BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Exclamation Rumors of BMW 2-series appearing on US shores

This was posted by someone who has in the past been a reliable source of upcoming BMW plans:

The convertible and coupe will follow closely the overall ideas of the CS1 Concept - The idea was just too precious to toss away - Knowing how much the car appealed not only in it's Geneva debut but BMW also shipped it over to the USA for the 02 NY Autoshow where it also had exceptional appeal.

Whilst Europe are expecting a range of engines similar to the 1er the US markets will receive a 223i and a 235i. With the emphasis firmly on driver enjoyment for the baby coupe the benchmark is of course the 2002 and it's inheritor the E30.

But with driver enjoyment much the focus that BMW are evaluating the unorthodox choices : such as the lotus Elise for handling and precision. The Baby ///M car when it arrives will use an engine developed from the WTCC car only with six cylinders and close to over 300 BHP. The four cylinder model badged Si will be available in the 3dr 1er giving BMW a rival to the Golf GTi .
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ
This was posted by someone who has in the past been a reliable source of upcoming BMW plans:

The convertible and coupe will follow closely the overall ideas of the CS1 Concept - The idea was just too precious to toss away - Knowing how much the car appealed not only in it's Geneva debut but BMW also shipped it over to the USA for the 02 NY Autoshow where it also had exceptional appeal.

Whilst Europe are expecting a range of engines similar to the 1er the US markets will receive a 223i and a 235i. With the emphasis firmly on driver enjoyment for the baby coupe the benchmark is of course the 2002 and it's inheritor the E30.

But with driver enjoyment much the focus that BMW are evaluating the unorthodox choices : such as the lotus Elise for handling and precision. The Baby ///M car when it arrives will use an engine developed from the WTCC car only with six cylinders and close to over 300 BHP. The four cylinder model badged Si will be available in the 3dr 1er giving BMW a rival to the Golf GTi .
Good news! Did he give any kind of timeline? Thanks for posting

EDIT: NM, I saw it over at GCZ.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Brava
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ
The Baby ///M car when it arrives will use an engine developed from the WTCC car only with six cylinders and close to over 300 BHP. The four cylinder model badged Si will be available in the 3dr 1er giving BMW a rival to the Golf GTi .
Close to or over 300hp?

Furthermore, in Europe the Golf GTI is available as a five door and has been in the past. So the lack of two doors does not a GTI rival make. At present there's a bit of a gap between the 150hp 120i and the 265hp 130i with the latter being in competition witht the R32 which will soon be upped to the R36. To me it'd be much more likely that this gap will be filled with a 200hp-ish engine which WILL compete with the GTI, not in the number of its doors nor on price but purely on engine output and thus performance.

Brava

Click to see my BMW Japan Red 120i manual

To me a grudge is nothing more than a place to pork your cor.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I don’t know about the rest of you- but I find it incredibly frustrating that BMW is being so tight-mouthed about the 2-series.
I’m not sure the photoshops and spyshots that have been posted are accurate.
What I would love to see is some concrete evidence- a leaked photo of the real thing...afterall...BMW must be testing it in city driving, in hot weather conditions-
I guess my frustration is beginning to show.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside
I don’t know about the rest of you- but I find it incredibly frustrating that BMW is being so tight-mouthed about the 2-series.
I’m not sure the photoshops and spyshots that have been posted are accurate.
What I would love to see is some concrete evidence- a leaked photo of the real thing...afterall...BMW must be testing it in city driving, in hot weather conditions-
I guess my frustration is beginning to show.
I feel the same as well :iono:. It better be perfect now that I have waited so long.....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Damn not a peep from BMW lately!?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Considering that the 1er cab just started testing this Spring, I dont' think you'll see the car testing stateside til' next year. Could be wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Brookside
Major
Rep

EniLab has posted that the 2-er coupe will be testing soon (fall-winter 2007) on German roads disguised only in light camo (sans the fat suit of the 2-er cabrio we've seen).
I'm looking forward to finally seeing some pics of the real thing popping up in the near future.

recent photoshop interpretation-
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The fender flares and wheels strike as very aggressive and the proportions look more Z2 that 230i. Very different from what I sense is the most generally accepted foretelling of what the 2er coupe will look like (as we have said before):

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wow I really really really love the photoshop brookside posted. The only change I would make is to the headlamps to bring them more insline with the current style on the 1-series, 3-series (especially the new coupe). THat photshop design appears from the front too look too much like a dodge magnum. But other then that, perfect!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Brookside
Major
Rep

I found the photoshop on a Russian website...have no idea it's real provenance...or how new it is.
I'm with Freak on this- aside from what look to be tractor sized wheels,
it's pretty darn nice.
Do I get a sense that there's a Bangle butt back there?
Spud is right tho- this is pretty radical- and probably a far cry from what we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Don't get me wrong; I'd drive it. But it doesn't strike me as having the BMW balance we all value.

'freak's right about the headlights: They're almost an afterthought. But I think those front flares would have to change to accomodate a headlight more inline with the current trend...

Brookside, I'm pretty sure a 180 on that ps would should a Z4-like trunk lid...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Brookside, I'm pretty sure a 180 on that ps would should a Z4-like trunk lid...
Funny...I thought this photoshop originated from a 6-series....?:iono:
I still see a bangle-butt....I've searched and not found a rear view of this photoshop.
It'll all be moot when we start seeing spy-pics of the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
It'll all be moot when we start seeing spy-pics of the real thing.
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang: :roundel: :drinking: :thumbup:

Sorry for the gratuitous use of smilies... moment of weakness...:smile:
Appreciate 0