it in when you knew there was a problem with the way you unistalled the tune. You told the tech not to worry about the check engine light- are you serious?? You might as well have brought the tune in and asked the tech for help re-installing it.
i do not know where the OP is, but if i were him, i would go to the dealer TOMORROW with some excuse and just pull out his car.

then i would ask terry what was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
And you trust your tech to do work on your car?
hopefully the tech is an idiot and will ignore the check engine as the OP requested.

or maybe the tech is smart and reported this to the service mgr.
asking a BMW tech at a dealer to ignore a check engine light seems to be a lot more than a bit suspicious
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

wow...this has to be the first i have heard of this...Warranty is gone dude!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
hopefully the tech is an idiot and will ignore the check engine as the OP requested.

or maybe the tech is smart and reported this to the service mgr.
asking a BMW tech at a dealer to ignore a check engine light seems to be a lot more than a bit suspicious
It's like... what he meant to say is "yeah, I'm too cool to care about check engine lights dude... they're for pussies! So just ignore it!"

Next time he should try this, and see what happens: "Ummm...yeah, so if you spot a broken tmap sensor clip thingy, don't worry about it, and just move on, ok?"

Ok... I'll stop bugging him!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
waiting for the outcome.....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
waiting for the outcome.....
i honestly hope he does not have warranty issues because of this.

i wish him luck...even though he is asking for it in some ways
Appreciate 0