BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 2023 backup assistant cause damage to side mirror

06-20-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
Adiser
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

X7 2023 backup assistant cause damage to side mirror

Ok so my wife was taking the car (few months old) out of the garage, used the backup assistant (has used many times successfully) but in the way out the side mirror hit the garage entrance and broke (the casing has broken and glass is coming out though it is still attached). While I have been very cautious of this backup assistant given it goes really fast - I would not expect to make such mistakes. Car wasn’t part tight or anything so this is completely unexpected. Questions:
1) has anyone had similar experience with backup assistant ?
2) has anyone tried to repair side mirrors? How do I go about searching for a good body shop for x7.
3) while my wife took it on herself - I wonder if BMW be liable for this in some way? How do I reach out to BMW to atleast let them know it happened

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 08:58 PM   #2
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

The backup assistant doesn't go fast, it goes at whatever speed you want it to. You use the brake to regulate speed. Just like when you're normally backing up in R gear.

BMW considers themselves to be not liable, according to them it's your responsibility to monitor the system. Same as if your wheels get curbed while using autopark.
Appreciate 2
alic9613.50
      06-20-2023, 09:16 PM   #3
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

I was going to mention the same thing - a driver is responsible to control the speed using the brake pedal. At higher backup speeds the assistant has to turn the steering wheel faster, which, I guess, makes it harder to follow exactly the same path. So the higher the speed the more deviation there will be from the parking path.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 06:19 AM   #4
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
I was going to mention the same thing - a driver is responsible to control the speed using the brake pedal. At higher backup speeds the assistant has to turn the steering wheel faster, which, I guess, makes it harder to follow exactly the same path. So the higher the speed the more deviation there will be from the parking path.
I think this is only true for pre-LCI. I think 2023+ might have been updated to full capability where driver doesn't always has to use the brake. That's what I heard anyways but no idea since I have a 2022 and have to use the brake.

But yeah BMW probably won't accept liability. That's why all these pop up warnings exist telling you that you are still responsible for monitoring.
Appreciate 1
Chi648894.00
      06-21-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Wife did this on a Volvo XC90 we had. Repair should be simple and cheap.

As for the liability, that’s in your wife. Like others have said, BMW won’t in any way take responsibility for this. The assistant is just that, an assistant. The driver is still ultimately responsible.

Just imagine if someone rear ended another car on the highway when “highway assist” is on. Who’s at fault…the driver. What if backing out of a parking space and someone is hit. The X7 has an emergency stop function, but if it doesn’t work, BMW is not going to take blame.

Anyway, good luck with the repair. Personally I don’t use the backup assist for this very reason…I don’t trust it.
Appreciate 1
Chi648894.00
      06-21-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Wife did this on a Volvo XC90 we had. Repair should be simple and cheap.

As for the liability, that’s in your wife. Like others have said, BMW won’t in any way take responsibility for this. The assistant is just that, an assistant. The driver is still ultimately responsible.

Just imagine if someone rear ended another car on the highway when “highway assist” is on. Who’s at fault…the driver. What if backing out of a parking space and someone is hit. The X7 has an emergency stop function, but if it doesn’t work, BMW is not going to take blame.

Anyway, good luck with the repair. Personally I don’t use the backup assist for this very reason…I don’t trust it.
Same here. I didn’t order with driver assistance package either. Dealer could order at the time with full leather and tried to slip the driver assistance package and I had to remove that option.

Personally not there yet to trusting the vehicle. If calibration is off or gets messed up owner/driver still to blame with all the precautions
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #7
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi6488 View Post
Same here. I didn’t order with driver assistance package either. Dealer could order at the time with full leather and tried to slip the driver assistance package and I had to remove that option.

Personally not there yet to trusting the vehicle. If calibration is off or gets messed up owner/driver still to blame with all the precautions
Well once again, it's an assistant and great to have but I completely agree with not trusting it but that's why it's only hands off for 7 seconds before beeping at you. No way in hell would I trick the system to go longer. However, on multiple road trips, recent one was a straight 900 mile drive, the driving package helped relieve stress immensely. As much as we drive, I would hate to not have it too.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2023, 11:55 AM   #8
Adiser
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

thanks folks. I didn’t expect them to take liability. I did reach out to them and their response was so generic almost as if they also did not even read the whole message. Anyway I ordered the side mirror and waiting for service folks to install it.

Regarding this feature - I have 2023 model and it takes the full control and doesn’t require me to brake it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #9
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

i tried using it to back out of my garage and stopped after one time. I have a basketball pole on the edge of my driveway and it senses it and steers hard away from it, to the point where it almost swings the front end into the pole. And it seems to ignore the other car that may be parked on the right side of the driveway and wants to back right into it to get away from the basketball pole. Basically, it spazzes out and is totally useless.
Appreciate 0