BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-15-2023, 07:11 PM   #1
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

A few quick questions about a new m40i and BC

so yes I've read all of your posts about these 2 important items but I want to be sure I'm clear on them:

1. ASS. in my current s30 I simply coded the button to remember last setting. In the m40i I understand there is no physical button and if it has the newer 11.xxx software instead of 7.xxx, that I cannot code it to stay off? Is that correct? Did this work in older software version, just curious. More importantly, what is the easiest workaround? From what I read any variant of sport mode will turn ASS off? If that's true then I can code the car to start in sport individual and just make those settings 'comfort' ( I don't recall seeing these settings in BC however I did not look either)? Is this the only way? I guess it's fine as sport standard and sport plus are just a push away so I'm not really loosing anything except the ability to make a custom sport mode via individual? Not a big deal I suppose.

2. Exhaust valve. obviously I'd like this to be open but it seems the only way is something about pulling fuse 203 while its on, hot, and open? I'm not sure I really want to mess with that. when exactly is this valve open? I think I read only in sport plus? or in any mode after a certain rpm? Just trying to understand the risk vs reward on this one. as a side note, my son's friend came by the other day with his m340 and showed us that he simply pulled the plug and zip tied it to the valve, so he did that to my son's m340 and I was a little nervous at first but it's been running fine and no lights on dash or CEL's... it does sound better at start up etc., I assume it's the same concept on the m40i? Is there any way to do this via Bimmer Code somehow? I cannot find anything on it nor do I see any option while I was in BC just now putting my x3 back to "stock" settings lol. Also, if the m340 has to go in for service do I have to plug this back in first I assume? they might freak out of they see this or they don't care? It doesn't seem to throw a light on the dash...

Another side note, and I'm sorry if many of you know all this already but I didn't and any help you can give me is appreciated. Since the m40i is coming soon, I figured I'd start putting some of these coding options back to stock.
While doing so, some options would not allow me to reverse the settings without going to a back up. i.e. the seatbelt chime, the warning screen at startup, the m logo screen etc. I was also nervous about this but did the first dated backup and they went back to stock with no issue. I then went to expert mode to reverse the TPMS screen we added, and I'm not sure if I was in the wrong place or the setting wouldn't let me reverse it, so I did a backup of that main screen and it disappeared without issue. I did NOT want to start messing around in expert mode or change a setting that I cannot read or remember lol...
figured since the car is going back to them on trade, it would be best to put as much back as I could. I only left 1 setting, ASS remember on... thought it's the least I can do for the next owner lol.

thanks for any clarification on these items.
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

anyone?
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatJoey View Post
so yes I've read all of your posts about these 2 important items but I want to be sure I'm clear on them:

1. ASS. in my current s30 I simply coded the button to remember last setting. In the m40i I understand there is no physical button and if it has the newer 11.xxx software instead of 7.xxx, that I cannot code it to stay off? Is that correct? Did this work in older software version, just curious. More importantly, what is the easiest workaround? From what I read any variant of sport mode will turn ASS off? If that's true then I can code the car to start in sport individual and just make those settings 'comfort' ( I don't recall seeing these settings in BC however I did not look either)? Is this the only way? I guess it's fine as sport standard and sport plus are just a push away so I'm not really loosing anything except the ability to make a custom sport mode via individual? Not a big deal I suppose.

2. Exhaust valve. obviously I'd like this to be open but it seems the only way is something about pulling fuse 203 while its on, hot, and open? I'm not sure I really want to mess with that. when exactly is this valve open? I think I read only in sport plus? or in any mode after a certain rpm? Just trying to understand the risk vs reward on this one. as a side note, my son's friend came by the other day with his m340 and showed us that he simply pulled the plug and zip tied it to the valve, so he did that to my son's m340 and I was a little nervous at first but it's been running fine and no lights on dash or CEL's... it does sound better at start up etc., I assume it's the same concept on the m40i? Is there any way to do this via Bimmer Code somehow? I cannot find anything on it nor do I see any option while I was in BC just now putting my x3 back to "stock" settings lol. Also, if the m340 has to go in for service do I have to plug this back in first I assume? they might freak out of they see this or they don't care? It doesn't seem to throw a light on the dash...

Another side note, and I'm sorry if many of you know all this already but I didn't and any help you can give me is appreciated. Since the m40i is coming soon, I figured I'd start putting some of these coding options back to stock.
While doing so, some options would not allow me to reverse the settings without going to a back up. i.e. the seatbelt chime, the warning screen at startup, the m logo screen etc. I was also nervous about this but did the first dated backup and they went back to stock with no issue. I then went to expert mode to reverse the TPMS screen we added, and I'm not sure if I was in the wrong place or the setting wouldn't let me reverse it, so I did a backup of that main screen and it disappeared without issue. I did NOT want to start messing around in expert mode or change a setting that I cannot read or remember lol...
figured since the car is going back to them on trade, it would be best to put as much back as I could. I only left 1 setting, ASS remember on... thought it's the least I can do for the next owner lol.

thanks for any clarification on these items.
1) Yes, if there are issues with coding in Auto Start Stop, just code it to start in Sport Individual and set as preferred. I would set it all to comfort if that's what you want.

2) Pulling the fuse is a 1 second, fully reversible job... there is no zip tying, its easy and simple.

3) I would not about this lol...at all.
      05-18-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I've had my exhaust valve opened for over a year now by pulling out the fuse. It's been in service twice and never been flagged so far.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      05-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
1) Yes, if there are issues with coding in Auto Start Stop, just code it to start in Sport Individual and set as preferred. I would set it all to comfort if that's what you want.

2) Pulling the fuse is a 1 second, fully reversible job... there is no zip tying, its easy and simple.

3) I would not about this lol...at all.
thanks just wanted to be sure : )
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #6
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
I've had my exhaust valve opened for over a year now by pulling out the fuse. It's been in service twice and never been flagged so far.
this is good to know.. does it make much of a difference ?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 07:38 PM   #7
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

so this is real simple? pull 203 while in sport plus and after driving (so it's hot) and as long as the valve is open when fuse is pulled, we're good?
What about putting it back, does car have to be on in same conditions or it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:37 PM   #8
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatJoey View Post
this is good to know.. does it make much of a difference ?
It's louder and an okay compromise instead of going for an after market exhaust. There is a hint of drone around 2k rpm in comfort, but only if its quiet in the car.
I don't think putting the fuse back is an issue. Make sure car is off.
Likewise, make sure the car is running when you pull the fuse out.
Default state of the valve is to be shut.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      05-19-2023, 07:41 AM   #9
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
It's louder and an okay compromise instead of going for an after market exhaust. There is a hint of drone around 2k rpm in comfort, but only if its quiet in the car.
I don't think putting the fuse back is an issue. Make sure car is off.
Likewise, make sure the car is running when you pull the fuse out.
Default state of the valve is to be shut.

doesn't the m40 now come with the MPE exhaust from factory? so with the valve open and the MPE, it sounds like it will be enough and sound pretty good in general?
Appreciate 0